Reloading 460 Weatherby Magnum

petterbratt

Reaction score
Hello all!
Wondering if anyone has experience reloading 460 Weatherby, and perticularly what primers work good with that much powder?
I know the Federal 215 is "go-to", but has anyone used Winchester og CCI with good results?
Thanks!

I reload the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum for about 30 years and have shot game with it. I have never used anything other than the primers Federal 215. As far as the powder is concerned, the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum does not have a huge powder capacity. Compared to other cartridges caliber 458, the case of the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum has a normal not too small powder space.

Unfortunately, the same negative things are written for 60 years, but the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum remains one of the best cartridges caliber 458 and over all very easy to reload with powders of different burning rates and surely also with different primers.

I load for the 460. 215s is the go to, so no other results to report.

Not quite sure what @grand veneur was indicating, but yes, the 460 has quite a bit more capacity, and thus capability, than the other 458s. Maybe a miscommunication there.
Thanks, i will stay with the 215 until I run out.
Can't get them in Norway anymore, not sure if we will ever see them again

What's your favorite bullets and powder?

Thanks, i will stay with the 215 until I run out.
Can't get them in Norway anymore, not sure if we will ever see them again

What's your favorite bullets and powder?
Most has been 4350 for 400gr-550gr. Barnes TSX, Swift AF, and DGS & DGX have all worked well.
I have data for 300gr-600gr...just need to put more time into tinkering with them, but 450 & 500 gr. Are the hunting loads.

I have used also winchester rifle and CCI rifle mag also with good results
i have chronographed echa them againts fed215 tand the velocity diff is only 25-30 fps diff but the SD were impressively 8-10 fps for each so no real diffrence from my end.

I have used also winchester rifle and CCI rifle mag also with good results
i have chronographed echa them againts fed215 tand the velocity diff is only 25-30 fps diff but the SD were impressively 8-10 fps for each so no real diffrence from my end.
And no hang-fire?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaustoLuxt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.