Rigby Best Rising Bite Ejector Double Rifle 470 Nitro Express Sidelock For Sale

doubleboy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Rigby Best Rising Bite Ejector Double Rifle 470 Nitro Express Sidelock

John Rigby & Co, 43 Sackville St., London, Best Rising Bite Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle in 470 Nitro Express. Factory letter confirming 1909 original 470 build. 25" unproofed rebarrel, flip up ivory front sight, 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, full length rib. London proofed action, bushed strikers, grip cap, classic Rigby scroll engraving, non-automatic safety, sling swivels, English walnut,, splinter forend, leather covered pad.
10lbs 14oz, 13 3/4" LOP 2 3/4" DAH
This rifle shoots exceptional, ejectors timed perfectly. Very accurate with Hornady/Federal factory ammo. Can provide current video of a pair of left/rights at the range & target, no issues.
This is a great opportunity to own a rebarrelled, original 470 Rigby that handles and balances perfectly and shoots lights out at a great price.
Happy to text additional photos.
$37,000.00

Rob

LISTED ELSEWHERE
IMG_1116[1].JPG.png

IMG_1141[1].JPG.png

Who did the new barrels and why did it not go back through proof?

Nice rifle, purely just curiosity, how in the world did they manage to produce an unproofed rifle In London?

Or buy a new one for 131,000 pounds...............($154K)................FWB

Are you saying my firstborn is worth less than $153,954?
Hell, I probably spent that on Pampers, adjusted for today's prices! For sure in the next 18 months!
Not that I'm still buying pampers, but under further inflation calculations...

Red Leg/WAG,
When I purchased the rifle, I was told the barrels were Austrian. As to why no proof, my thoughts are “they” didn’t want to spend the time and expense sending it out to a Proof House.
What I can tell you is I have fired over 150 rounds thru it with no issues. The rifle is a gem, accurate and shoulders great. Took a magnificent buff with it in Mozambique in 2015.

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

Rob

Wonderful rifle! Hey, I am not in this market but may I ask for this for all? Would you please post a photo of the barrel flats and receiver water table? There should be identifying marks on the barrel flats. The water table may also reveal information.

Red Leg/WAG,
When I purchased the rifle, I was told the barrels were Austrian. As to why no proof, my thoughts are “they” didn’t want to spend the time and expense sending it out to a Proof House.
What I can tell you is I have fired over 150 rounds thru it with no issues. The rifle is a gem, accurate and shoulders great. Took a magnificent buff with it in Mozambique in 2015.

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

Rob

@doubleboy the lack of proof marks is suspicious but there is usually a practical reason for this.

1.) The new barrels were made in good old USA.

2.) The barrels were made anywhere in Europe and they either A.) Reused the old ribs, or B.) Had new ribs engraved “Rigby” on them.

Related to point 2 above, the proof houses of Europe will not proof counterfeit weapons. The CIP / Worshipful Company policy is to reject any barrels for proof that reflect a name or likeness not submitted by the lawful owner of the trademark. So for example, you can’t have Westley Richards Make you a new set of barrels for a Rigby, Engrave the rib “Rigby”, and get it to pass proof. They won’t do that as they believe it creates a trademark misrepresentation.

I haven’t personally inspected the gun but I strongly suspect the barrels were made in the USA or at least final filing and fitting was done here as a means to circumvent these proof and trademark rules. The lack of a name of the firm building the barrels points the work away from Europe.

@doubleboy the lack of proof marks is suspicious but there is usually a practical reason for this.

1.) The new barrels were made in good old USA.

2.) The barrels were made anywhere in Europe and they either A.) Reused the old ribs, or B.) Had new ribs engraved “Rigby” on them.

Related to point 2 above, the proof houses of Europe will not proof counterfeit weapons. The CIP / Worshipful Company policy is to reject any barrels for proof that reflect a name or likeness not submitted by the lawful owner of the trademark. So for example, you can’t have Westley Richards Make you a new set of barrels for a Rigby, Engrave the rib “Rigby”, and get it to pass proof. They won’t do that as they believe it creates a trademark misrepresentation.

I haven’t personally inspected the gun but I strongly suspect the barrels were made in the USA or at least final filing and fitting was done here as a means to circumvent these proof and trademark rules. The lack of a name of the firm building the barrels points the work away from Europe.
Rookhawk,
Very interesting as the the rib ( originalhas John Rigby & Co. , 43 Sackville St. engraved on it.
You might have something there !
I will post pics of barrel flats ( bare ) & water table ( London proofed ).

Rob

Interesting mystery. H clean of a rifle regardless.

While it is hard to make a declarative statement without seeing it in person, it looks like a very good barrel job and I think I see the tig welding work that shows how it was done. What it looks like to me is the original barrels were used to create the new barrel set. Specifically, the breech was turned into a monobloc, chopping off the old barrels and then tig welded to the new tubes. Relaying the top rib from the original would be a likely conclusion which again is a pretty good idea. I think I see the barrel tubes sleeved through the monobloc and then dressed down at the breech face. (hence the minor dings to the breech where the original 1909 barrels are still used but the chambers are new, connected to the entirety of the barrels) If I was to pay to have barrels redone I would prescribe the work to be done exactly as it appears this work was done.

It all looks like it was done by a very skilled gunsmith, not some shadetree schlock. Lack of proof marks in my opinion points to an American or Canadian expert that was not required to prove the gun to any legal requirement whereas if Austrian it would be illegal not to reproof the gun in Ferlach.

Have you reached out to Rigby to find out the provenance of the gun, the original LOP, and the original caliber? It would strengthen its value if it was always a 470NE and if the original LOP was shorter than the current LOP indicating original stock with steel butt was lengthened by the beautiful pigskin covered pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross