Reboring .416 to.423

No animal will care if it was killed by a 416 or 404. If you have 404 reloading stuff I promise it will sell on this website.
I vote leave well enough alone.
You do have a point. I assume it is a 416 Rigby. I would be hard pushed to make a choice between those two. Same legacy/ history. Similar reputation.

No animal will care if it was killed by a 416 or 404. If you have 404 reloading stuff I promise it will sell on this website.
I vote leave well enough alone.
Yes sir. I have the gun up for sale and will likely end up keeping it. I have a couple actions and another .404 barrel blank as well.. May end up not doing anything with any of them. :).

458 Accurate Reload would work, or wildcats and proprietary cartridges based on the RUM/Jeff/Dakota case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about having a pre-64 rebored from .416 to .423. Does anyone have a reputable smith for the job? Called JES and they don’t do .423. Thanks.

you can’t. You need 0.030” to remove old rifling and cut new. You have .007” and rifling cuts are at least .005” no plan.

you can’t. You need 0.030” to remove old rifling and cut new. You have .007” and rifling cuts are at least .005” no plan.
Yes sir, it was my understanding there would be no math. . Going to leave it unmolested and put it back in the safe.

You do have a point. I assume it is a 416 Rigby. I would be hard pushed to make a choice between those two. Same legacy/ history. Similar reputation.
Yup. It is actually a .416 Hoffman. Built by Sterling Davenport and, as I just mentioned a second ago, I am going to leave it unmolested.

The issue is a technical one. Even if you found someone who would re-bore to .423, the amount of metal to be removed is 35 thousands of an inch. You will not even remove the old rifling lands, they would just be shallower. The issue with that is that in the process of re-boring, you want to remove all the metal that has been "worked" by the rifling process (button, Hammer Forged, etc) as inconsistencies in metal hardness and ductility will make a re-boring reamer wander and end up with a not-so-true bore. This is why JES won't do, for instance, a .338 to .358 re-bore.

A rebarrel seems like the way to go, or bump up to something like a full gun overhaul and go to a larger bore like a .475 or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!