Reloading question for cases

Correct. The point you have circled.
@Rex Exelon pretty much stated the obvious reasons for not using that cartridge. Biggest is for safety.

I apologize to OP @soumya sarkar . Genuinely didn’t mean to derail thread just asking a question. For what it’s worth just found it interesting as I believe I created the same lesion when loading TSX into .375 HH hornady brass. I believe I created it by unknowingly setting seating die to deep probably allowing excessive crimp causing neck compression/collapse into shoulder. Adjusted die shallower and seems to have corrected.
But setting them shallow, doesnt the C.O.A.L gets impacted? Is this a concern/risk deviating from standard

But setting them shallow, doesnt the C.O.A.L gets impacted? Is this a concern/risk deviating from standard
I still am with in reasonable spec for Coal when seating bullet. It’s not that I was pushing bullet down to far with seating stem believe it’s that I set the seating die to deep into press therefore case was engaging the crimp ring in die to early. When I camed over press handle I effectively “over crimped” case? I could be wrong on that theory or not explaining correctly. Happy to hear feedback

Correct. The point you have circled.
@Rex Exelon pretty much stated the obvious reasons for not using that cartridge. Biggest is for safety.
No. thanks
I still am with in reasonable spec for Coal when seating bullet. It’s not that I was pushing bullet down to far with seating stem believe it’s that I set the seating die to deep into press therefore case was engaging the crimp ring in die to early. When I camed over press handle I effectively “over crimped” case? I could be wrong on that theory or not explaining correctly. Happy to hear feedback
Probably, I generally back off the die one full turn before seating the bullet. While RCBS recommends during crimping to turn the die back one full turn, I have seen this may result in too much crimping in large volume cases. THIS STEP I go very slowly quarter turn max, and checking the crimp after every push.

IME @Wahoo good possibility and good remedy. As I have done the same thing.

I run a test brass though all the dies for the caliber I'm starting to reload for to check space between the shell holder and dies so that they don't come in contact especially carbon dies. Then go through the same checks as I start the process of reloading checking each stage.

After 3 or 4 cartridges are reloaded and all checkes then I go into production. I had a die loosen up, carefully tightened it back down, gave it a quick check to see that the shell holder and die didn't contact and the next completed cartridge was crushed because I didn't do a check on the bullet seating depth.

The bullet went in .8 below max C.O.A.L. crushing the neck into the shoulder. Reset the die did a full check and went back into production without any further problems.

Lesson learned when the turret or a die loosens don't do a quick check but a full check before continuing to reload.

Those crushed case necks are why I started using the Lee Factory Crimp die on everything. The roll crimp produced with a seating die is a rather fickle bitch. Slight case length variation will result in a light crimp on one round, and crush the neck on the next. The LFC die is very forgiving and loves any case, from minimum length to maximum, resulting in a very consistent crimp every time. And if there is no cannelure, it can still give a proper squeeze; just use less closure on the collet.
As @Ridge Runner pointed out, if any die or turret loosens, do a full recheck before resuming production. Rifles, faces, hands, are all worth more than the few minutes it takes.

Those crushed case necks are why I started using the Lee Factory Crimp die on everything. The roll crimp produced with a seating die is a rather fickle bitch. Slight case length variation will result in a light crimp on one round, and crush the neck on the next. The LFC die is very forgiving and loves any case, from minimum length to maximum, resulting in a very consistent crimp every time. And if there is no cannelure, it can still give a proper squeeze; just use less closure on the collet.
As @Ridge Runner pointed out, if any die or turret loosens, do a full recheck before resuming production. Rifles, faces, hands, are all worth more than the few minutes it takes.
+1 on the lee factory crimp die. Really the only way to go in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.