Rifle for Plains game

7x57mm Mauser (loaded with 173Gr-175Gr bullets) is an excellent choice for most African plains game and I’ve even successfully hunted 2 eland bulls (the largest of African plains game) with one-shot kills using this caliber (although, for novices I would recommend nothing smaller than a .338 Winchester Magnum when tackling eland).
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg

Also works on man eating Royal Bengal tigers (not recommended, however).
IMG_2293.jpeg

Great for also teaching ladies to shoot/hunt.
IMG_1700.jpeg

Another favorite plain game caliber of mine, with not a bad amount of recoil to it… Is the venerable old .30-06 Springfield (loaded with 220Gr bullets).
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg

7x57mm Mauser (loaded with 173Gr-175Gr bullets) is an excellent choice for most African plains game and I’ve even successfully hunted 2 eland bulls (the largest of African plains game) with one-shot kills using this caliber (although, for novices I would recommend nothing smaller than a .338 Winchester Magnum when tackling eland).
View attachment 533295View attachment 533296View attachment 533297View attachment 533298
Also works on man eating Royal Bengal tigers (not recommended, however).
View attachment 533299
Great for also teaching ladies to shoot/hunt.
View attachment 533300

Another favorite plain game caliber of mine, with not a bad amount of recoil to it… Is the venerable old .30-06 Springfield (loaded with 220Gr bullets).
View attachment 533301View attachment 533302View attachment 533303View attachment 533304View attachment 533305
Nice pictures, Hunter-Habib! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Have you thought about using PH s gun( rent) ? They probably have several appropriate calibers , most with suppressors on them. No recoil , no paperwork , no hassle. Not a bad way to go for plains game. For Dangerous game I prefer to take my own. Just a thought. 7mm-08 is a great round with good performance and mild recoil.
@MarkD

I agree with Av8or. I took my wife on a PG hunt last year. We both used the outfitters .300 Win Mag. It was suppressed. It had quality optics on it and a wonderful trigger. I had taught my wife to shoot with a .243 prior to our trip. The suppressed .300 had felt recoil about like the .243. It cost me a total of $100 for her and I both to use that rifle to take 9 animals. My wife took 4 shots and killed 4 animals. I can't say the same for myself in regard to the 1:1 ratio, but I can assure you that it wasn't the fault of the rifle. If you insist on taking your own rifles, your plan of a 7mm-08 for her is a good one. Perhaps a .308 should be considered, also. For larger game I would suggest heavier bullets, of course. I hope that you enjoy your hunt with your best friend! My wife and I had a blast and can't wait to go back.

Need opinions for a rifle caliber for my wife with plains game. We booked a trip for plains game next year. This will be my second trip but my wife’s first. She’s never hunted before and I’d like to get her a rifle to use. I bought her a savage 243 which she’ll use for deer here in Oregon this year. I know that’s not enough gun for Africa. I have a 6.5cm longer range gun but we’ve got a few larger game on our list. Sable, zebra and waterbuck among a few others. We shoot competitive shotgun sports so I don’t she super recoil sensitive, but I want a rifle she can shoot comfortably. I’ve been thinking about 7mm-08. Heard good things but never shot one. Others include 6.5 per, or 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler. Give me some feedbacks guys.
Your wife probably won't like a Nosler 28 the kick is a 7mm on steroids. I love the round but it kicks and if you care about barrel life it's not a caliber to practice with.

Honestly I would get her a 7mm08 or 280 with premium bullets and call it a day. I've seen several youtube videos of petite women smoking plains game with a plain old 280. Even seen an elderly petite lady smoke a large croc with a .280 140 grain bullet to the neck. He didn't flinch.

The 280 is what I use to deer hunt in the south east.

In scrolling through the responses, don't see much love for the noslers you mentioned. I have a browning hells canyon in 26 nosler. Sweet gun and ballistics are impressive. Wish I'd have bought the 28 nosler instead though. And ammo is impossible to find and expensive. I'd be nervous to bring to africa because if something happens to your ammo, you just brought a big paperweight.

If I was going to buy a plains gun for a wife/daughter I'd buy a Weatherby Camilla. I'd spend the extra and get a mark v over the vanguard. Not sure if they make it in 7mm weatherby mag, but that would be my 1st choice.

If limited to non-weatherby options I may go with 6.5 creedmore. But if I went the creedmore route, I'd probably opt for a classic model 70 super grade Instead of a weatherby. I know you're asking for plains game, so a push feed is not really a concern. But hard to beat a control feed if the option is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois