Remington core lokt

I use 220gn Core lokts in my 30/06 on deer in thick scrub and they do a tremendous job. Vel approx. 2400fps.

I recently re-stocked on 225gn Core lokts for my .338 and notice that they are now re-marked as "Ultra-bonded Core lokts" with the packaging stating that the formula for manufacture has been updated to reinforce the bond between the core and the jacket.

For thin skinned game like deer they are doing an excellent job, at least for me.

Feedback on hunt

What a hunt! Took down 4 Impalla and a wardhog. Not to impressed with the Remington core lokt. Took a head shot and took off half the head. Could reatreave 1 bullet and hals gone.

Just curious at what point did it fail while killing the animal?

35 Bore.
I know this is an old post. I bought 500 100grain core lokt for my son's 25. Shoots them very accurately, less than an inch at 100 yards and 3,300 fps. Kills game in OZ real well. If kept in there velocity parameters they are great. They tend to be explosive at closer ranges when used in my 25 at almost 3,700 fps.
Where do you get your 35 cal core lokt. They aren't available in OZ, what weight are they.
Cheers mate Bob
I get mine from a local gun store, 225gr. Remington does a limited run with the factory ammo, is what I'm told, so when they are available I buy a case. 200 usually last til deer season. Lol

All because he mentioned a .35...thread resurrection cometh again. Seven years...wow...I thought the .404 crowd was sentimental, but the "thrifty" five crowd is something else. Because you can use .357 magnum bullets @Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Now all we need is someone to suggest we all shoot Swift A Frames because they are infallible and someone else will argue the price tag scares game to death.

All because he mentioned a .35...thread resurrection cometh again. Seven years...wow...I thought the .404 crowd was sentimental, but the "thrifty" five crowd is something else. Because you can use .357 magnum bullets @Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Now all we need is someone to suggest we all shoot Swift A Frames because they are infallible and someone else will argue the price tag scares game to death.
So,,,, the problem???

Forrest Halley
It's got nothing to do with 35s or 404s or any other caliber. It was just curiosity about how others find the rem core lokt.
Cheers Forrest
Bob

I get mine from a local gun store, 225gr. Remington does a limited run with the factory ammo, is what I'm told, so when they are available I buy a case. 200 usually last til deer season. Lol
35 Bore.
They are virtually impossible to get in any thing over 30 cal in OZ. I've just started reloading them in my system son's 25. So far the core lokt are doing well. It the first time I've used them in smaller calibers so curious to hear others experience.
Mr Halley seems to think it's a 35 thread reborn but it ain't it's about CORE LOKTS.
Cheers mate Bob

I was happy to read along. Old threads can have good information, and it's interesting to see if people's opinions have changed over the years. I think this one is a great example! If you guys are still using core lokts with success 7yrs later, it gives a much greater indication as to if they should be something someone leaves on the shelf, or takes to the bush!

Just curious at what point did it fail while killing the animal?

I think I know what he is meaning.
There are bullets that simply work better, decades ago, since I loaded on my 6.5x57 a hornady soft nose pointed bullet, since the Austrian ABC bullet was simply too expensive for me, since I as a reloader also shoot a lot on the range.
The Hornady was mega precise, but the roes still running 100 meters with the best shots, while they were almost all dropped in the sand with the other bullet, so I left Hornady in this caliber.
If you still have no exit on strong game, it will not be so appreciated here, because dogs are (must be) available everywhere in the hunting areas and its much easier fot them to find it,so you have problems with not so good shots.

In practice one hears in Germany about the Core Lokt nothing bad.
But at the moment the soft bullets have no good image.
And therefore they are bad o_O

I use only Rem Corelokt in my 6,5 Creedmoor. 140grain. Always performed perfectly.. Shoot accurately out of the box.. I don't reload etc

I understand most of the current Core-lokt bullets don't have the same jacket thickness and profile as when I hunted with my father who used .303 British Remington Core-lokt factory ammo in his SMLE.

John Barsness indicates the .308 220 grain is one of the few remaining with the older jacket profile and thickness. I don't have a list. He's been spot on about the changes to the Speer Grand Slam shortly after Speer was purchased by ATK in Dec. 2001 so I expect he's correct WRT the current production Remington Core-lokt. In addition to going to a single lead composition poured using the Hot-cor process and eliminating the partial internal ring of jacket material at the interface of the previous two lead cores, manufacturing the .243, .257, and .264 Speer Grand Slam projectiles ceased for quite a while, only reintroduced a few years ago. The overall jacket shape and profile (minus things like heel lock and partial internal ring) have been kept making the current Speer Grand Slam a slightly longer version of the discontinued Speer Mag Tip.

In both cases there are plenty of folks who are pleased with the performance they have had, and others not so much, with said projectiles - past and present.

I use 220gn Core lokts in my 30/06 on deer in thick scrub and they do a tremendous job. Vel approx. 2400fps.

I recently re-stocked on 225gn Core lokts for my .338 and notice that they are now re-marked as "Ultra-bonded Core lokts" with the packaging stating that the formula for manufacture has been updated to reinforce the bond between the core and the jacket.

For thin skinned game like deer they are doing an excellent job, at least for me.
The Core-lokt Ultra Bonded are (were?) manufactured in a select few diameters. They appear to be quite similar to the discontinued Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo which was also manufactured in a few select diameters. Both have (had?) quite a few positive reviews by end users (I pay little attention to the compensated writeups on anything) with disappointment written about the Winchester Power Max Bonded line being discontinued.

The Geco Plus projectile looks similar to the Remington Core-lokt Ultra Bonded and Winchester Power Max Bonded. Ever since site sponsor Safariammo.net went incommunicado availability of Geco ammunition in general and loaded with Plus projectiles has dropped to practically nil in the US. That was well before the global supply chains being broken in 2020.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg