REPORT: Has Anyone Used Splitting Image Taxidermy?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hey everyone, SSI will be handling my DG and PG hunt this year with KMG. They recommended I use Splitting Image to dip/pack. Anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Splitting Image twice and am very pleased with both the quality of the work, and also their customer relations.
The point of contact is Aschlee and she is both prompt and knowledgeable regarding the whole process.
Just 2 weeks ago 5 friends and I finished a 10 day management hunt with Russ Field Safaris in Grahamstown and Queenstown SA.
After the hunt we rented a small van and drove around seeing the sights, then spent the last night in Port Elizabeth.
Enroute to the airport we stopped at Splitting Image to visit and meet Aschlee and the rest of the staff. It was nice to meet in person, someone that I had worked with in the past via email only.
We were given total access to the facility and it was fun to see the process at different stages and the overwhelming number trophies covering every wall.
Have no worry using them

Heard good things.... no personal experience.

I have used them, they offer good customer service, just make sure they don't pack the animals next to a 2x2 or something that can ruin the cape. Other than that they were easy to work with for taxidermy.

I have used them, they offer good customer service, just make sure they don't pack the animals next to a 2x2 or something that can ruin the cape. Other than that they were easy to work with for taxidermy.
Interesting point, did you have a problem with them packing too close?

You have to shoot something first Johnny! :whistle::)

Lol

just a thought but it maybe cheaper to ship stuff to the buff and hippo area for dip/pack. The plains game will be easier to ship they hippo skull and buff. Plenty of places up north to use for dip/pack.

Sure you can ask, The cost of dealing with them for 5 capes and 5 skull caps was almost the same price has the hunt.
to many unnecessary add ons/extras.
Really? What sort of add ons other than crateing?

just a thought but it maybe cheaper to ship stuff to the buff and hippo area for dip/pack. The plains game will be easier to ship they hippo skull and buff. Plenty of places up north to use for dip/pack.
Yes but then you would need to retruck to joberg no?

But your hippo and buff are up in that area and will take a bigger crate for shipping. Also less chance of hippo skull getting damage with one less flight to the cape then back up to jo-berg from the cape. More then likely the place doing the dip/pack will pick up hippo /buff and be near jo-berg. Then you send a few capes and skulls from the cape up there in a much smaller crate and less shipping fees. All goes out of jo-berg anyway to come over here. Make sense to ship smaller stuff up in my mind.

But your hippo and buff are up in that area and will take a bigger crate for shipping. Also less chance of hippo skull getting damage with one less flight to the cape then back up to jo-berg from the cape. More then likely the place doing the dip/pack will pick up hippo /buff and be near jo-berg. Then you send a few capes and skulls from the cape up there in a much smaller crate and less shipping fees. All goes out of jo-berg anyway to come over here. Make sense to ship smaller stuff up in my mind.
Guess we'll get it sorted out. I told Marius just yesterday I just can't get pumped up about hunting hippo, don't know why. So I decided to hunt the buffalo in Limpopo and then travel to the cape together to hunt vahl rhebok klipsringer waterbuck bushbuck blackwildbeest and springbuck.

Another thought was to have bullseye taxidermy do the dip and pack and send the finished product to who ever I use on the cape. That will save time as I would like to see everything leave before they shut down for the holidays. What's everyone's thinking on that?

I like bulleyes just from my limited interactions with them.

Not sure what their prices are on dip pack but their prices on completed mounts is comparable to others I have used and checked out. They have 13 of my critters from last year and communication has been excellent so far.

if your dropping the hippo it maybe worth talking to marius and see if he can find you a buff down his way. Save on traveling and shipping of stuff if taken in two areas. That maybe an option to look at since there is time yet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.