Ruger Safari Magnum Project

The last of the work is now done and I'm very pleased with the result. The last of the work was rust bluing and that came in at $360, a little below the estimate.

Now the fun starts.

PXL_20240509_183249394.jpg
PXL_20240509_183356716.jpg
PXL_20240509_183522986.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The last of the work is now done and I'm very pleased with the result. The last of the work was rust bluing and that came in at $360, a little below the estimate.

Now the fun starts.
Turned out very nice! I have an RSM I am considering having the stock re-checkered & finished.

Okay, I know this will sound like a stupid question but what is the purpose of two screws in the fore end?
Not a stupid question. The RSM has an under barrel rib, part of the reason it's so frick'n heavy. The front screw goes directly into that rib and ties the barrel to the stock; the barrel is not floated.

The real interesting thing is the other screw, that goes to the recoil lug that floats underneath the barrel; the recoil lug is not directly attached to the barrel. There is a large metal "strap" attached to the recoil lug on one end and loops around a sort of "teat" on the receiver on the other end. The front action screw screws into this teat at the typical Ruger 60-degree angle there by tightening the entire contraption. Very, very strange.

It is a fine looking rifle.
I got a semi finished stock in English walnut. Very nice grains. But I decided to oil finish it. Still work in progress. When I am done it will have rose wood grip cap and fore end. I will be changing the front site too. Going to get a new bottom metal made (machined) so it can hold 4 cartridges. It will be either 416 Rigby or 458 lott. Don't know yet. Recoil pad will also be changed. Have recoil redusers I nstaled. Piller bed it. Long way to go.
Krish

Going to get a new bottom metal made (machined) so it can hold 4 cartridges.
I too would like to have new one-piece bottom metal made. If you know of someone that can do it, or better yet has done it, please let me know. Morris at Alaska Arms has CNC code for a belly floorplate but that just replaces to existing Ruger floorplate.

I'm also considering modifying the recoil system on this thing, it is the strangest beast I've ever seen.

I work with lot of machinist. I am going to ask one of them. When I find out I will let you know.
Krish

Reactions: ACM
Not a stupid question. The RSM has an under barrel rib, part of the reason it's so frick'n heavy. The front screw goes directly into that rib and ties the barrel to the stock; the barrel is not floated.

The real interesting thing is the other screw, that goes to the recoil lug that floats underneath the barrel; the recoil lug is not directly attached to the barrel. There is a large metal "strap" attached to the recoil lug on one end and loops around a sort of "teat" on the receiver on the other end. The front action screw screws into this teat at the typical Ruger 60-degree angle there by tightening the entire contraption. Very, very strange.
Plus two crossbolts. Did Ruger think it was for shooting tanks? Strange indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AveryOox04

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani