Reloading Addiction Group

Gizmo,
That's how I load mine, too. 1 at a time on a single stage. I like to trickle powder in slowly right down to the 10th of a grain. It's a great feeling to see a nice shiny round come out of the press knowing everything is perfect. Seems like they shoot better, too.

Well since the last time I commented I can add 8mm Lebel, 9.3x74r, and coming soon to a bench near me..... 6.5 Creedmore soon as I have the funds to buy the rifle.
@Newboomer i agree whole heartedly. It takes me forever to load a box of ammo but..... so worth it.

Wow! Some of your lists read like the inventory of a well stocked gun shop. And I thought I was doing rather well.
Pistol Rifle
357 mag 223/5.56
38spl 30-06
41 mag 308 Win
44 mag 375 HH
45 acp 6.5CR
45 Colt 7mm RM
30 carbine
9mm
44spl
I haunt the local gun shops, shows and Sportsmans Warehouse to see if they have a bullet weight for one of my calibers that I don't have or am a little low on. Usually if they have anything in stock I'll pick up a few boxes of bullets. I don't buy factory loads. I like to tailor my own. Occasionally, if I don't have all my brass cleaned and ready, I get this awful feeling that I gotta get some going. If I don't have something to load I have a bit of a panic attack.
Not a problem, just a wee addiction.

I know the feeling. There probably at least a dozen other calibers that I have but don’t load for. Some is rimfire so obviously not an option and others are stuff like 25 Auto that I have but never shoot so don’t bother getting crap to do it.

Hi,

My name is Chris and I have an addiction. When I was 16, I bought my first loading press.... Fast forward 15 years and my stockpile of loading stuff would take a whole ryder truck just to move. You know you're addicted when:

1. You pick up brass at the range compulsively, most of which you don't load for but you just CAN'T. HAVE. ENOUGH!

2. You get more excited when you see an RCBS Rock Chucker for sale cheap than almost anything else.

3. You buy WAYYYY more brass and bullets than you could possibly need right now. (I have over 300 PREMIUM bullets for a .375 H&H. I shoot about 5 a year.

4. Your brass is sorted into calibers, then sorted into subcategories based on its brand, cleanliness and stage in loading. ( I have 5 different containers just for 9mm. "Dirty", "Clean", 'Clean & Resized", "Clean Primed", "Clean primed and flared".)

I could keep going.... Anywho I thought a thread to get out all your reloading enthusiam would be a helpful way to cope.

Don't worry, you're among like minded individuals.
Everyone in this thread needs help.

Everyone in this thread needs help.

LOL, yep, I started reloading in the mid ‘70’s. I was going through drawers the other day and found 3 sets of .308 dies. I don’t own a .308!

I have reloaded the 22 lr experimentally- just to see if I could do it. It worked but it was not worth the trouble. Even Bullseye was too fast, priming the fired cases was crucial and dangerous, and crimping the bullet was a problem. But when I hear people say that the 22 lr can't be reloaded, I don't know the meaning of can't.

I just loaded my first 9.3x74R ammo this week.

This is the 53rd different cartridge over the past 49 years.

What a wonderful hobby we have! Always some new gem to play with.

What will my wife someday do with all my stuff?....don't wanna think about it!

OTOH, I knew there was a reason I like you guys!

What will my wife someday do with all my stuff?....don't wanna think about it!

OTOH, I knew there was a reason I like you guys!
My wife will call Cody (@Bullthrower338 ) and tell him to come clean this stuff out!!!

I have reloaded the 22 lr experimentally- just to see if I could do it. It worked but it was not worth the trouble. Even Bullseye was too fast, priming the fired cases was crucial and dangerous, and crimping the bullet was a problem. But when I hear people say that the 22 lr can't be reloaded, I don't know the meaning of can't.

Cutting Edge bullets sells everything you need. I'm not convinced it's worth it. I'm buying Lapua Super Long Range for a little over 20.00 usd a box if I buy a case at a time. My SDs are below 7fps in my rifle (20 round string).

although there are plenty of reloaders who are very happy with their results, l find that the really addicted reloaders are buying and using things like this

gYDJpt1.jpg

when you mention these types of tools to some reloaders you can see them physically wince at the thought or even shudder, it can be very entertaining

You should take a look at this. I intend to, just as soon as I can work in some extra loading time.....
You would do this to increase terminal performance of 22 LR and Accuracy...........

Dies are available, along with Load Data as well........... Everything is included.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.22.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.22.29 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.22.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.22.30 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
Reloading....... Actually I much prefer the term Hand Loading. I probably load more NEW BRASS than fired, so "reloading" really does not the best of terms.

223 Remington.. 223 WSSM.. 25 WSSM.. 25/06.. 6.5X55.. 264 WSSM.. 6.5 WSM.. 6.5 Creedmoor

300 BLK.. 30-30.. 7.62X40.. 308 Winchester.. 30/06.. 300 Winchester

338 Winchester.. 338 WSM.. 338 RUM

348 Winchester.. 38/55

358 MPG.. 358 Winchester.. 35 Whelen.. 358 STA.. 358 RUM

9.3/338 Winchester.. 9.3 RUM

416 Taylor.. 416 Remington.. 416 Rigby

450 BushMaster

45/70.. 458 Winchester.. 458 Lott

.510 Alaskan.. 500 NE.. 510 Wells

9.3 B&M.. 416 B&M..
458 B&M Super Short.. 458 B&M SA.. 458 B&M.. 458 B&M EX
475 B&M Super Short.. 475 B&M
50 B&M Super Short.. 50 B&M SA.. 50 B&M Alaskan.. 50 B&M.. 500 B&M.. 500 MDM

9mm.. 38 Spl.. 44 AutoMag.. 44 Mag.. 45 ACP.. 45 Colt.. 500 S&W

I run 5 Dillon 550 presses, 2 Big Redding Single Stage presses

Recent work with 450 Bushmaster, and just loaded 50 rounds of 458 Lott yesterday for a friend that is buffalo hunting in a few weeks.

I also have equipment that tests pressures and a personal 50 yard indoor range. Terminal Performance is tested and much more.

Hand Loading is far more than just reloading empty brass, its a Science.........

although there are plenty of reloaders who are very happy with their results, l find that the really addicted reloaders are buying and using things like this

gYDJpt1.jpg

when you mention these types of tools to some reloaders you can see them physically wince at the thought or even shudder, it can be very entertaining

When you get to these, then you know. I have never owned a concentricity Gauge, have owned this scale. Which I could throw 200 powder charges for a 6XC and seat the bullets in 1 hour (all charges are within 1 kernel of powder of one another).

I get why people measure concentricity. The problem is does the round actually stay that way through the entire cycle from the magazine to the point you pull the trigger? I have never measured and unless you single load every round I'm not convinced it stays that way. You rifle that has a tight chamber (within reason) is going to straighten the ammo out as you close the bolt. The ammo has no choice but to take the shape of the chamber.

I'm not telling anyone to not measure concentricity, I'm saying you can probably concentrate on different efforts to make better ammo.

Screenshot_20230607_072155_Gallery.jpg

When you get to these, then you know. I have never owned a concentricity Gauge, have owned this scale. Which I could throw 200 powder charges for a 6XC and seat the bullets in 1 hour (all charges are within 1 kernel of powder of one another).

I get why people measure concentricity. The problem is does the round actually stay that way through the entire cycle from the magazine to the point you pull the trigger? I have never measured and unless you single load every round I'm not convinced it stays that way. You rifle that has a tight chamber (within reason) is going to straighten the ammo out as you close the bolt. The ammo has no choice but to take the shape of the chamber.

I'm not telling anyone to not measure concentricity, I'm saying you can probably concentrate on different efforts to make better ammo.

View attachment 538222

I bought what I believe is the newer version of the measure on the right (McDonald Precision). It was a total game changer. Every charge is thrown to within 2/100 of a grain. Basically the weight of 1 kernel. Velocities are incredibly consistent. 600 yard groups are so good I’m clearing a lane for an 800 yard target.

I bought what I believe is the newer version of the measure on the right (McDonald Precision). It was a total game changer. Every charge is thrown to within 2/100 of a grain. Basically the weight of 1 kernel. Velocities are incredibly consistent. 600 yard groups are so good I’m clearing a lane for an 800 yard target.

The scale on the left is very accurate and fast. Brand Cole builds each one with his own hands. You will have a year plus wait to take possession. If you are shooting one caliber and a lot of volume it is worth the price of admission.

The scale on the right is my auto trickler with an A&D FX 120i. I have changed the setup a little and now running the Ingenuity precision powder trickler paired with the auto throw. It pretty impressive from what I have seen. Was able to throw 150 powder charges in 1 hour with no issues. Like you said every one of them within 2/100 of a grain.

From my experience, neck tension plays a bigger role on your SDs than a couple kernels of powder. How are you annealing your brass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg