Question about kudu cape

autofire

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
323
Reaction score
479
Media
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
1
Hunted
Namibia(3), RSA-Limpopo (1), East Cape (2), Botswana(4)
I have an awesome double broken horn kudu head mount being processed in Botswana. Today taxidermist mentioned kudu cape tends to have slippage and hair loss on ears and they are "tricky at best". Any one have experience with kudu cape issues? I Would I be better off just getting a Euro mount to avoid high probability of problems with the cape?
 
Hundreds of kudu mounts done every year, this is the first I've heard of mounting kudu as 'tricky at best'. But I spent three years in the 9th grade, what would I know? lol
 
Yes almost every kudu cape experiences epidermis slippage- neck, ears, almost everywhere. It's very common and I've never dealt with a kudu cape that didn't have at least some. Since it is regular, most taxidermists know how to "fix" the issue. A combination of paint, dry pigments, fillers etc are used to repair it. It's very common and if your taxidermist is already shying away from it, I'm not sure what I think of that as a customer.

Is your plan to mount the double broken horn kudu?

As a side note, extra kudu capes are in the top 5% of desirable capes on the resale market. Just something to ponder.
 
Yes almost every kudu cape experiences epidermis slippage- neck, ears, almost everywhere. It's very common and I've never dealt with a kudu cape that didn't have at least some. Since it is regular, most taxidermists know how to "fix" the issue. A combination of paint, dry pigments, fillers etc are used to repair it. It's very common and if your taxidermist is already shying away from it, I'm not sure what I think of that as a customer.

Is your plan to mount the double broken horn kudu?

As a side note, extra kudu capes are in the top 5% of desirable capes on the resale market. Just something to ponder.
Yes, I was planning on getting a neck mount vs shoulder mount. My instinct follow your comment re taxidermist already shying away seems like a cya statement. Once I receive mount from Botswana to late to object to quality of cape. Thanks
 
As mentioned already, I would be a bit skeptical of the quality this taxidermist can provide. If it's a known issue, anyone worth paying to do the work should know how to fix it. Or if he's just bad at his craft, he's already giving an excuse for why yours may turn out poorly.

Perhaps go the dip and pack method, and get work done more locally.
 
Most cape and hair slip issues are as a result of incorrect field treatment before it arrives at the taxidermist.....you are lucky to be informed beforehand...
 
As mentioned already, I would be a bit skeptical of the quality this taxidermist can provide. If it's a known issue, anyone worth paying to do the work should know how to fix it. Or if he's just bad at his craft, he's already giving an excuse for why yours may turn out poorly.

Perhaps go the dip and pack method, and get work done more locally.
Localcannot fix hair slip due to incorrect field treatment....
 
Localcannot fix hair slip due to incorrect field treatment....
Very true. But if the statement was a broad "(all) Kudu tend to have hair slippage on the ears" then its no longer about field treatment, unless its specific to an outfitter or consistent situation.
 
A taxidermist experienced with African game can fix it.

An African taxidermist should have access to everything they need to do a good job.


I might just let him ship it to you.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,289
Messages
1,570,722
Members
168,993
Latest member
OctaviaLam
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top