Rigby Big Game cycling issues

WYORigby

New member
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
14
I am on the verge of buying one of the "PH" model Rigby Big Game rifles that Cabela's recently got in. I am not close to where the rifle is located. The salesman just informed me that the rifle requires pushing down on the follower in order to close the bolt on an empty magazine; otherwise the follower kicks forward and can get hung up and cause issues. Is this normal? I would have assumed that the action, like Parkwest/Dakota, Model 70, and all other modern CRF actions, would allow you to rapidly rack the bolt while the rifle is empty (for practice or otherwise). I would appreciate if any Rigby Big Game owners out there could chime in. Thanks.
 
No not normal . I’ve got 2 Rigbys , a Big Game 416 and PH 450 . I have never experienced this problem with my Rigbys or any other bolt action rifles .
 
Is it a 450 Rigby?

Both 450's I have owned in the big game model did it.

The 375 and 404 I have owned in the big game don't seem to do it.
 
I am on the verge of buying one of the "PH" model Rigby Big Game rifles that Cabela's recently got in. I am not close to where the rifle is located. The salesman just informed me that the rifle requires pushing down on the follower in order to close the bolt on an empty magazine; otherwise the follower kicks forward and can get hung up and cause issues. Is this normal? I would have assumed that the action, like Parkwest/Dakota, Model 70, and all other modern CRF actions, would allow you to rapidly rack the bolt while the rifle is empty (for practice or otherwise). I would appreciate if any Rigby Big Game owners out there could chime in. Thanks.
That is a very standard safety feature on military actions for user safety as it lets the user know they are out of ammo when under stress. Whether that is standard for Rigby I cannot say, but personally it is a feature I prefer and have it on some of my rifles such as Accuracy International and one with a military Mauser receiver. It certainly makes a lot of sense for a PH’s rifle for dangerous game.
 
Is it a 450 Rigby?

Both 450's I have owned in the big game model did it.

The 375 and 404 I have owned in the big game don't seem to do it.
Yes, it is a 450. Per the salesman, this is only an issue with the 450 (and not 404 or 416).
 
For $15k+, the fucking gun should not have cycling issues empty or loaded. I would consider that to be completely unacceptable, and I am frankly disappointed to hear such issues exist. Edit: It would appear that is not a malfunctioning rifle, which I would consider an unacceptable feature, but instead a design feature. Not sure if I like that design feature, but my words seem to have been too harsh. I would also think that if you bought one directly from Rigby you could decide if you wanted this feature.
 
Last edited:
That was a feature of military 98s so you know when you need to reload. Not sure if that was an intentional thing by Rigby but that can be removed
 
Normal for a military rifle, but I have never seen it on an $15,000 plus rifle. Easily rectified by yourself or by a gunsmith. Back of the follower making contact with the bolt first just needs to be beveled. Or is that chamfered? :-). In any event, it need to be filed/machined down if you want it to close without manual depression. It really doesn’t affect anything in the field and just tells you, “Oh sh(oo)t. I’m empty”. Would be a huge pain just getting used to cycling the bolt etc.
 
Normal for a military rifle, but I have never seen it on an $15,000 plus rifle. Easily rectified by yourself or by a gunsmith. Back of the follower making contact with the bolt first just needs to be beveled. Or is that chamfered? :-). In any event, it need to be filed/machined down if you want it to close without manual depression. It really doesn’t affect anything in the field and just tells you, “Oh sh(oo)t. I’m empty”. Would be a huge pain just getting used to cycling the bolt etc.
I would never spend that kind of money on a rifle, if I didn't like one of the features, and believed it would need to have work done after purchase
 
TA few follow-up comments:
1. I talked to the salesman again, and apparently this was something that Rigby did by design on the 450 (which is why all of the 450s they received are this way, and none of the 404s). I'm not sure why Rigby decided to do it differently, but apparently it was a conscious decision on the 450, as that also seems to be the experience of most of the 450 owners that have chimed in.

2. As I understand the issue (by description; I have not actually seen it), it is not the bolt hitting the back of follower but rather the follower kicking up some on the front end. Thus, I'm not sure if it is simple as beveling the rear of the follower.

3. Bottom line- it seems like the rifle in question is not defective. It is apparently just designed in a way that some may few as a "feature" (letting you know it is empty) while others may view it as a "bug" (cycling empty for practice is not really a possibility). As the one user commented, this does make for a meaningful distinction between Rigby vs Parkwest(Dakota) for those who are in the market for a 450 and who care strongly about it, one way or another.

Thanks again for all of the prompt responses.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 227
For those of you saying you would remove this safety feature on a dangerous game rifle built for a PH, would like to hear your thinking as to why?

There is no down side to my mind and a huge safety benefit, especially for a PH to let them know they are out of ammo in a high stress scenario.

It is standard on all semi-auto pistols for this same safety reason.
 
Video of my Rigby 450 cycling perfectly without ammo in the magazine . The salesman is bullshitting you .
 
I’d definitely be interested in hearing from Righy about this. I could see the benefits but strange they only did it in one caliber if it is intentional.
 
Sorry for some reason I cannot upload video . Just checked 2 Mauser military actions , a VZ 24 action and a Lee Speed . Bolt closes on all without needing to push down follower .
 
Sorry for some reason I cannot upload video . Just checked 2 Mauser military actions , a VZ 24 action and a Lee Speed . Bolt closes on all without needing to push down follower .
This confirms what I already suspected. If you order your rifle directly from Rigby, you can choose to have this feature if you want it
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,382
Messages
1,574,654
Members
170,082
Latest member
taixiuonline18
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top