Resizing Brass Question

Several years ago I bought a surplus M96 mauser and some 6.5x55 ammo (Century). Rifle shot well, but I had a difficult time finding ammo (Federal, Winchester, and Remington weren't making ammo for this round yet, so I sold it. Years later, I bought another surplus mauser, along with dies, bullets, etc. I reloaded the brass that I fired in the second rifle without an issue, but I could NOT chamber the stuff that I had fired (and saved) from the first rifle. Still has me stumped to this day. I found some brass at the range that someone else had fired in their gun and left behind (privi partisan), and I trimmed and full length resized that........the rifle will chamber the brass, but with some difficulty. After firing the privi partisan brass in my rifle,and resizing it again, it works fine.

Hey Phil just back from a camping trip.

take a factory round and fire it, age is unimportant. Next chamber the fired case, it should chamber, if it doesn't I would start looking for a chamber or headspace problem.

Maybe your sizing the case too far, and pushing the shoulder back too far

Gents,

I ran into something this weekend that I did not anticipate. I have two rifles in .300H&H, one of which I've not shot yet. I started to work up some loads for the yet to be shot rifle using previously shot brass first.

After sizing the first piece, I checked to see if it would feed properly to ensure the shoulder was bumped enough. The bold wouldn't close and so I bumped the die down further and resized. Once again the bolt wouldn't close. So yeah after a few times of this and certain this was getting nowhere, I put a new unfired piece in the rifle and it of course it fed fine and the bolt closed.

Anybody ever have this happen?

I can only think of a couple reasons why this would happen. The sizing die is perhaps a bit on the loose side of tolerance while my chamber is on the tight side. Or the die is just fine, but the brass is springing back a bit which makes it tight in the "newer" rifle.
@PHEONIX PHIL
Check your case length the 300 H&H is prone to stretching and may be to long.
Bib

@PHEONIX PHIL
Check your case length the 300 H&H is prone to stretching and may be to long.
Bib

You've revived a fairly old thread. Reminds me I still have another .300HH to develop a load for. I'll have to see what happens.

The (375) case absolutely needs to be full-length sized down to the belt. Most expand (bulge) pretty well towards the head if not properly re-sized. This will cause jamming before bolt close, case head separation (nearer to the head,) etc. Proper full-length re-sizing (and neck trimming as mentioned above) are key! (In handloading, it's rarely a gun problem.)

I have two 300 H&H's one a Winchester Model 70 the other a Remington 721. They have completely different shoulder datum points. Full length re-sized with 0.002" shoulder set back for both rifles the Remington cases won't fit in the Winchester but the Winchester will fit in the Remington. They have 0.022" difference in the chamber based on gauge measurement. Bought a second FL die and have each set for their specific rifle. I've learned to keep the the brass separated and separate clearly marked cartridge boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross