Re-Barreling Question?

Fatback

AH legend
Joined
Aug 28, 2022
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
7,228
Location
Lowndes Co, Georgia
Media
69
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
2
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbawe and RSA
Can a 375 H&H be re-barreled to 416 Remington? Would any work have to be done to the magazine or action?
 
No reason that I know of; magazine length should be good, but mag and feed lips may need alteration. Apart from that, a new barrel, and ensure fit and weight are acceptable.
 
I agree with @krish

If youre just rebarreling for the sake of obtaining a new caliber.. the better option 99 out of 100 times (IMO) is just to buy a new rifle.. a decent barrel will cost you at least a couple of hundred bucks (a good barrel will cost more).. and having a smith finish out the chamber for you will be $100-$200... then you're looking at having sights installed ($200-$300 for the sights and the installation).. having a finish put on it all ($100-$300 depending on what you want to do)... all in you're looking at $700-$1000 to do things right and get the rifle to a state of completion... when you could have picked up a decent used 416 for the same money or only slightly more...

Thats not to say I haven't rebarreled a few rifles in my day.. Ive done a couple "just because".. and a few more because I had an actual problem (bad chamber, shot out barrel, etc)..... just advising that cost justification is pretty hard to do if you're talking a typical user grade hunting rifle like a sportered M98 or a Win 70 etc..
 
My bad; I answered the question directly, didn't look at better options. Apologies.
 
I appreciate all input. I am trying to look at all options. I need a LH rifle and that has proven to be difficult to find in 416 or 404 in my price range. Id like to stay under 5k if possible.

I’d love to find a M70 in 416 Rem but have not been able to, yet. I do have a M70 in 375 H&H I got last year and love it and if I were to find another one I’d buy it and have it re-barreled. I check the online sites daily. Im sure it’s just a matter of time before something shows up. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am new to the bigger bore rifles and have enjoyed learning and the folks here have been very gracious with their knowledge and insight. Much appreciated.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,144
Members
169,905
Latest member
Vaughn9005
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top