AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Safari Club International has filed comments with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in support of the importation of a black rhino trophy from Namibia.

SCI presented the fact-based conclusions of the FWS itself, members of CITES and a prestigious scientific body. Highlights of SCI’s comments:

· The applicant reportedly paid $275,000 to the Namibian government for rhino conservation efforts and made an additional contribution of $20,000 for anti-poaching efforts.

· The harvested animal provided 4,500 pounds of meat to local families.

· FWS has stated that “[m]oney accrued from trophy hunting of black rhinos has been used to fund annual black rhino counts, improve rhino crime investigation and prosecution, and to ensure the traceability of all rhino horn owned by Namibia.”

· Some of the money from the hunts is returned to the conservancies, providing incentives for the residents to protect the local black rhino populations. Read full CITES report for details.

· FWS recognized that under Namibia’s rhino strategy, the black rhino population more than doubled between 2001 and 2012.

· The International Union for Conservation of Nature issued a 2016 briefing paperthat recognized sport hunting, including specifically rhinos, as critical to Namibia’s success in community-based natural resource management.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Attachments

• iucn_informingdecisionsontrophyhuntingv1.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 108

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you