Reloading Addiction Group

@ChrisG
My mate Greg was given a reloading set up years ago. It languished in the cupboard for years as he thought you needed a university degree in rocket science to use it.
Fast forward to 5 or 6 years ago when I met Greg and introduced him to the black art of reloading. He now has more brass, projectiles and primers to outfit a third world army. He has great pleasure working up loads for all his rifles even with projectiles he eill never use off the range. BUT it's fun to him playing with all the possible combinations of bullet, powder, seating depth etc. Even if his load groups less than half an inch he has to play more to work up more lads just because. Even tho he has over 1,000 308 projectiles he had to buy another 400 in a different brand just to try them.
I have created a monster.
Bob
Sounds like me. A friend gave me his RCBS reloading outfit. Press, dies, case trimmer, the works, plus powder and primers. Well over $1k of stuff if I had to buy it. I then let it all sit untouched for 18 months.

Last night I fired my own handloads for the first time. Three rounds of .30-06 150gr. Hornady Interlock ahead of 50.0 gr. of IMR 4064. No chrono but the book says it should be good for 2750 fps or so. Tolerable group 1.50".

Now I guess I play around with the powder charge and try to tighten the group a bit. A fun hobby for sure as I'm a most incorrigible tinker!

"A person with an addiction uses a substance, or engages in a behavior, for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeat the activity, despite detrimental consequences."

What is it about reloading that has detrimental consequences?!

"A person with an addiction uses a substance, or engages in a behavior, for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeat the activity, despite detrimental consequences."

My bank account!

@AimSmall
More money spent on components to experiment, wear barrels out quicker= smaller bank account to but more components.
Plus side
Relaxation, tailored loads to suit rifle and game.
Time away from nagging wife. Priceless.
Bob

I have been reloading since 1978 and for the most part reload for everything I shoot except for rimfire and a couple of pistol calibers.
It is a wonderful hobby that I will continue to be addicted to until the day I cannot shoot any more.

It’s time for me to feed my addiction a bit. And given the scarcity of some of the larger than 30 caliber brass these days I’ve decided to look at annealing cases. Some of my 338s and 416s are on their 5th loadings. Does annealing actually help prevent split necks, and what do y’all use to do it with the larger cases?

It’s time for me to feed my addiction a bit. And given the scarcity of some of the larger than 30 caliber brass these days I’ve decided to look at annealing cases. Some of my 338s and 416s are on their 5th loadings. Does annealing actually help prevent split necks, and what do y’all use to do it with the larger cases?

Yes it helps prevent neck splitting. Your problem will be what cases are you running? Belted magnums will be an issue for long case life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.