RE15 replacement?

KevinNC

AH member
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Messages
34
Reaction score
64
Location
NC
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Memeber
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada, Ireland
With my 8 lb jug getting lighter, I will need an eventual replacement powder for the 450/400 3". Norma 203b is also unobtainium as an equivalent these days so what other powders are good to work with for a regulating load with a foam rod filler? I hear 3031 mentioned but it is a good bit faster that RE15. In the past I have found Varget to be close to equivalent in cartridges as diverse as the 35 Whelen and .223 Rem. I also have a couple pounds on hand. Has anyone worked with Varget as a RE15 replacement in the double rifle sense?
 
I'm new to the double game, but I am having good luck with rl 15.5 for the full power loads and h4895 for low recoil practice rounds.

I'm shooting the 470NE though so it may not work for you.
 
Apologies here, after some searching I see that alternative powders to RE15 has been well covered here.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,240
Messages
1,569,344
Members
168,658
Latest member
FrancineMo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top