QR Scope mounts

I have moved away from QD mounts on most of my hunting rifles. Most of my rifles have fixed, low, steel Talley mounts. I can carry a tool in my kit if I need to remove them. Having the same mounts on most of my rifles allows me to swap scopes between them,,, of course, I need to resight after the swap, but that is no trouble.

My .404 has QD mounts and a folding aperture sight and front ramp, in case there is a need to use irons.

I have also had good service from Leupold mounts, but I like to use the same brand mounts/bases on all my rifles to aid flexibility and simplicity.

Is your 404 a BRNO ? If not, would like to see how your folding peep works.

I have 2 types of Leupolds, but have mostly moved to Warnes. Over 10 air trips, they have held zero and are repeatable. 375 H&H is the largest caliber I have used them on. But, so far I’m pleased.

Does anybody use german claw mounts, or swing mounts?
I saw zero comments on them above.
Why not?

Claws and swing mounts are fantastic! But boy are they pricey.

If you're a gunsmith and can measure flawlessly, you can buy the parts to do a pivot mount for $400. Non-refundable, no returns. So you better know EXACTLY what to order as there are infinite height combinations and the front and rear ring may be different heights, plus the foot set back varies based on scope you're trying to use. To set them up takes steady hands and reasonable expertise. Alternatively, for $700 you can have NECG put a set of pivots on and call it a day.

Claw mounts are $1500 and require custom gunsmithing. JJ Peredoux, NECG, etc. can do them. They are not pre-made and are always hand fitted. They don't stock the infinite combinations of parts so once they get your scope and your rifle, they mail away to Germany for the components. It's a 6 month job overall right now and you better like that scope combo because there is no changing your mind or swapping scopes after the install.

Talley at $250 are pretty darned good, certainly what I've used on all my Pre-64 model 70s as that's about what is practical on a value/quality of rifle in relation to value/quality of mounts it deserves.

Warne are not as high of quality and are a bit crude for "best guns" but they make some specific models that you cannot get a Talley. Ruger #1 and CZ550 being two options that you need Warnes as there is no Talley option.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the $700 Griffin & Howe sidemount. These are exquisite mounts but the collectors absolutely hate them and punish the gun on resale value. For this reason, I'm a big fan of buying pre-64 Model 70s for half-value because they have a G&H base already installed that is irreversible. Buy a new slide or new rings in 30mm and off you go. The reason the $700 G&H is so coveted for dangerous game rifles is it is often the LEAST EXPENSIVE scope arrangement that allows you to retain use of your low profile express sights. Sure, Holland & Holland and Rigby make claw sidemounts that will give you an unobstructed view of your express sights, but they want $5000 to furnish the mounts and install them, plus a trip to the UK, customs, permits, and shipping. You better really love your rifle to go that route. Heck, you can literally buy a used rigby or holland occasionally with these mounts for the cost it would take to have these mounts added to your rifle.

That's what I know about mounts, for what its worth.

Just curious on so many Talley votes? I have only one rifle set up with Talley and half a dozen with Warne. What are the pluses for Talley?
I have used both and find the fit and finish better on Talleys. I would rate the Warne pretty much on par with the Leupold QRW with the Talley a step above. My only experience with Alaskans was the set my buddy's CZ in .458 Lott ate for breakfast. They have a good reputation, but after seeing that mess I personally steer clear.

Is your 404 a BRNO ? If not, would like to see how your folding peep works.
No. My rifle is a Buehler made rifle on a Granite Mountain action. It is very similar to the Jeffery rifle below. The folding aperture sight is from Jeffery.
Jeffery Folding peep sight.jpg

Last edited:
PS. A similar peep sight (Rigby Style) is available from John McLaugling of Helena, MT. He makes them for Rigby.

cropped-rigbyfront1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross