Ron Thomson On Good Morning Britain - Piers Morgan Rages As Elephant Killer Tells Him I Feel Nothing

Bailey Vinac

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Ron Thomson on Good Morning Britain. This article was from a few days ago.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...h-elephant-killer-big-game-hunter-Ron-Thomson

ITV Good Morning Britain: Piers Morgan RAGES as elephant killer tells him ‘I feel nothing’

GOOD MORNING BRITAIN got off to a fiery start this morning as Piers Morgan returned to the interviewing chair. He was instantly riled up when he spoke to a elephant hunter which had confessed to coldly killing 5000 animals.

Good Morning Britain saw Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid return to presenting the show this morning and viewers tuned in to see Ron Thomson, a big game hunter on a live link from Pretoria, South Africa being interviewed about killing 5000 elephants during his career.

Keen to find out why Ron had slaughtered so many animals, which include several other African species, Piers asked him why he spoke about his work with such pride.

“You proudly stated you’ve killed 5000 elephants, shot them to death,” the journalist began. “You caused an outrage when it came out last week, the language you used, spoke with such pride and no penance, you thought it was fine.

“The elephant population has dropped from 1.3million to just 4000 thousand. You proudly talk about having shot to death elephants, and people are curious why you defend such a practice.”

“That’s because you don’t understand,” Ron hit back. “You know nothing about the management of the elephant. Those elephants should be culled every year to bring them down to a level they do not damage their habitat.”

The hunter then referred to a national park in Africa which apparently has 20 times too many elephants.

“What happens is the elephants destroy the habitat for themselves and others specifies, losing biological diversity,” he continued.

“If your elephants or buffalo, or even white mice are causing biological diversity loss, you’ve got to reduce it to a number habitats can sustainably support. Management is absolutely critical.”

“My response is many people were very offended by your language at which you spoke about killing these great animals which are soon going to become except,” Piers argued.

“The elephant is not facing extinction at all,” Ron casually replied which instantly riled Piers up, as he snapped: “You’re making these statements as if they are indisputable facts!”

Ron went to interject but Piers cut him off: “If I may finish! Elephants population has plunged from 1.3 million to 4000, clearly if they carry on at that rate they are a specie which is facing extinction.”

“No I don’t accept that,” Ron stated.

Piers then tried an different approach and asked: “Did you enjoy killing those elephants? The language you used is highly inflammatory.”

The interviewee said: “[They] will say it’s inflammatory, I agree with you. I feel nothing, if I had got emotionally involved I would never have been able to get my job done.”

“Your whole life and career has been killing great animals, it’s the way you’ve been speaking about it so proudly [that I have an issue with],” Piers responded.

“Why?” Ron exclaimed. “Why, why, why, why?”

According to Ron, the killings he carries out are different to those conducted by trophy hunters.

“I’m not a trophy hunter,” he claimed to Piers and Susanna. “I have never hunted a trophy in my life. I’ve done what I’ve done under government control and government instruction; I manage national parks to save the biodiversity. You have to handle this business without emotion.”

Piers then suggested his “conservation work” was just a “pretext or cover to allow trophy hunter to be around,” and this angered Ron.

“It’s very easy for you to sit in your comfy armchair in London and say that,” the interviewee shouted. “I’ve shot elephants because they are damaging the habitat. They are wiping our whole forests, trees that are some 5000 years old. What do you propose we should do with these elephants? Don’t come and tell us we don’t know what we’re doing!”

But Piers commented: “Is there not a more humane way of talking about this? It would be quite nice to hear you to just say “it breaks my heart every time I have to shoot one of these animals”. I think you enjoy it.”

Ron’s final word on the matter were: “I was highly efficient about it. Went in and got the job done.”

This article misses most of the interview. However, you can see the extended version of this if you go to Good Morning Britain's youtube channel. Lots of good facts from Ron Thomson on the reasons for culling elephants, while Piers Morgan's argument was based solely on emotion.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 8.35.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 8.29.27 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So typical of idiots who "sit in their comfy armchairs" and know absolutely nothing about habitat and animal control. They should be made to go to the affected area and see first hand the damage these herds do to the environment.

Would Piers dine in a restaurant over run with rats? No he wouldn’t. Would he suggest there was a humane way to trap all the rats to get rid of them? No he wouldn’t. The only reason this is even a conversation is because these large animals are not bothering him in his country, or infesting his favorite restaurant. It is just the hot topic of conversation. Not about conservation, not about holding capacity, not about destruction of habitat. Nope, it is all about Piers and watch me rant.

I love reading some of the comments. I found this one particularly funny.

"Given that animals possess harmonic consciousness (i.e. in harmony with all of nature - they instinctively stop breeding when then is a shortage of food) whereas humans will breed themselves into extinction because they are not capable of controlling their reproductive instincts or anything else, for that matter (= disharmonic consciousness), I'll take the animals any day."

Piers Morgan is in my opinion a nobody with a powerful pulpit....TV. Far too many people in this world listen to people like him and absorb what he says as abs9lute truth. Note he said the “ elephant population was 4000”
We know that to be false!

I love reading some of the comments. I found this one particularly funny.

"Given that animals possess harmonic consciousness (i.e. in harmony with all of nature - they instinctively stop breeding when then is a shortage of food) whereas humans will breed themselves into extinction because they are not capable of controlling their reproductive instincts or anything else, for that matter (= disharmonic consciousness), I'll take the animals any day."

Tell that to the large amount of species that have vanished from some areas due to overpopulation of elephants.... Strange how even the death of young elephants due to the greater and greater distances they need to cover from water to food hasn't stopped them breeding either.....:rolleyes:

Folks will often refer to the intelligence of elephants as distinguishing them from the rest of the animals. But I hasten to point of the equivalent intelligence of the octopus and pig...yet those we consume with abandon.

Folks will often refer to the intelligence of elephants as distinguishing them from the rest of the animals. But I hasten to point of the equivalent intelligence of the octopus and pig...yet those we consume with abandon.

Because the people of this era and age have humanized animals, which is the real problem.

Is anyone old enough to remember their mother or grandmother going into the yard, catching a chicken, wringing it's neck and cooking it? Most people nowadays don't seem to get the connection between death and dinner. Is Piers a full blown vegan?

Is anyone old enough to remember their mother or grandmother going into the yard, catching a chicken, wringing it's neck and cooking it? Most people nowadays don't seem to get the connection between death and dinner. Is Piers a full blown vegan?

Happens every time I want a village chicken and nshima.......someone gets sent to the market and home comes a chicken...... Think it gets chopped though ........favourite meal that Louise cooks :D

Love eating them.......yum yum ....mmm....crispy crackling done perfectly..... Drooling at the thought :A Banana:

IDIOT!!!!

Dear Good Morning Britain
by Ohoty
Comment by Trevor Oertel
In conservation circles, we often debate what is the biggest threat to biodiversity. After watching your interview with Mr. Ron Thomson, not only a University trained wildlife scientist but also the former Provincial Game Warden in charge of Hwange National Park and later the Director of the former Bophutawana National Parks Board, I think I can safely say the biggest threat to wildlife and biodiversity is an ignorant misinformed lazy media.

MQRtT1kSyQ2Ymuu1UsD4jOFgM6x1tdRbuRxKVEFAibtoxVmxasdR_kx_S4aExfpB-BW-Gl2ZD7dtt9ScrvmICAue8L9efURKoyK1SpqD0gttarRtzRmAG6OPffnAFApd=s0-d-e1-ft

Trevor Oertel

Mr. Morgan (and I would assume your journalist research team) obviously spent the bare minimum if any time at all researching the status and plight of Southern African Elephants as Mr.Morgan and his co-presenter know nothing about the subject matter or Thomson's credentials. Their interview was based on their rather naive understanding of conservation, their misplaced emotions and the current Animal Rightists fuelled social media rhetoric surrounding Thomson.

What an opportunity was missed to actually dissect the facts surrounding the current crisis that not only Southern African Elephants are facing but all other species that share the same habitat.

Africa's Elephants and people were served an injustice as an uninformed public gamble with their future based on the donor greed and the false emotive narrative fed to the public by the animal rights agenda.

Instead of degenerating into a shouting match your Mr. Morgan should have asked himself why after countless years of protection, hundreds of Millions of US Dollar donations and ivory bans Elephant numbers have "plunged from 1.3 million to just 400 thousand".

His accusatory question to Thomson on culling in excess of 5000 elephants had as much weight as accusing an abattoir employee of mass murder of livestock.

Thomson was not involved in some deranged thrill seeking slaughter of elephant but on a government-sanctioned scientific based culling operation.

An opportunity was wasted to better inform your public of the crisis Southern Africa faces...

...and to offer a balanced view. I pray the attached documentary is at least watched (and shared) by a few to get a better understanding of the challenges we face as the current path could be the death warrant of Africa's elephants and most of her wildlife.

Mr. Morgan stated that Thomson facts are disputed "by many people in conservation", animal rightism is NOT conservation. Any half decent wildlife manager will understand the ramifications of a population exceeding it's carrying capacity and the conservation principle of sustainable utilisation.

Good luck trying to translate herds of elephant not only thousands of kilometres but also on crumbling African roads. Again if a little research had been applied Morgan would have known Thomson could speak on the subject of translocation of large mammals from a professional point of view and not a layman's.

Africa’s leading ecologist, biologists, wildlife managers and conservationists are pro sustainable use, hunting and culling please stop dictating to them how to manage Africa’s wildlife resources and stop buying into the animal rights false emotive narrative of “saving” species and ecosystem into extinction

I have read through comments on here and cannot believe the arrogance of some to comment on something they aren’t qualified for and don't have the first idea of.

This is not about wearing your animal lover status on your sleeve this is potentially about the very future of not only Africa’s Elephants but also other species of fauna and flora that share the same habitat as these elephants.

Southern Africa’s elephants are not endangered but will be if we (Africans) don't take responsibility and implement the right wildlife management practices to an exploding elephant population.

Elephant in Southern Africa have far exceeded their carrying capacity (stocking rate) and are heading towards an ecological disaster which will have far-reaching consequences for not only the elephants but all animals that survive on a rapidly declining food source.

Sadly my comment will go down like a lead balloon with most as it is not in line with the rhetoric fed to first world society by "conservationists" and "environmentalists" of “endangered” elephants.

Elephants are endangered in parts of Africa but not in Southern Africa.

Interestingly enough many of the elephant populations that are endangered are endangered because these countries banned hunting which opened the doors to poachers.

In parts of Africa were elephants have no economic value to the people that share the same space as them they are seen as competition for limited food for their domestic livestock, a threat to peoples crops and more importantly a threat to these peoples very lives.

As foreign as this might sound to a rich (by African standards) Western industrialist I’m sure elephants would not look so attractive should they have free reign in any First World Country.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 268
Absolutely brilliant..... But doubt it will make any difference to all the first world ...well all I can call them is defective arseholes....as non defective arseholes are useful in day to day life.....as those ones know better and regardless of anything said ..written or spoken ..sit it their nice houses with running water ...electricity....shops full of anything they want and think they can and should dictate to people in countries they probably couldn't tell you where in Africa they are how to run their wildlife management..... Time everyone in the industry from governments down told them, and other countries governments to fk off and mind their own business!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg