Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

One of the best things about these mechanical watches is how they can be bright back from the dead. My father’s old Omega he wore through two wars and test pilot program for the UH-1 was so beat up I couldn’t tell what model it was. Came back from the factory looking new. My niece now wears it.
Exactly. Generational ownership and appreciation. Something you can’t get from a Timex.

But you have the R8 therefore only one rifle and spare change…

One of the best things about these mechanical watches is how they can be bright back from the dead. My father’s old Omega he wore through two wars and test pilot program for the UH-1 was so beat up I couldn’t tell what model it was. Came back from the factory looking new. My niece now wears it.

I also have my father´s Omega, bought in 1951/1952. had it cleaned up, put a croc strap on, and it is still the perfect dress watch.

That's a World War I Lancet military trench watch made by Langendorf Watch Co SA in Switzerland. Although they were the third largest watch company in the world, they stopped making watches at their factory in the mid-1970's due to heavy competition. They were bought, sold, renamed and moved a few times...eventually becoming part of the Swatch Group.

A replica watch like the one used in Pulp Fiction can be had for very cheap, probably less than $50, but an original WWI Lancet will be at least 10x that price if it's in good condition. I have no idea if it would be rebuildable.

That's a World War I Lancet military trench watch made by Langendorf Watch Co SA in Switzerland. Although they were the third largest watch company in the world, they stopped making watches at their factory in the mid-1970's due to heavy competition. They were bought, sold, renamed and moved a few times...eventually becoming part of the Swatch Group.

A replica watch like the one used in Pulp Fiction can be had for very cheap, probably less than $50, but an original WWI Lancet will be at least 10x that price if it's in good condition. I have no idea if it would be rebuildable.
someone knows their watches

From the early 2000's my wife and I were huge fans of the British TV show Top Gear. All of the presenters are fans of various top quality watch brands, but I'd never heard about this until now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.15 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.18 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.53.21 AM.png
    790.7 KB · Views: 22
Depending on the condition of the actual movement, case and bracelet…yes. The other option is that this is a very well done deep fake. It’s selling at about 2/3 of the going price which sends up my radar. Need a real Rolex guy to do a complete inspection that includes looking at the movement and testing it. Much like what is done with the eBay authentication process.

Agreed. I always insist on an inspection and original sales paperwork going back to the AD when dealing with private sellers. Buying without due diligence is begging to get scammed. The deep fakes are so good now. I was 90% of the way into buying a preowned GMT last year. Seller (not the original buyer) had all the paperwork, box etc, but when my watch service guy opened it up, it was apparent the last service was done by some hack. I think the seller was honestly surprised and unaware of the issues, probably carried out by another previous owner. No free lunches in the Rolex world.

Is it wrong that I’m looking at a Rolex Submariner (no date) for daily wear so I don’t have to beat up my Planet Ocean?

Not sure I can do it. Probably get an older used PO instead.

Not at all, that's a fantastic combo. I like quality gear that's been used honestly and maintained well. Some of my favorite guns and cars came with a lot of honest use marks, but were priced right. I can use them without the nervousness of taking a pristine piece into the wild.

Not at all, that's a fantastic combo. I like quality gear that's been used honestly and maintained well. Some of my favorite guns and cars came with a lot of honest use marks, but were priced right. I can use them without the nervousness of taking a pristine piece into the wild.
I get it. Currently own three Omegas and my wife has four. Not sure I can make the jump to the other side.

I think a used PO might be in my future…

They're a fantastic pre-owned buy. $4000-$4800 should get you a great example.

1713983343462.png

This is Abraham Lincoln`s ax. The axe head has been replaced once and the handle twice, but it is Abraham Lincoln`s ax.

I have my grandfathers Omega Seamaster, a present from my grandmother for his 40th birthday (in 1954). I have no clue to as how she managed to save up to buy this. And I wouldn`t dream of giving it a "full factory restoration". I have had it cleaned and adjusted, I want it to be the watch I remember grandpa using every day.

I get it. Currently own three Omegas and my wife has four. Not sure I can make the jump to the other side.

I think a used PO might be in my future…
Stay with Omega! The PO will serve you well. Our side has James Bond. The other side has Jay-Z (I assume).

Stay frosty...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbiGob

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double