REPORT: Has Anyone Used Splitting Image Taxidermy?

I used Splitting Image for my Eastern Cape trophies that I took with African Cape Safaris. Nice shop and Aschlee was very efficient. My only complaints are that they were more expensive than Highveld for more basic mounts. Also, I never received any pictures of my mounts until they were crated. The crate was given to Badger Cargo. Please, understand that Badger did an efficient job of handling my crate. However, I contacted Oxi-Logistics with weight and dimensions of my crate and asked what they would have charged from Port Elizabeth. They would have been about $600 cheaper. Oxi also takes credit cards. Badger could not. I absolutely hate wire transfers.
Having said all of that, my mounts are beautiful. @johnnyblues: I'm sorry that you had a negative experience.
Live and learn my friend.

I used them twice. The first batch was atrocious and they gave me a refund and begged me to try again. The second batch was a marginal improvement but still pretty bad.

I’ve hunted in Africa 20 times since 2011. Used Karoo Taxidermy and Life Form as well as had stuff shipped to Jim Kelly in New Jersey. A few pieces ended up slightly damaged in shipping but nothing major and the taxidermist always made it right.

This is the only taxidermist I will not use and if an outfitter uses them and recommends them to me I will actually cancel a hunt or not book on this recommendation alone.

Since my original reply to this post several years ago, I have used Splitting Image twice more. In every case, the work done has been excellent, trophies arrived without issue, and I have received incredible customer service. I won't say that others have not had the experiences they report but I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Have you used anyone else?

I’m glad you are happy with your trophies. That’s what matters most.

I finally got the last batch of trophies they had held hostage for years.

Remember these are suppose to be “museum quality euro mounts” according to the owner …

Oribi
Bofors reedbuck
Harnessed bushbuck
2x Chobe bushbuck
Red duiker

The other mounts are brittle and low quality but hopefully can be saved. These are garbage.

I manage pension money for two very large international law firms based out of New York. They are starting proceedings for the full cost of the trip to Mozambique and Cameroon as we speak. Seeing in South Africa and the USA at the same time. I’m going to drive them into receivership if I have my way.

9E6ABBB7-A30E-408F-8576-140EB45BF743.jpeg
EB28018E-A677-4CF4-96FD-3877EEFCDA04.jpeg
488254B3-0753-4912-B8BB-276FAE0707D0.jpeg
2DDC8C89-A627-4B09-A6F1-8235A95295B4.jpeg
8AA9FC2A-582D-453C-8CBF-9AE3CCF32B86.jpeg
DAD6B322-CC5C-4B21-A2E9-153B2907DBF3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s all the skulls I just got back from Splitting Image as well. I’m happy with this batch. Missing some internal nose pieces but it can be fixed. You be the judge.

4D16912C-A83D-40D7-A2AB-9E1F4546A212.jpeg
5615D2EC-482C-42FE-AC63-D10807B854FD.jpeg
D1D18AB3-1D94-402B-A507-3992B10C0DBA.jpeg
23D45BE8-2F7A-47A6-8EC8-A2B63AC2F4D2.jpg
58C8DB97-2D9C-42FD-9E35-9F6E83C76B34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes....to say the least. Myself and two others were looking at using Splitting Image for the trip we leave for this Friday. This may put a kink in things. Would it be possible for Jerome to reach out to Splitting Image for a response to this?

Not museum quality…think that’s pretty obvious, I've got a guy here in Texas that uses beetles and degreases for a couple months, best euro mounts I’ve ever seen, the nasal bones up inside the skull and the whiteness of the bone is perfect. Wish someone in Africa would start using beetles to clean skulls…not sure if that would be allowed or not with requirements to import them into the US but it makes for a much better final product when compared to boiling.

What species is the skull laying on top of the croc's skull?

Not museum quality…think that’s pretty obvious, I've got a guy here in Texas that uses beetles and degreases for a couple months, best euro mounts I’ve ever seen, the nasal bones up inside the skull and the whiteness of the bone is perfect. Wish someone in Africa would start using beetles to clean skulls…not sure if that would be allowed or not with requirements to import them into the US but it makes for a much better final product when compared to boiling.
Can you introduce me?

Son's buck from 2020.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Here’s all the skulls I just got back from Splitting Image as well. I’m happy with this batch. Missing some internal nose pieces but it can be fixed. You be the judge.

View attachment 462705View attachment 462706View attachment 462707View attachment 462712View attachment 462713

Are these D&P skulls for mounting later, or were they supposed to be Euro Skulls for immediate display? I could have a little grace if they are D&P vs Euro. They are not Euro quality for sure.

Are these D&P skulls for mounting later, or were they supposed to be Euro Skulls for immediate display? I could have a little grace if they are D&P vs Euro. They are not Euro quality for sure.
They are D&P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg