Reloading presses ?

DBateman

AH senior member
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
93
Reaction score
29
Media
3
Member of
SUQ. SCI International. SCI Downunder.
Hunted
Australia
I have done a bit of a search and not found anything.

What loading press do you guys use to load your double rifle rounds like the 450/400 470NE and 500NE ect ?

I have a coax but I think it may be a bit small for the bigger rounds.

Are 470NE and 500NE ect still standard 7/8" dies or are they 1-1/4" 1-1/2" ?

Thanks Dave.
 
Also what dies and case trimers are you guys using ?

I have wilson case trimers but I don't think the will handle the bigger NE cases.
 
I use a forrester classic case trimmer but RCBS makes a trimmer for the larger cases as we'll . I use a ammo master press from RCBS for reloading but only because I reload 50 BMG as we'll. The dies are the standard 7/8. I load for 470 NE I hope this helps
 
I use a RCBS Rockchuker fo my 470 NE. I have 4 presses set up for various jobs. Forester case trimmer and C&H dies
 
The new Rockchucker is lengthened for the bigger shells. I have been using my old one for sometime and finally got tired of fighting it some and got a fresh press.
I use a variety of dies, RCBS, CHD and Hornady. They all work for me.
 
Thank you for the replies.

I'll just need to make sure the case head fits in a Co-Ax press, I had a look on their chart and can't see it so I may be out of luck.

Do you find reloading for the nitro rounds any different to loading other types of round ?
Do you guy trim every firing for instance ? Any other special steps ?

I have been loading for a wile for 308 303 223 and 38Super and a few other things like that, is there a good reloading manual for Nitro rounds that anyone can recommend ?
 
OK so I'll just add this so if anybody is looking for info on the subject they can find it.

I emailed Forster about the Co-Ax press and they replied saying the case holder will not work with the NE rounds.

It's a good press and I like using it but I'll need a bigger one to load NE rounds on.
 
Get Graeme wrights book British double rifles it is probably the best for loading and understanding a double rifle and how to load for it. It helped me greatly. Loading is pretty much the same as most rifle cases but you may need a wade or filler with certain powders. And don't try to hot rod your loads you won't see pressure signs but will most likely be over pressured. I like R15 with a foam filler for my loads and my rifle likes 90 Gr of Reloader 15 with a 500 Gr bullet in my 470 NE but check your rifle and start low first
 
Thanks mate.

I'll get a copy of Graeme Wrights book ordered next week.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,354
Members
169,529
Latest member
LawrenceBo
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top