Safari Books Wanted

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Looking for a few good books on the following- Safari/Hunting, dangerous game rifles, travel.

No specific titles come to mind although hard covers are prefered, I'm looking to stock up on reading material to pull me away from the computer screen.

Exclusion list of books I've already read = Capstick, Jim Corbett, ballistics in perspective, Big Game and Big Game Rifles.

Send me a PM if you have some good reading material you can let go of.

Deewayne2003 I recommend going to abebooks.com and doing some searches.

Must have books: leather bound copy of Pondoro Taylor’s African Rifles and Sporting Cartridges will run as little as $40. Anything by Robert Ruark. A perfect shot by Kevin Robertson. WDM Bell’s Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter. Teddy Roosevelt’s book on African Safaris (can’t remember the title), Craig Boddington’s safari books.

Abebooks is an awesome resource for finding used and out of print books globally.

Absolutely agree with RH. Used Abebooks dozens of times when I was contracting and was primarily buying archaeology books concerning the Middle East and the Roman Empire. Later bought more than a few English gun and rifle books from them.

Ahhhh books.....nothing better to whet the hunters' appetite....Yes, eBay and Abebooks are good places to start, as is Safari Press and Trophy Room Books.....Most of these came from antique book stores that almost every village in England and Wales used to have - days before the internet ruined the fun of the hunt for a great book! One of the best places ever for a book safari was a little town that was full of antique book stores called Hay-On-The-Wye.....scoring a great title back then was like stalking in the bush - you never knew what you might come across.
books.jpg

Forgot to list “wandering of an elephant hunter” by Bell; I’ve read it already.

Artic97 as you mention the hunt for good books, that is what I am trying to replicate in the digital age.

By placing this add I was hoping basically to conduct a literary “Driven hunt”.....

Who knows what dust covered books might break from the cover of an over looked or under appreciated book shelf.... or box headed to an estate sale.

Still looking

Forgot to list “wandering of an elephant hunter” by Bell; I’ve read it already.

Artic97 as you mention the hunt for good books, that is what I am trying to replicate in the digital age.

By placing this add I was hoping basically to conduct a literary “Driven hunt”.....

Who knows what dust covered books might break from the cover of an over looked or under appreciated book shelf.... or box headed to an estate sale.

Still looking
I am working at sea right now, but when I get home in a few weeks I will dig around and see if I can find any titles I am willing to let go of. I have been collecting for 40 years, so I am always upgrading editions with better ones, etc. I usually gift the less desirable editions to friends and family members but I will look and see what I can find and let you know.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.24.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.24.21 PM.png
    877.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.24.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.24.22 PM.png
    822 KB · Views: 98
Teddy Roosevelt’s book on African Safaris (can’t remember the title
African Game Trails, definitely worth reading.

Green Hills of Africa and Under Kilimanjaro are Hemingway’s semi-fictionalized accounts of his safaris from the 1930s and 1950s.

Also Kevin Robertson's other book, Africa's Most Dangerous (it's more of a excellent technical document on arms/ammo primarily for buff, but if everyone read it they wouldn't repeat the same questions over and over on here!) :p 'Have a whole library of 'em and have read some 10x or more, but not ready to part w/ 'em just yet...Also Denis Lydel, he wrote the book but it was edited and re-issued by Capstick (he did that a lot. Update others' writings with a pretty pic on the cover.)

1622148702362.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the books are nicer to have, another member here shared this website with me (and they have 905,000 books on hunting Africa, online!) https://www.hathitrust.org/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.03.28 AM.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.03.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.03.29 AM.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 100
Ahhhh books.....nothing better to whet the hunters' appetite....Yes, eBay and Abebooks are good places to start, as is Safari Press and Trophy Room Books.....Most of these came from antique book stores that almost every village in England and Wales used to have - days before the internet ruined the fun of the hunt for a great book! One of the best places ever for a book safari was a little town that was full of antique book stores called Hay-On-The-Wye.....scoring a great title back then was like stalking in the bush - you never knew what you might come across.View attachment 403716
I got in on the London book stores just before the internet really took off and became what it is today. The shop owners in London and to a lesser extent Paris were constantly complaining about the internet and Amazon. This was in about 2000- 2010 or so. It was a lot of fun and occasionally I would be in a shop that was pushing 200 years old. African and archaeology books always topped my interest.

Safari press.com. Has some really nice books. Their in Huntington Beach California

"Safari" by Bartle Bull and then all the rest will follow.

"Safari" by Bartle Bull and then all the rest will follow.
The first Safari related book I ever bought...around 1990 or so. A great book.

You looking for entertainment or enlightenment?
Both,

I like reading for knowledge about the calibers and also about the real world experiences of people who hunted (especially elephant) for a living.

Also I’ve taken a liking to Jim Corbett & Anderson’s exploits of hunting man eaters in India; especially the methodology of both the hunters and the details of the man eaters they pursue.

Posted my FIL safari books in Classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber