Safari Club International 50th Anniversary Convention A Record Breaker 2022

The main reason for the attendance boost is everyone was in pandemic prison for the last two years.
It'll be interesting to see the attendance at the Harrisburg Sportsman's show this February. With no jab or mask mandate, it should be a blockbuster.

I am excited about Nashville. I’ve never been to SCI or DSC, and have zero desire to go to anything in Vegas. But Nashville is only an 8 hour drive, which would be faster than flying since the closest big airport is Chicago and that’s 3 hours.

I was at this years show on Thursday and it didn't seem all that busy. That being said I've been going to hunting/firearms industry shows for 20 years,, its an antiquated model and the only people benefitting from it are the people that are selling the floorspace for the events, and the unions. A large booth on the main floor at SHOT Show just down the road in Vegas cost a half million bucks. Someone please explain that to me. I have no idea how much booth space cost at SCI. Getting out of vegas is a good idea.

I am excited about Nashville. I’ve never been to SCI or DSC, and have zero desire to go to anything in Vegas. But Nashville is only an 8 hour drive, which would be faster than flying since the closest big airport is Chicago and that’s 3 hours.
If it will be your first time, you'll be like a kid in a candy store.

OK. I see that Philip is directing this toward my post. I get what he says. I was just surprised the show costs more than a membership. I would have figured it the other way around; $120 for membership and $65 for the show. I do not belong to SCI obviously(or DSC). I do belong to the local Izaak Walton League and pay $110 annually for that. Also, lets be honest here. For many on this site $120 to a show is peanuts. For me it is not. I have seen some of your posts Phil and I can never dream to afford to go to the places that you have been to. I have been to SA once and am going again for what will likely be the last time because that is all I can afford. I don't mean that in a bad or envious way, I am just saying that all of us on this board have a common goal to preserve and pursue hunting with the resources they have, be they great or small. And yes I do understand what the fees go for. Maybe I am wrong but I would think higher membership fees would generate more revenue than a show would.
Also, as far as Tanks' response about it keeping the "tire kickers" out, are they bad to allow in? I would think if more people come then some of them would buy or contribute that maybe they would not if they were not there. Is the show put on in such a way that crowds need to be limited? I ask this not to defend the browsers. I am asking out of ignorance and trying to learn something here.
What @Tanks is mentioning here is the long term observation that outfitters will tell you that more business gets done at SCI than DSC. At Dallas there is lots of people and yes lots of business gets done no doubt but there are simply different crowds at these shows. As you know and appreciate DSC is $20 and you walk in the door with no further commitment to anything DSC. At SCI you must be a member to get on the show floor. There is no doubt that $20 bring a different crowd versus $120.
I wish you would consider being a member of SCI. When you get the publications for a while you begin to appreciate all that is really going on for conservation.
Philip

OK. I see that Philip is directing this toward my post. I get what he says. I was just surprised the show costs more than a membership. I would have figured it the other way around; $120 for membership and $65 for the show. I do not belong to SCI obviously(or DSC). I do belong to the local Izaak Walton League and pay $110 annually for that. Also, lets be honest here. For many on this site $120 to a show is peanuts. For me it is not. I have seen some of your posts Phil and I can never dream to afford to go to the places that you have been to. I have been to SA once and am going again for what will likely be the last time because that is all I can afford. I don't mean that in a bad or envious way, I am just saying that all of us on this board have a common goal to preserve and pursue hunting with the resources they have, be they great or small. And yes I do understand what the fees go for. Maybe I am wrong but I would think higher membership fees would generate more revenue than a show would.
Also, as far as Tanks' response about it keeping the "tire kickers" out, are they bad to allow in? I would think if more people come then some of them would buy or contribute that maybe they would not if they were not there. Is the show put on in such a way that crowds need to be limited? I ask this not to defend the browsers. I am asking out of ignorance and trying to learn something here.
Our San Angelo SCI Chapter banquet is coming up March 5th. I hope some of you can come. It costs $120 per person or $1000/table of 8. We are a small town by some folks standards but we should have 600 people there and be sold out.
If a fellow can fly to Africa, hunt, and have a little taxidermy done how is it that going to a show or banquet is cost prohibitive?
Philip

I will probably go to the Nashville convention as it’s just 3 hours away. It’s highly unlikely that I will ever go to Vegas or Reno again.

Phillip, it’s an interesting observation on the number of bookings done at SCI vs DSC. In recent years my friends have done more business at Dallas, but that is a small data set and short of a broader set of data both of our observations are likely purely anecdotal.

I’m just glad we are back to the shows, whichever one you choose to attend.

If a fellow can fly to Africa, hunt, and have a little taxidermy done how is it that going to a show or banquet is cost prohibitive?
Philip

Its not necessarily a question of being cost prohibitive, more one of whether the buyer feels the admission represents a fair exchange of goods and services. I've attended a number of times, but cancelled this year due to a last minute case of covid. I've never felt that the admission or $20 beers was ever a fair value. My primary motivation is that I live in Alaska and the convention is held in the dead of winter. Its a good excuse to go somewhere warm but still a $2000 trip no matter how I cut it.
That said, next year I will either attend DSC or nothing at all - neither the wife nor I have an interest in Nashville.

Its not necessarily a question of being cost prohibitive, more one of whether the buyer feels the admission represents a fair exchange of goods and services...

Other than conventions one would not be able to see a number of vendors of all sorts all within a few days.

I am all booked for 2022 and was looking for a Botswana big tusker hunt for 2023. So, I was able to chat with a few outfitters that specialize in that. I was also looking for a bespoke double rifle or two and again it was good to talk to factory people from Rigby, Wesley Richards etc..

I also needed another half shelf for my Pendleton safe and the vendor sold me one of them at 5PM on Saturday so did not have to have it shipped.

Also, talked to a ton of various vendors and ordered another Rand's hat (a dark gray Fedora for formal wear).

Overall was happy with the show. It was also nice to see various friends and acquaintances.

One surprise was to see my leopard being featured as advertisement at CMS booth.
1643576521974.png

Its not necessarily a question of being cost prohibitive, more one of whether the buyer feels the admission represents a fair exchange of goods and services. I've attended a number of times, but cancelled this year due to a last minute case of covid. I've never felt that the admission or $20 beers was ever a fair value. My primary motivation is that I live in Alaska and the convention is held in the dead of winter. Its a good excuse to go somewhere warm but still a $2000 trip no matter how I cut it.
That said, next year I will either attend DSC or nothing at all - neither the wife nor I have an interest in Nashville.
I agree Milo. And here is the deal. There is more to it than saying if you can afford to go to Africa then you can afford to go to the show. Yes, I can afford to go to the show but as I stated previously, the price is not insignificant for me. I worked a TON of overtime (10-12 hour days, most Saturdays and Sundays) in the last 5 years to be able to afford 2 trips to SA. I would not have been able to go otherwise. Every person on the forum has a different level of financial success. I don't know anyone's level so I would not be presuming what one would consider cost prohibitive. And again, for the third time, my initial post was based on the cost of the show versus the cost of membership. I was saying I would have thought the membership would be higher than the show.

I agree Milo. And here is the deal. There is more to it than saying if you can afford to go to Africa then you can afford to go to the show. Yes, I can afford to go to the show but as I stated previously, the price is not insignificant for me. I worked a TON of overtime (10-12 hour days, most Saturdays and Sundays) in the last 5 years to be able to afford 2 trips to SA. I would not have been able to go otherwise. Every person on the forum has a different level of financial success. I don't know anyone's level so I would not be presuming what one would consider cost prohibitive. And again, for the third time, my initial post was based on the cost of the show versus the cost of membership. I was saying I would have thought the membership would be higher than the show.
The marketing concept is actually the opposite of what you think would be best for good reason. Lots of SCI members will never attend the show no matter the cost. Keeping the membership cost fairly low equates to a larger membership base for political power and several other reasons. Once people are members, SCI can then market to them and try to convince them to go to the show, get involved in chapters, donate to pro-hunting causes, submit animals to the record books and book hunts. Starting with a low buy in and then building from there is a common and successful marketing strategy.

Good point Scott. It certainly seems to work for them. I maintain a membership because I like the work they do regardless of how I feel about their show or the record book/awards program.

The marketing concept is actually the opposite of what you think would be best for good reason. Lots of SCI members will never attend the show no matter the cost. Keeping the membership cost fairly low equates to a larger membership base for political power and several other reasons. Once people are members, SCI can then market to them and try to convince them to go to the show, get involved in chapters, donate to pro-hunting causes, submit animals to the record books and book hunts. Starting with a low buy in and then building from there is a common and successful marketing strategy.
Scott: Good point. That was what I was asking and did not understand. Appreciate your explanation.

I will probably go to the Nashville convention as it’s just 3 hours away. It’s highly unlikely that I will ever go to Vegas or Reno again.

Phillip, it’s an interesting observation on the number of bookings done at SCI vs DSC. In recent years my friends have done more business at Dallas, but that is a small data set and short of a broader set of data both of our observations are likely purely anecdotal.

I’m just glad we are back to the shows, whichever one you choose to attend.
It goes back and forth. The older outfitters will usually tell you SCI has the edge. But truthfully most everyone, vendors and attendees are at both shows so how do you really know?
they are both fun and time permits I’ll go to both and support both!
Philip

Hope to see you at DSC. I can certainly see the need of a mid winter trip as an AK resident!

We were there on Thursday and Friday. We were supposed to go on Saturday also, but wasn't anything left to do or see. So we went sight seeing around Vegas.
I not buying into the " record number of people" unless it was standing room only on Saturday or people just didn't stay at the show very long and left early.
This is a video I made of the show . Its taxidermy heavy but the amount of people in the show for both days was what it shows in the video. Very bare. They also had 6 rows for venders blocked off ( un used) so it was less square footage used than normal. So not sure about the more people than 2 show combined. Well not buying it at all !

I’m a member of both DSC & SCI and I personally find them a little different from each other in convention feel and club initiative. Now I am a proud supporter of both, but these are my thoughts.
I live in the DFW area so belonging to DSC is awesome and convenient. I’ve enjoyed the convention and even booked a Limpopo PG trip the year before the covid shutdown. A little more local vendor representation but alot of the same vendors between the two so no big difference. There are more people it seems at DSC but that also is due to the floor plan I feel. Big differences to me is the DSC seminar/dinners and their monetary focus is on direct projects (boots on the ground) in African hunting countries. It’s a focus on important conservation and hunting preservation but just done on a more personal level. Cost of membership is a wash in the end between the two.
To me SCI is the overall hunting rights advocate group to protect hunting globally. SCIF does the same project driven charity as DSC but to me it is about “First For Hunters”. They have the much needed presence in Washington DC to fight our fight and of course it takes money. Fair enough. I went to this years SCI convention all 4 days, booked a trip, gathered lots of info for future adventures, and had a fantastic evening at the banquet Friday night listening to MOH winner Edward Byers Jr and Donald Trump Jr. Now that cost more but the entertainment value was worth it to me. People spend more for other entertainment events like football but to each their own. I personally like the different feel they both have…..but at the end of the day they are both supporting us especially in a time we need them the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you