Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
It looks like domestically RSA is still a mess as it relates to flying with a rifle. Airlink appears to be the only airline who is carrying guns. As we are looking at hunting the Eastern Cape next year the only flight as of now that handles firearms from JNB to PLZ is at 6:30PM. So if you came on Delta you would have a 24 hour layover. If you came on the other flights that arrive early AM you sit at OR Tambo all day after all that flying to get there! Nothing looks good right now for traveling these routes.
If, and it’s a big if, Mango gets licensed to carry firearms as they are rumored to be doing then there are mid-day options for some of these flights. Does anyone know he status of Mango or other carriers changing their firearm handling policy?
Please post any news here on RSA domestic flights.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Phillip, I dont think that you can really go on that at the moment. Only business flights are flying currently. That means zero leisure travel.
Air travel at the moment, domestically, is at a minimum.
Wait for our domestic flights to open to full capacity, then check again for flight options.

wipartimer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
It may be incorrect information, but in talking to Gilbert from Africa Sky this February about limited airline options, he mentioned that Mango and others were looking into modifying the baggage holds on their some of their planes to accommodate firearms. Does anyone know if firearms are separated in the baggage hold of a plane?

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Phillip, I dont think that you can really go on that at the moment. Only business flights are flying currently. That means zero leisure travel.
Air travel at the moment, domestically, is at a minimum.
Wait for our domestic flights to open to full capacity, then check again for flight options.
Good point that we just need to wait and see what happens domestically. It just makes it hard to plan arrival times etc.
I hope some of you guys can keep us informed as the schedule changes are updated.
Philip

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Good point that we just need to wait and see what happens domestically. It just makes it hard to plan arrival times etc.
I hope some of you guys can keep us informed as the schedule changes are updated.
Philip

Will certainly do that. As of now, there are zero flights daily between Johannesburg and the entire Eastern Cape.
This will open more, once we relax the restrictions to the next level, which should hopefully be not too far away.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
As far as the Eastern Cape next year, am in the same boat. Agree it's too early to make any airline plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Larson ll

Latest profile posts

when is my donation due?
trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!