Question about kudu cape

autofire

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia(3), RSA-Limpopo (1), East Cape (2), Botswana(3)
I have an awesome double broken horn kudu head mount being processed in Botswana. Today taxidermist mentioned kudu cape tends to have slippage and hair loss on ears and they are "tricky at best". Any one have experience with kudu cape issues? I Would I be better off just getting a Euro mount to avoid high probability of problems with the cape?

Hundreds of kudu mounts done every year, this is the first I've heard of mounting kudu as 'tricky at best'. But I spent three years in the 9th grade, what would I know? lol

Yes almost every kudu cape experiences epidermis slippage- neck, ears, almost everywhere. It's very common and I've never dealt with a kudu cape that didn't have at least some. Since it is regular, most taxidermists know how to "fix" the issue. A combination of paint, dry pigments, fillers etc are used to repair it. It's very common and if your taxidermist is already shying away from it, I'm not sure what I think of that as a customer.

Is your plan to mount the double broken horn kudu?

As a side note, extra kudu capes are in the top 5% of desirable capes on the resale market. Just something to ponder.

Yes almost every kudu cape experiences epidermis slippage- neck, ears, almost everywhere. It's very common and I've never dealt with a kudu cape that didn't have at least some. Since it is regular, most taxidermists know how to "fix" the issue. A combination of paint, dry pigments, fillers etc are used to repair it. It's very common and if your taxidermist is already shying away from it, I'm not sure what I think of that as a customer.

Is your plan to mount the double broken horn kudu?

As a side note, extra kudu capes are in the top 5% of desirable capes on the resale market. Just something to ponder.
Yes, I was planning on getting a neck mount vs shoulder mount. My instinct follow your comment re taxidermist already shying away seems like a cya statement. Once I receive mount from Botswana to late to object to quality of cape. Thanks

As mentioned already, I would be a bit skeptical of the quality this taxidermist can provide. If it's a known issue, anyone worth paying to do the work should know how to fix it. Or if he's just bad at his craft, he's already giving an excuse for why yours may turn out poorly.

Perhaps go the dip and pack method, and get work done more locally.

Most cape and hair slip issues are as a result of incorrect field treatment before it arrives at the taxidermist.....you are lucky to be informed beforehand...

As mentioned already, I would be a bit skeptical of the quality this taxidermist can provide. If it's a known issue, anyone worth paying to do the work should know how to fix it. Or if he's just bad at his craft, he's already giving an excuse for why yours may turn out poorly.

Perhaps go the dip and pack method, and get work done more locally.
Localcannot fix hair slip due to incorrect field treatment....

Localcannot fix hair slip due to incorrect field treatment....
Very true. But if the statement was a broad "(all) Kudu tend to have hair slippage on the ears" then its no longer about field treatment, unless its specific to an outfitter or consistent situation.

A taxidermist experienced with African game can fix it.

An African taxidermist should have access to everything they need to do a good job.

I might just let him ship it to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?