DBateman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SUQ. SCI International. SCI Downunder.
Hunted
Australia
I have done a bit of a search and not found anything.

What loading press do you guys use to load your double rifle rounds like the 450/400 470NE and 500NE ect ?

I have a coax but I think it may be a bit small for the bigger rounds.

Are 470NE and 500NE ect still standard 7/8" dies or are they 1-1/4" 1-1/2" ?

Thanks Dave.

Also what dies and case trimers are you guys using ?

I have wilson case trimers but I don't think the will handle the bigger NE cases.

I use a forrester classic case trimmer but RCBS makes a trimmer for the larger cases as we'll . I use a ammo master press from RCBS for reloading but only because I reload 50 BMG as we'll. The dies are the standard 7/8. I load for 470 NE I hope this helps

I use a RCBS Rockchuker fo my 470 NE. I have 4 presses set up for various jobs. Forester case trimmer and C&H dies

The new Rockchucker is lengthened for the bigger shells. I have been using my old one for sometime and finally got tired of fighting it some and got a fresh press.
I use a variety of dies, RCBS, CHD and Hornady. They all work for me.

Thank you for the replies.

I'll just need to make sure the case head fits in a Co-Ax press, I had a look on their chart and can't see it so I may be out of luck.

Do you find reloading for the nitro rounds any different to loading other types of round ?
Do you guy trim every firing for instance ? Any other special steps ?

I have been loading for a wile for 308 303 223 and 38Super and a few other things like that, is there a good reloading manual for Nitro rounds that anyone can recommend ?

OK so I'll just add this so if anybody is looking for info on the subject they can find it.

I emailed Forster about the Co-Ax press and they replied saying the case holder will not work with the NE rounds.

It's a good press and I like using it but I'll need a bigger one to load NE rounds on.

Get Graeme wrights book British double rifles it is probably the best for loading and understanding a double rifle and how to load for it. It helped me greatly. Loading is pretty much the same as most rifle cases but you may need a wade or filler with certain powders. And don't try to hot rod your loads you won't see pressure signs but will most likely be over pressured. I like R15 with a foam filler for my loads and my rifle likes 90 Gr of Reloader 15 with a 500 Gr bullet in my 470 NE but check your rifle and start low first

Thanks mate.

I'll get a copy of Graeme Wrights book ordered next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg