Reiser Taxidermy is making me very nervous

UPDATE:
My trophies have arrived at Coppersmith.
At this point I am considering the recent delay as being due to the mentioned trouble finding space on SAA and permitting challenges and not as an indication of a problem with Reiser
That's great news. Glad things are working out

My trophies from this past Aug. were picked up by the shipper from Swift Dip on the 16th of Nov. and they tell they are still waiting permits.

I feel your frustration, this is no way to run a business....just saying.

I agree. I am glad that everything was resolved in this case but I find it strange that it took the PH contacting the taxidermist for the taxidermist to give the PH an update and say they will contact the client. Why on earth couldn't the taxidermist just contact or reply to their client's messages/queries ?

I am surprised that this business owner doesn't see the importance of communicating with your clients. Good communication is key- if there is a delay and you tell the client about it- I doubt to many people would complain... especially when the goods in question are trophies where if they arrive a few weeks later it isn't the end of the world...

Sven has notified me my animals have been dropped off at the airport. I'll post a followup when they arrive stateside.

...... and skip the taxidermy, d&p, shipping and PIA and just go hunting.
I wish I could, but as I plan my first trip, I struggle with the idea of no mounts . I have read some horrible experiences with either shipping/shippers and taxidermy work, but I also realize it’s not everyone’s experience. Then I rationalize that the money saved as you mentioned, can help start the next trip fund. Ugh...... grown up decisions suck sometimes.

Do your homework and your chances of a positive outcome will increase measurably.
As you note, not all experiences with taxidermy and shipping are bad. The bad ones are cautionary tales.
I will/ have become very selective.

Spot on advice from @BRICKBURN ...

Treat your taxidermy decision just like you do your outfitter / PH decision.. Do your homework.. ask a bunch of questions.. get references.. ask for photos of their work (not just the gallery pics they will have on their website)..

Youre potentially spending a considerable amount of money on something that you may only do a few times in your life.. Its worth the effort to do the research and to talk to a few folks before you make a decision on who to use (or not).. and honestly, it can be a fun part of the planning process if you allow it to be...

Doo doo sometimes occurs.. but if you spend a little time on the front end figuring things out, you can reduce the potential for fecal matter in your life by a significant margin.. and not leave much to worry about..

With Delta out of the picture, people and cargo. I'm curious as to who is carrying animals, finished or d&p from Africa to the U.S.

With Delta out of the picture, people and cargo. I'm curious as to who is carrying animals, finished or d&p from Africa to the U.S.
It has to be Ethiopian out of Namibia and Qatar and Emirates out of JNB. I am sure there are other freight options none of us know about as well.

My last crate (delivered late 2020) from Joberg came via Turkish Airlines.. It went from Joberg to Instanbul to Chicago to DFW.. the route was a little long.. and it took a few extra days.. but it was surprisingly less expensive than what we paid in 2019 for a crate brought over by Delta that was roughly the same weight and size.. and everything was delivered in good shape, well handled, etc..

Almost all of the crates were getting in are coming from Turkish air.

Do your homework and your chances of a positive outcome will increase measurably.
As you note, not all experiences with taxidermy and shipping are bad. The bad ones are cautionary tales.
I will/ have become very selective.
Yes sir I am.

United 187 is flying regularly JNB to EWR.

I’m headed to Namibia next week. Any recommendations on taxidermist would be appreciated. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you