Question about packing ammunition

But back to the the main question. Can a hard sided, lockable pistol case act as a suitable ammo case?
 
But back to the the main question. Can a hard sided, lockable pistol case act as a suitable ammo case?
I do not see why it could not be used it is just a different looking plastic box that has lock holes.
 
But back to the the main question. Can a hard sided, lockable pistol case act as a suitable ammo case?
Yes, any hard sided case that is lockable is ok to use.

As to my previous question, you have a valid concern and it makes great sense to separate the ammo in case one bag is lost. However, in my trips to Africa I have found not all ticketing agents have the same sense you and I would have. I would encourage you to do as you are suggesting, but be mentally prepared to move the ammo to the same checked bag should you be told to do so. You just never know what you will run into.
 
Crap. My Pelican ammo case weighs 5.8 pounds empty.
If I am flying into JNB then flying on to another location, and have to pull my locked ammo case out of my checked bag and it becomes its own piece of luggage, I too use a Pelican case, I think maybe it's the 1200 model.

If I am flying from the states to a location in Africa where my ammo case stays in my checked bag all the way, I use a lightweight Plano case like this one. On this last trip I took 60 rounds of .308 ammo, the total weight of the case and ammo was 2.2kg.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
I would put two boxes in one case, and two boxes in a second case. I would put the cases in separate carry on suitcases.
Maybe I missed it in the rules, but I thought all ammo (however stored) had to be transported in checked luggage/suitcases, not carry ons.
My primary question is the suitability of using pistol cases to carry the ammo boxes.
The hard polymer “Glock-marked” pistol cases could raise an issue for TSA or other security as to whether there’s a pistol inside, triggering a search.
 
Maybe I missed it in the rules, but I thought all ammo (however stored) had to be transported in checked luggage/suitcases, not carry ons.

The hard polymer “Glock-marked” pistol cases could raise an issue for TSA or other security as to whether there’s a pistol inside, triggering a search.
Carry on was a mistake. You are correct that they must be in checked baggage on international, and I believe checked as a separate item within SA.

I agree with the Glock comment. I think I’m going with one or two Pelican cases.
 
When I was dropping my rifle off at Port Elizabeth I did see a Glock plastic box in the office. I don’t know what was in it.
 
When I was dropping my rifle off at Port Elizabeth I did see a Glock plastic box in the office. I don’t know what was in it.
As in confiscated or someone ad dropped one off?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,923
Members
169,646
Latest member
xoilac21com2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top