Scope For Leopard Hunt

I have yet to hunt a leopard(hopefully in the next few years), but after speaking with a few guys on this site, I also decided on a fire dot Leupold. Lots of knowledge and experience to draw on from this site!!!
 
I would go for 3-12 power, you can always set it lower, but not higher if you using lower power. Like bassaindia says, all the big names are good, I would opt for Swarovski or Zeiss.

I totally agree with you.
Zeiss + Swarowski are the market leader,but take a look at Schmidt und Bender 2,5-10x 50 Polar.
Unfortunately over 2.000.- Euros.................
In old times you got a dozent leopards for that money ,including a daughter from the local chief (or two :whistle: ).
Foxi
 
After careful consideration I have pulled the trigger on the Leica ERi 2.5-10 42.
I am not sure if there is a bad scope in this price point.At a grand I think it should be a good value,Im not sure why they are so heavily discounted but so be it.

Thanks for all the advice it was a fun discussion.

I will post after I get it on a rifle and see if we have a winner!

Perhaps somewhere in Africa a Leopard just heard a twig snap and had a nervous feeling in his belly................
 
After careful consideration I have pulled the trigger on the Leica ERi 2.5-10 42.
I am not sure if there is a bad scope in this price point.At a grand I think it should be a good value,Im not sure why they are so heavily discounted but so be it.

Thanks for all the advice it was a fun discussion.

I will post after I get it on a rifle and see if we have a winner!

Perhaps somewhere in Africa a Leopard just heard a twig snap and had a nervous feeling in his belly................

Steve, where did you buy from? Opticsplanet?
 
I got mine from scopelist.com but eurooptic had them for a grand also
 
Headed off to hunt spots in July! I'm using a Luepold VX 6.
I'm going in April with the same, Leupold VX6 2-12 illuminated reticle.
I love leupolds and have all my life. I've had bad luck with some brands but always success with Leupold.
Regards,
Philip
 
I'm going in April with the same, Leupold VX6 2-12 illuminated reticle.
I love leupolds and have all my life. I've had bad luck with some brands but always success with Leupold.
Regards,
Philip
Great choice no doubt,I think a VX 6 will be my next scope purchase.Better than half way there with Cabelas card points(y)
Best of luck on the hunt.
 
The OP has purchased his scope already so I would like to make a few observations.

I mount 30 to 40 scopes a week and am very curious about them. These are nothing but personal observations.

Everyone's eyes are different and most people see better out of certain brands of scopes than others. I see better through Zeiss and Meopta than I do Swarovski. I see better out of Leupold than I do Nikon. Your experience could be just the opposite.

As a general rule I believe scopes of European origin are better in low light than Pacific rim scopes with Leupold being the wildcard. VX-6's are just flat out good scopes for any light conditions. Stepping down to the VX-3 line, I'll take my Meopro's any day though.

I believe glass quality is more important than objective size for low light.

Many 30mm tube scopes(under $1,000.00) have one inch internals so the only thing you gain is a stronger tube.

My favorite reticle by far is the German #4. Quite often people purchase scopes that are excellent in low light but don't get a shot because they can't see the reticle.

I have one scope with an IR, and they are great early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I bought the scope for hunting at night but don't need it then because I can see the reticle just fine through the spotlight.

Many many people are under scoped and over magnified.

I too don't care for 50mm and larger objectives.

YMMV.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,748
Members
170,159
Latest member
MagdaleBell
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top