Rifle zeroing

I got tired to not have a proper shooting range, to hanging over a land cruiser hood is not good enough, so we simply make a range... A local carpenter did the shooting bench after our drawings in Mukwa wood, more or less 200 kg... so now our clients can with out stress and in shade from a grass roof test shooting them rifles as it should be.

The wall is on 100 yards, and there is also a target on 50 yards for open sights and double rifles.

All the best from Mbizi,
Michael
DSCN1371.jpg
 
Almost every one of my rifles are 1 inch high at 100 yards always done it that way and have seen little reason to change.
 
I prefer a 100 yard zero, although I will readily admit that I hunt deer and paper and steel with my rifle. I find that the 100 yard zero provides good hits out to 200 yards with point and click interface, and within 100 yards, offset is not bad at all. In fact, I was able to hit, aiming dead-on, a 1" bull from 50-100 yards at 25 yard intervals, and only noted offset at 25 yards. Scope was 2.42" above bore centerline. Rifle is a 5.56 carbine, and bullet was at 2500fps with a .373 BC.
 
About 1 inch high at 100 yards
 
I zero all my hunting rifles 2.75" high at 100 yards. Doing so I hold on the animal for all shots except those over 400-500 Yards.
This has proven to work well for my for many years.
I worked well in Africa and my shots were 135 yards to 480 yards at PG. All but one was a one shot kill and the other I misjudged the distance(did not have time to rangefind it) at a running Gemsbok. Follow up shot killed it.
My daughters animals all dropped with one shot. We killed 26 animals plus I shot about 30 monkeys.

We use a Leupold scopes with duplex reticle. I am old school and use my mind and not 27 scope adjustment to hit my target.

Yup me too. I sight in 3" high at 100 yards. It puts my 270 Win (with 150g Partitions at 3000 fps) dead on at 25 yards and again at 275 yards. For my 500 Jeffery (with 570g A-Frames at 2300 fps) sighting it in 3" high at 100 yards puts it dead on at 25 yards and again at 190.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,368
Members
170,566
Latest member
FredricOve
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top