SANParks to cull 2,600 animals, says 'disguised trophy hunting' not allowed

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ls-says-disguised-trophy-hunting-not-allowed/

SANParks to cull 2,600 animals, says 'disguised trophy hunting' not allowed

SA National Parks (SANParks) has issued a tender for the culling more than 2,600 animals in six of its 19 national parks.

The tender was issued to “credible service providers which have experience and capability in the culling industry”. The 2,620 animals that need to be culled include ostrich, gemsbok, warthog and zebra.

The tender has a number of conditions with which the winning bidders must comply, including that no “disguised trophy hunting” was permitted.

The winning bidders must also ensure the harvested meat was processed through a registered abattoir. Being in possession of or consuming liquor during the culling operation, or bringing any alcohol to any part of the culling operations, was strictly prohibited.

The conditions also require that all refuse generated by culling operations must be removed from the park by the operator.

“This includes ammunition, shells and domestic waste, and so on. Under no circumstances should any of the above items be disposed of with the entrails (should the latter be disposed of in the veld)," the tender states.

The contract will be for one year.

SANParks seeks to have these animals culled:

• Namakwa National Park — 250 ostrich, 200 gemsbok;
  • Mokala National Park — 400 warthog, 200 springbok, 20 waterbuck, 100 ostrich;
  • Addo Elephant National Park — 1,000 warthog, 100 kudu, 100 plains zebra;
  • Camdeboo National Park — 10 deer, 100 ostrich;
  • Tankwa National Park — 80 ostrich; and
  • Karoo National Park — 60 ostrich.
Dr Luthando Dziba, SANParks managing executive for conservation services, explained the cull in an interview on Cape Talk on Tuesday.

“We strive to ensure we continually improve the resilience of the ecosystem to ensure biodiversity is maintained or even improved. Culling is one of the tools we have as conservation managers to ensure we remove excess animals. If we have too many animals, especially in some of our smaller parks, that could negatively affect the state of our ecosystem,” Dziba said.

The closing date for the tender is August 14 at 11am.

How much are they preppered to pay? if they want someone to pay them to do their cull they can feck off.
Markcz

It’s a tender, you put in a price to do the job.

Addo would be a good one. I like shooting Warthog.

Very interesting if the price is right and one can get into the country.

In China there is an overpopulation of human beings and yet we do not go out to kill yellow people ... It is one thing to be an exterminator and another to be a hunter, because they do not do the dirty work.
Sorry for the terms used. But human stupidity has no limit.

I'm referring to the people of SA National Parks (SANParks)

Give an answer as a hunter who does not take pride in killing animals. I take pride in how I hunt, hunting is a pleasure never to kill. The day I am glad to kill I put down my rifle ... That is why I responded that way.
Everything is based on how each one sees and feels the game.
One man wrote that in favor of conservationism he hunted a lot of elephants, but only those that had a lot of ivory. You come to the conclusion that you did it to bulk your wallet.
Conservationism begins by protecting its habitat and not polluting it or removing spaces for its habitat. Not much less killing in quantity.

Last edited:
Wow!! Are you actually a hunter?

Wow!! Are you actually a hunter?

I have hunted for 20 years and I consider myself an apprentice hunter ...
It all comes down to how everyone sees and feels hunting.

Last edited:
Well everytime you hunt and kill an animal you are participating in culling. Everywhere in North America as well as most other Countries. Game/ Wildlife divisions, commissions, branches or whatever draw up harvest regulations each year to control the number of many species. This is done to protect the health and welfare of the species as well as the habitat they live in and on.
So when you kill one of these species you are in effect culling for the Govt. whether you shoot a female or the largest trophy of that species you are still culling to keep the proper numbers of that species in line for health and viability. Many ranches in Texas where numbers can be counted properly are under review by both the landowner and Game branch and quite often Biologists hired for the job. The proper number of animals is determined and the overage is then culled/killed. Would you think it would be a better idea to allow this animals to propagate to the point of starvation or a major disease to wipe them out because of overpopulation. This type of mentality could also lead to the devastation of vegatation that might never recover or completely wipe out all the animals on the property due to weakned condition and stress.
I could go on but there is volumes of books readily available on Wildlife management. You should read some. I have been on many ranches in TX and quite a few in SA and the ones with proper management are a sight to behold. And yes all of this was done with proper culling as one of the tools.

If you ever come to my country with pleasure, I invite you to share a week of hunting.
And what country is that?

Ok..... I'm going to jump in here for just a second. First off @Graham Hunter I agree with you. BUT please bear in mind that JLF is using a translator to write his posts, and some can be lost in translation. What I think JLF is trying to say, is that he enjoys the hunt, not the kill. And that culling that appears as mass killing is something he is opposed to. (I'm thinking the idea of hundreds of animals being killed as quickly as possible by any means is what he doesn't consider true hunting)

Ok..... I'm going to jump in here for just a second. First off @Graham Hunter I agree with you. BUT please bear in mind that JLF is using a translator to write his posts, and some can be lost in translation. What I think JLF is trying to say, is that he enjoys the hunt, not the kill. And that culling that appears as mass killing is something he is opposed to. (I'm thinking the idea of hundreds of animals being killed as quickly as possible by any means is what he doesn't consider true hunting)
Yes...

FYI......I've hunted all my life (I'm 70). While some of my hunting white tail deer was group hunting (more social), I much prefer scouting, hunting and taking an animal solo...enjoying the chase and nature. Some of us seem to enjoy the kill....others, the hunt. BUT.....what I hear from some is the supporting the local economy, supporting conservation, etc is just as important.
Now, what my wife and I do yearly is hunt Africa for one week THEN....we work with wildlife and on game reserves in Africa for several months. And, this is the point of my conversation here: if anyone is interested in supporting the real conservation efforts in Africa and being hands on involved with wildlife management with the "real" conservation people....I'd be happy to share info with you on a tremendous organization we work with (I do not get paid for this). Whether it be dehorning rhinos, moving lions, caring for orphan animals, or being involved with game capture....the experiences and needs are fantastic.
Projects vary with 2 week minimum time periods per project. These projects do not involve hunting directly, but we often work with animals used in that industry.

IMG_5109.JPG
29.JPG
P1110823.JPG
P1110382.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg