Qatar Air

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Joined
Apr 24, 2016
Messages
460
Reaction score
641
Media
14
Hunting reports
Africa
2
How do you feel flying through Doha in Qatar Air with theIran conflict going on ? What about flying with your own guns through Doha. I have flown that trip before but without guns.
 
I flew back through there 10 days ago, no issues.

If you want to take your own gun here is what you need:

copy for form 4457, copy of passport, copy of 'letter of invitation', copy of 'gun surrender' which is found on their website.

When you step up to check-in, give them these 4 things, tell them they are copies and they can have them. Then take another copy for the way home. They will have you pull out your ammo, weigh it, then put it back in your luggage. They may, or may not ask you to open your gun case.

If you take these 4 papers with you, hand them to them, you'll be on your way in 10-15 minutes, it is not difficult.
 
I flew back through there 10 days ago, no issues.

If you want to take your own gun here is what you need:

copy for form 4457, copy of passport, copy of 'letter of invitation', copy of 'gun surrender' which is found on their website.

When you step up to check-in, give them these 4 things, tell them they are copies and they can have them. Then take another copy for the way home. They will have you pull out your ammo, weigh it, then put it back in your luggage. They may, or may not ask you to open your gun case.

If you take these 4 papers with you, hand them to them, you'll be on your way in 10-15 minutes, it is not difficult.
They have a hub here in Dublin so I am considering them for next year. Did you have to prearrange the transportation of your firearms with Qatar ?
 
I flew Qatar last week, arriving in Lusaka via Doha on Sept. 11, 2026. I’m returning via Doha next week.

The Gulf War presented no issues. I have no doubt that insurance companies have a lower risk tolerance than I do - if there was a real risk to an airplane in a particular location, they would not allow the plane to fly there.

So no issues at all on that score.

As far as traveling Qatar with guns, I brought two. The process is as described above, perhaps with some regional variations. I had no problems in Toronto (where I first boarded Qatar), but it took about a half hour to 45 minutes to get through the process. Not a difficult process, just time consuming.

I would add one step to the process (@Sika98k). Qatar says on their website that you must obtain prior approval to fly with firearms. Your travel agent can get that for you, or you can apply on your own. Once that is given, they send you the Surrender of Firearms form mentioned by Andrew62 (filled out in by them advance, in my case at least). You must wait to sign that form in front of them at the airport.

Pretty easy all around, if a bit bureaucratic. But Doha has a great airport, and the business class lounge (one of the best in the world) is a great place to spend a layover!
 
Try this link. I do know that when I took this last flight I did not use a Travel Agent. I filled out this form online, within 24-48 hours I had their approval back. I printed that out and took with me, this is 1 of the 4 things you will want to have copies of to hand them when checking in. You can fill out and apply for the 'surrender form' anytime after you have purchased your ticket.

As @Hank2211 says, it is not a difficult process if you simply have those forms I mentioned ready to hand them.

 
@Hank2211 , @Andrew62 thanks for the speedy response. My buddy will be flying from Toronto so this is looking like a no brainer so far.
 
Just did it in August, second time flying them with a gun. You just have to fill some paperwork out ahead of time. What's nice is when you board they radio down and make sure the guns are loaded.

There was a missle attack the night we flew out of Doha and it caused us to take a really weird route north then west before heading south. Didn't know about the attack until we landed and read the news but was wondering why we had such a roundabout routing. It was kind of weird to think about.

My feeling is the Iranians know that right now a lot of the world just wants it to end and isn't really behind Trump, but if they shoot down a civilian airliner even on accident that will change so they are going to be very very careful.
 
Oh, I should add that I had that form filled out in advance, but when returning the agent in harare filled out a brand new one by hand. He copied the information off the one I handed him rather than just having me sign the one I had already filled out. A real headshaking moment.
 
Oh, I should add that I had that form filled out in advance, but when returning the agent in harare filled out a brand new one by hand. He copied the information off the one I handed him rather than just having me sign the one I had already filled out. A real headshaking moment.
Flying through Harare generally causes a number of head shaking moments!! LOL
 
I’ve used Qatar through Doha several times over the last couple years, always with guns and never an issue. Returned with them back in May after changes with Delta itinerary proved a total shit show.

Will fly Qatar to Harare and back again next month, taking two firearms again. Couple prerequisites, all pointed out by Andrew and should prove easy peasy if folllowed. Doha does have a great airport, solid cigar selection, hotels within security, solid lounges, and morning arrivals to Harare and JoB, meaning no need or at least less likely need for an initial overnight in town…just roll or fly me right on to camp.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,260
Members
169,515
Latest member
RubyeShead
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top