Reminiscent of Jim Corbett... India calls in top tiger hunter to find a maneater!

rinehart0050

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-called-find-beast-accused-killing-13-people/

Top Indian tiger hunter called in to find beast thought to have killed 13

TELEMMGLPICT000170881459_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

India's most celebrated hunter has been called in for a controversial mission to shoot a man-eating tigress blamed for killing 13 people.

Nawab Shafath Ali Khan has begun his hunt after India's highest court dismissed objections from conservation groups and authorised the killing of the four-year-old cat and her two cubs.

The hunter, scion of an aristocratic family, has started combing the jungles of Maharashtra after the tigress known as T1 terrorised villages in recent months.

Wildlife activists had unsuccessfully sought to block any court order allowing the killing of the cat, arguing there was no definitive proof the tigress was responsible for the deaths.

They have also tried to block the involvement of Mr Khan, who is the go-to marksman for Indian officials troubled by man-eating tigers, rogue elephants or destructive wild boar.

Mr Khan is stalking the tiger with elephants because vehicles are too loud and has said he will only shoot to kill as a last resort, instead using a tranquiliser gun if possible. The hunt authorisation calls for Mr Khan to attempt to capture the tigress alive, but to kill it if necessary. Activists fear Mr Khan, who is renowned for killing hundreds of animals, will only make a token effort to take the cat alive.
He has said he is convinced the tigress is guilty and is killing for survival because of a lack of other prey.

TELEMMGLPICT000174498973_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqAiJQrZkdRSYRHeCDHXkbfx0aCOIs0RdpTV7zFmjQAZg.jpeg

“The tigress has two cubs aged 10 months which are also eating human flesh,” he told the Times of India.

“The killing of humans is easy prey, as there is no natural prey such as spotted deer and sambar and wild boar here. So the tigress is killing humans for survival.”

The tigress is accused of killing 13 people around Pandharkawada over the last two years, with the spree accelerating to claim three lives in August alone.

Victims have been found part-eaten, with limbs torn off and teeth marks left on what remained.

Indian officials say DNA tests, camera traps and footprints all point to the killings having been carried out by a single tigress.

India's tigers are strictly protected by conservation laws, but India's growing population and the loss of habitat means the cats are increasingly in competition with people. The success of protection laws has also seen the number of cats begin to grow again in recent years after plummeting for decades. India is home to around 70 per cent of the world's 4,000 tigers.

TELEMMGLPICT000174498974_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxE6WYbzRGIq7DYNoS4-zig1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpeg

Mr Khan is the private hunter usually called on when people and India's large wildlife clash. Born into a Hyderabad family descended from royalty, he grew up enchanted by the hunting tales of his grandfather who was a renowned Raj-era elephant hunter. He first held a gun when he was four and soon became an able tracker and accomplished shot.

At the age of only 19 he was recommended by a family friend when officials needed someone to shoot a rogue elephant who had trampled 12 to death. His fame quickly grew and officials from around India began calling for his help.

As well as tigers, leopards or elephants terrorising rural villages, he is also sometimes called on to cull India's wild boar.

In an interview last year he said it was the courts and officials who decided the fate of the animals.

“My job is of a hangman,” he told the FT. “I am the man who is putting the noose on the convict and pushing the button of the gallows.”

Attachments

• TELEMMGLPICT000174498974_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxE6WYbzRGIq7DYNoS4-zig1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpeg
    TELEMMGLPICT000174498974_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxE6WYbzRGIq7DYNoS4-zig1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 180
  • TELEMMGLPICT000174498973_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqAiJQrZkdRSYRHeCDHXkbfx0aCOIs0RdpTV7zFmjQAZg.jpeg
    TELEMMGLPICT000174498973_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqAiJQrZkdRSYRHeCDHXkbfx0aCOIs0RdpTV7zFmjQAZg.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 248
  • TELEMMGLPICT000170881459_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg
    TELEMMGLPICT000170881459_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what I wouldn’t do to get that phone call!

I've always hoped that India would come to its senses and reopen hunting. Start with herbivores and as you get more land under hunting, sell limited tiger, leopard, elephant, and rhino tags and most importantly, make sure the locals benefit from this so the model spreads throughout Southern and Southeast Asia to secure a future for the tiger.

Last edited:
Anyone ever notice that the activists aren't exactly lining up to be the next kill? It's easy to say "Don't kill the man eater" from the safety of your home hundreds, perhaps thousands, of miles away.

I do think it's sad that the cat has resorted to becoming a maneater due to prey scarcity unlike Corbett's maneaters who were often sick.

I've always hoped that India would come to its senses and reopen hunting. Start with herbivores and as you get more land under hunting, sell limited tiger, leopard, elephant, and rhino tags and most importantly, make sure the locals benefit from this so the model spreads throughout Southern and Southeast Asia to secure a future for the tiger.
India is taking another approach though,

They initially did forced translocation's of people out of forest areas which didn't do well so now they're encouraging with a firm hand that people move out. I watched a documentary on it a while back where they provide families with a 3 acre plot, a home and some money in exchange for leaving the forests. That's their model for rehabilitation, rightly or wrongly.

I think that the best long-term solution would be trying to decrease the birth rate and combine that with incentivizing people to move away from wild areas. That way, you get larger swathes of wildlife habitat and the wildlife can start regrowing. Then you get some corridors connecting parks so every park can have a fair share of animals and you should be golden. Then we'll see if India wants to apply the North American or the Namibian/South African model of sustainable use once they feel more comfortable about game numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross