Rifle varnish removal?

Frederik Badenhorst

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi guys

I need some advice. I recently purchased a beautiful Holland and Holland Super 30 from around the 1920's.
The gun seems to be in great shape but someone down the line varnished the heck out of it. I need some advice how to remove the varnish/clear coat without having sanding or damaging the wood. Some have suggested scraping it off as this doesn't raise the wood fibres , others have suggested using chemical strippers. I would love for it to have an original London oil finish again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
7i5NR41.jpg
1hoxaQv.jpg
h5Xd8qc.jpg

Attachments

• h5Xd8qc.jpg
    h5Xd8qc.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • 7i5NR41.jpg
    7i5NR41.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • 1hoxaQv.jpg
    1hoxaQv.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
I wish I had your problem. Is there a noted stock-maker living near you that you might consult with? Another thought would be to take it to a shop or someone that refinishes quality furniture and see what they have to say.

I've stripped and refinished a couple wood stocks. My Ruger #1 was my last and I used Citristrip. No petrochemical fumes, though it is still a bit strong. And you can get it at Home Depot. I'd suggest getting some and trying a drop or two in some place like the barrel channel to see how well it works on that finish. It took two applications and cleans up a bit chalky in some spots. But a bit of patience, elbow grease and some brushes got small remnants of varnish and chalky residue out of everywhere including checkering. There's a Youtube video of a guy using it on a wood stock. The TruOil finish I put back on took a long time but it was worth it. Many thin layers.

If that was a Savage 110, I would say have at it. However, that is a fine and relatively valuable rifle. If you have never done this before, I would strongly urge you to let a pro do it. As I think you suggest, it should not be made "refinished" to new, but "restored" to look like a beautifully maintained piece with its original finish. That will entail carefully, but not aggressively re-pointing the checkering as well as the basic stripping of the varnish, coloring and applying a period finish. That takes special tools and skills. I would simply suggest, this is too nice a rifle to learn on. That stock had a unique coloring that is difficult for a novice to match and glaringly obvious when it doesn't. Doug Turnbull's team would do a magnificent job as would several custom makers. I would strongly urge you to do some homework and get someone like that to do it.

If that was a Savage 110, I would say have at it. However, that is a fine and relatively valuable rifle. If you have never done this before, I would strongly urge you to let a pro do it. As I think you suggest, it should not be made "refinished" to new, but "restored" to look like a beautifully maintained piece with its original finish. That will entail carefully, but not aggressively re-pointing the checkering as well as the basic stripping of the varnish, coloring and applying a period finish. That takes special tools and skills. I would simply suggest, this is too nice a rifle to learn on. That stock had a unique coloring that is difficult for a novice to match and glaringly obvious when it doesn't. Doug Turnbull's team would do a magnificent job as would several custom makers. I would strongly urge you to do some homework and get someone like that to do it.

Hi Redleg

Of course, you are right! I am just struggling to find someone I trust enough to do this. I am situated in Northern BC and like the saying goes once bitten twice shy. I have been bitten more than once by seemingly expert gunsmiths. I phoned Holland and they recommend shipping it to the Holland Dealer in the States and then onwards to them.

I send Ralf Martini an email, but I don't think he is really interested in refinishing guns.

I can understand that, with his custom work keeping him busy.

Cheers

Hi Redleg

Of course, you are right! I am just struggling to find someone I trust enough to do this. I am situated in Northern BC and like the saying goes once bitten twice shy. I have been bitten more than once by seemingly expert gunsmiths. I phoned Holland and they recommend shipping it to the Holland Dealer in the States and then onwards to them.

I send Ralf Martini an email, but I don't think he is really interested in refinishing guns.

I can understand that, with his custom work keeping him busy.

Cheers
Didn't realize you were Great North country. Give me a day or two to find his contact information, but I have a guy on the east coast who specializes in that sort of work. Not sure what is involved in getting it to someone in the States, but he has done lovely work on several period pieces for me. Don't you wish you could beat that varnisher with a 2x4!

At the very least I would contact a furniture maker or cabinet maker and ask them who could do a no-hands dip strip of some sort to avoid gouges and scrapes.
Very nice rifle though not sure about that holt handle.o_O

Didn't realize you were Great North country. Give me a day or two to find his contact information, but I have a guy on the east coast who specializes in that sort of work. Not sure what is involved in getting it to someone in the States, but he has done lovely work on several period pieces for me. Don't you wish you could beat that varnisher with a 2x4!
. Thank you so much Red Leg! I really appreciate it! I presume the guy that did the varnishing wanted to weather proof the rifle.....but doing that to Holland ..sacrilege!

At the very least I would contact a furniture maker or cabinet maker and ask them who could do a no-hands dip strip of some sort to avoid gouges and scrapes.
Very nice rifle though not sure about that holt handle.o_O

That bolt handle is terrible! But I have seen many Hollands with similar bolt handles.

That bolt looks "Tacticool" or something :(

Seriously, the wood appears to have been sanded then refinished- looking at the surface reflection pic of the area around the right side cross bolt. If so, then seems like that would take some pressure off in how delicately to handle it. yes? no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you