Rigby mauser

The magazine walls should follow the taper of the cartridges. If the box is too wide ONLY at the front, the front of the cartridges will have room to move and jingle around. Even though the rear is in spec. I have seen this myself.

Note above the 404 and 350 have the same dim at the rear, not at the front. A loose front end will allow cartridges to move.

It just needs to be inspected from the ground up.
Correct. But if the mag walls at shoulder are so far out of whack with Mauser's prescription that cartridges would rattle in the magazine, they likely wouldn't feed properly. In an overly fat box cartridges would be released by the rails too late. Result is bullets are jammed into ramp or forward end of the box. Even if the rails can be trimmed back to release the cartridges on time, the bullet ends would not be pointed into the center of chamber when cartridge leaves the rails = rough or failed feeding. But OP says it feeds fine. Ideally, the cartridge should be released fully onto the bolt face and free of the feeding rails at the moment the bullet leaves the loading ramp and starts to enter the chamber. All at the same time. If the cartridge is late getting onto bolt face, the bullet is jammed into ceiling of the chamber. If the cartridge jumps the rails too early, the bullet hits the side of the chamber or cartridge simply falls out of the action. Tuning the rails and ramp to match the cartridge, action, and magazine dimensions is an art form. Add into the equation shape and tension of extractor, follower spring tension, and follower shape (very important by the way) and there's a whole lot of things that can go haywire ... even in an action with straight drop magazine that is proper length.
 
Last edited:
I have one prewar Rigby, or least I thought it was.
In reality I had a cobbled together Rigby made up of parts pre war and post war as the Rigby folks were out of business in there. Someone at Rigby had the idea to gather up all of the old parts and make up rifles selling them as Rigby's. They aren't. I was very disappointed in what I had and sold it.

For me, I would not own a Rigby other than one made by the current management team owned by Blaser. The quality is not what you think it is.
 
I have one prewar Rigby, or least I thought it was.
In reality I had a cobbled together Rigby made up of parts pre war and post war as the Rigby folks were out of business in there. Someone at Rigby had the idea to gather up all of the old parts and make up rifles selling them as Rigby's. They aren't. I was very disappointed in what I had and sold it.

For me, I would not own a Rigby other than one made by the current management team owned by Blaser. The quality is not what you think it is.
For me, it will always be pre war
I have one prewar Rigby, or least I thought it was.
In reality I had a cobbled together Rigby made up of parts pre war and post war as the Rigby folks were out of business in there. Someone at Rigby had the idea to gather up all of the old parts and make up rifles selling them as Rigby's. They aren't. I was very disappointed in what I had and sold it.

For me, I would not own a Rigby other than one made by the current management team owned by Blaser. The quality is not what you think it is.
With all due respect, having both modern and vintage Rigby’s, there is something incredibly special about the prewar Rigby rifles. My early Rigby’s are of exceptional quality compared to modern offerings. This is reflected in the demand displayed by the discerning collectors, today.
 
No disrespect to those who like the older Rigby's. I consulted Lon Paul and George Cassell on my mess and they both agreed that the new ones are pretty darn good. Both like the prewar versions assuming they were made by craftsman and not spare parts sourcers.
 
Indeed. I haven’t experienced a ‘spare part’ Rigby.
The new Rigby’s are very well made (specifically the London Best grade).
As an investment, you will not get your money back on a new London gun, and that goes for all the makers.
(I worked for Purdey).
 
Indeed. I haven’t experienced a ‘spare part’ Rigby.
The new Rigby’s are very well made (specifically the London Best grade).
As an investment, you will not get your money back on a new London gun, and that goes for all the makers.
(I worked for Purdey).
John I thought I went over this whole subject with you a while ago
 
I have one prewar Rigby, or least I thought it was.
In reality I had a cobbled together Rigby made up of parts pre war and post war as the Rigby folks were out of business in there. Someone at Rigby had the idea to gather up all of the old parts and make up rifles selling them as Rigby's. They aren't. I was very disappointed in what I had and sold it.

For me, I would not own a Rigby other than one made by the current management team owned by Blaser. The quality is not what you think it is.
what caliber was it and do you have a pic of it
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,323
Messages
1,572,906
Members
169,637
Latest member
HalOsulliv
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top