Ontario Hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
SA
Anyone have experience or recommendations for recessed socket quick detach push-button release QD sling swivels? Seems a good alternative for DGR vs barrel band. Bands with slings attached are bound to interfere with barrel harmonics set at the range. Recessed base for sling swivel would preclude stud running into fore end gripping hand during heavy recoil or interfering with shooting sticks.

Had a Browning with them long ago. Clean look, answers your concern, but I did not carry that rifle enough to offer insight on reliability.

Anyone have experience or recommendations for recessed socket quick detach push-button release QD sling swivels? Seems a good alternative for DGR vs barrel band. Bands with slings attached are bound to interfere with barrel harmonics set at the range. Recessed base for sling swivel would preclude stud running into fore end gripping hand during heavy recoil or interfering with shooting sticks.

The ones made by EAW or Rechnagel are designed with an articulating hinge that prevents them from hitting the barrel in a proper european style barrel-band swivel. They come in both the European small shaft size, or the "uncle mike's" hole size.

They sell for about $60 a set and to my knowledge NECG is the only US vendor.

The ones made by EAW or Rechnagel are designed with an articulating hinge that prevents them from hitting the barrel in a proper european style barrel-band swivel. They come in both the European small shaft size, or the "uncle mike's" hole size.

They sell for about $60 a set and to my knowledge NECG is the only US vendor.
I'm not terribly concerned about the sling or swivel hitting the barrel. Rather, the issue being if the sling is attached, and it often would be in a field hunting situation, it is bound to affect the barrel harmonics of a rifle sighted at the range without a sling. Or vice versa. Admittedly, this is typically a moot issue with most DGRs as their barrel band swivels are purely decoration anyway since those guys typically insist on no sling and Africa carry when toting their guns in the field. I prefer to make use of swivels and slings.

I'm not terribly concerned about the sling or swivel hitting the barrel. Rather, the issue being if the sling is attached, and it often would be in a field hunting situation, it is bound to affect the barrel harmonics of a rifle sighted at the range without a sling. Or vice versa. Admittedly, this is typically a moot issue with most DGRs as their barrel band swivels are purely decoration anyway since those guys typically insist on no sling and Africa carry when toting their guns in the field. I prefer to make use of swivels and slings.

I gave you the correct answer with the correct tool for the job, provided you used the correct and proper barrel band on the barrel to begin with. (one with a shoulder that is designed for use with the aforementioned swivels so that the swivel cannot hit the barrel, damaging it while causing noise)

As to accuracy and harmonics and other tacticool considerations some people have about barrel swivels, I'll mention this: On my Dakota take-down in 458 Lott, the 100 yard test target shows it printed 1/2 MOA groups from the factory. If that pesky barrel band was causing accuracy issues, just imagine what the rifle could have been! 1/8 MOA groups perhaps at 1000 meters? <sarcasm>

You're going to be fine if you use the correct barrel band and the correct barrel band swivels. If you're fabricating on your own, all bets are off. Considerable thought went into a system that works flawlessly by the Europeans.

1000023590.jpg

Pachmayer recessed

How far do you plan to shoot your DG rifle? I suppose you might want to take a 200 yard shot at a unique opportunity, in that case when shooting off the sticks without tension on the sling I don’t think you’ll have any accuracy issues.
Operator error has a much greater detriment.

Personally, I'm not particulay enamored with barrel band mounted sling. They hang too low. In thick cover my gun is typically off my shoulder so something hanging low isn't really necessary. In rough steep country where I am most likely to need my hands to retain balance, I don't want a rifle butt banging into my butt and thigh. For whatever reason (purely cosmetic it seems), the barrel band look is very popular for African guns. Admittedly, resale value is also a concern so I have thought about it. But attaching a barrel band would, as I understand it, require rebluing the rifle. Not interested in that. This used stock I just installed after restoring undoubtedly came off an African gun.
20240420_112851.jpg

It only had one sling swivel on the butt. The fancy checkering almost runs to the fore end cap.
20240419_092137.jpg
Installing a sling swivel in the stock outside the checkering would still put it higher than I would like and would require some reinforcement in the barrel channel. So I'm kinda torn. Just exploring options.

Does anyone have experience with the flush cup push-button style recessed swivel mounts? Do they disengage accidentally?

Does anyone have experience with the flush cup push-button style recessed swivel mounts? Do they disengage accidentally?
I’ve not had any dealings with them, but my gunsmith friend has installed lots on custom rifles, mostly in composite stocks, these tend to be PRS or long range style firearms. I’ve not heard of them coming free, but as it’s a definite action to press in and release the swivel, I would assume that it doesn’t happen
gumpy

Personally, I'm not particulay enamored with barrel band mounted sling. They hang too low. In thick cover my gun is typically off my shoulder so something hanging low isn't really necessary. In rough steep country where I am most likely to need my hands to retain balance, I don't want a rifle butt banging into my butt and thigh. For whatever reason (purely cosmetic it seems), the barrel band look is very popular for African guns. Admittedly, resale value is also a concern so I have thought about it. But attaching a barrel band would, as I understand it, require rebluing the rifle. Not interested in that. This used stock I just installed after restoring undoubtedly came off an African gun.
View attachment 601248
It only had one sling swivel on the butt. The fancy checkering almost runs to the fore end cap.
View attachment 601249Installing a sling swivel in the stock outside the checkering would still put it higher than I would like and would require some reinforcement in the barrel channel. So I'm kinda torn. Just exploring options.

Just FYI a barrel mounted swivel is not for cosmetic reasons. It is specifically there so in the event you are running and the rifle barrel hits say an overhanging branch it doesn’t rip the stud out of a wooden fore end

S

Just FYI a barrel mounted swivel is not for cosmetic reasons. It is specifically there so in the event you are running and the rifle barrel hits say an overhanging branch it doesn’t rip the stud out of a wooden fore end

S
Really? Haven't heard that one before. If my gun hit a tree hard enough to rip a sling stud from its foundation, I think that would be the least of my concerns. I have seen guns that fell out of moving vehicles and the sling swivel studs remained intact in the stocks.

Sauer has used flush cup, push button swivels forever on their 200/202 rifles.

My Sauer sling on a 200 in 30-06 has been carried the most out of anything I own and has never given me issues. That gun is heavy too.

Really? Haven't heard that one before. If my gun hit a tree hard enough to rip a sling stud from its foundation, I think that would be the least of my concerns. I have seen guns that fell out of moving vehicles and the sling swivel studs remained intact in the stocks.

Also less barrel pointing above shoulder to catch in undergrowth/branches if carry muzzle up

View attachment 601248
View attachment 601249Installing a sling swivel in the stock outside the checkering would still put it higher than I would like and would require some reinforcement in the barrel channel. So I'm kinda torn. Just exploring options.
Ontario: That is a great looking rifle stock !

Attachments

• Flush Mount Base Cups - McMillan Stocks.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH