Proper hunting clothes for a safari

well as i said i have used them for years and rate them. no shirt is going to stand up to being walked through thorns etc. you get to know the bushes etc to avoid, maybe thats why ours are lasting longer ;) we use the shirts i mentioned as our company shirts with our logo, and yes they do get messed up from time to time but are being worn all the time..............

And that is also why my legs looked like I had run a cheese grader over them and my PH didn't have a scratch on his!

I must be a fashion nerd and or really cheap (Scottish heritage). Bought the camo pants and olive long sleeve shirts at walmart. Three shirts and 2 pairs of pants and a cheap boonie hat $80. I brought some old very light camo coverups I've had for years. Pants, socks and coverups were treated with Walmart tick spray, good for about a month or 6 washings. Boots were leather flexible sole hikers. My PH got bitten a number of times but he was wearing shorts and no spray.

I bought most of my "safari wear" on EBay. All was very slightly used and paid pennies on the dollar, literally. All very good quality, Cabelas, Eddie Bauer, Woolrich, even some Columbia. The combo, cargo pants/shorts type pants really work out well. Started out chilly in the mornings and 80's by noon. Just zip off the legs and toss them in your pack. You don't need much. Remember, daily laundry service over there! ;) Kevin

Cabelas Safari shirts, carhartt pants. Perfect combo IMO.

Cabelas Safari shirts, carhartt pants. Perfect combo IMO.

Hello JGRaider,

I'm with you on the Carhartt pants and wear them, like most active Alaskans do.

But for Africa, I now wear only soft cotton pants, both full length legs or shorts.

(I get most of my hunting clothes in second hand stores here).

This is because a PH mentioned to me that he wished people would stop wearing Carhartts to his camp because they make a canvas on canvas scraping sound every time they take a step.

My hearing must not be too good anymore because I cannot hear my own "scraping sound".

But, "when in Rome, I always try to do as the Romans do", as much as possible, so as to not annoy my PH any more than I probably already do with my staccato of wide-eyed questions around the evening fire each night.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Yes Velo! But I'm specifically referring to the "soft" carhartts such as ripcord/soft canvas. They are as quiet as anything.

Yes Velo! But I'm specifically referring to the "soft" carhartts such as ripcord/soft canvas. They are as quiet as anything.

Hi again JGRaider,

Evidently I've been living in the past (as usual) and had no idea that Carhartt offers any other britches except their original stout canvas (12 oz?) type.

The softer/quiet version sounds perfect for Africa, especially if they make them available in the dull green color, like they do in their heavier canvas ones.

You just learn't me something new and I appreciate it.

Life would be a bit dull if we could not learn something new fairly regularly.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

Having lived most of my life in hot parts of Africa I always go for the light weight 100% cotton clothes and good quality tennis shoes that can be washed often.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING no questions asked is BOOTS!!!!

Unless you are the kind of person that needs a 1907 period correct costume (and by the looks of some of the catalogs, these people must exist in large number!) $100 can buy you perfectly acceptable clothing in Africa in a worst case scenario. No amount of money on earth will get you a properly fitting broken-in set of boots. Even bespoke hunting boots need to be broken in.

I usually travel with two pairs of hunting boots: one in the carry-on, one in checked luggage. Last year, I needed to replace one of my two pairs of hunting boots. I saw a pair of boots I wanted when I was in Namibia in 2011, so when I went back in 2013, I traveled with a pair of boots in the carry-on and intended to buy the boots I wanted in Windhoek upon arrival. Turns out the company moved or went out of business or something and we couldn't get the new pair of boots. No problem, I had my regular boots in carry-on. When I put them on the first day, I discovered to my horror that somehow, despite being in carry-on, they had been damaged some how such that there was a fold of hard leather impacting painfully into the top of my toes. No effort fixed them. I ended up hunting several days in sandals until discovering that my PH happened to have a new pair of exactly the boots I was hoping to buy, and in the size I wear!! Break-in was still uncomfortable but fortunately, the situation was that my wife was leopard hunting and my son was out for honey badger, and I was there for moral support and to sit the occasional water hole. Bullet dodged.

The new plan is one pair of hunting boots ON MY FEET for the travel and the other pair in the carry-on either with shoe trees in them or stuffed full with socks, etc.

As far as clothing goes, I really like to travel light. Africa suits this as there is generally laundry service, so one change of clothing is all I need. I really like tropical weight BDU pants (I prefer to remove the thigh pocket). They are loose and the adjustable waist band means it is easy to fit long johns under for the morning chill. I actually use heavy fleece pajamas as long johns and then I've also got them as pajamas if it is cold at night. Double duty and versatile.

I've worn T-shirts, but I prefer a brown golf shirt. The golf shirt is more presentable for a trip into town. If I could find a pair of lightweight chinos with a fairly loose fit at the knees, I'd go with those because they would work well in town and the bush. I find pants that aren't loose at the knees really add to the effort of walking. If you remove the thigh pockets from the BDUs, they look halfway presentable in town. For a dedicated hunting trip, packing is easy. If you add in trips to town, or you are staying in Europe for a week before heading to Africa, or whatever, you need more and that adds weight and volume.

A hat is important to me to keep the sun out of my eyes; I use an old boonie hat when it is hot. I picked up a German wool hunting hat that I like and is kind of warm enough for cool mornings, but really a wool watch cap would travel better and be warmer. However, I dress for the plane- jacket, tie, etc so I can wear my German hat and it looks reasonable and it doesn't add to my load. I like to dress for flights, just the way I was raised. I think one gets treated better throughout the airport/airline experience if one is dressed well. I had a travel jacket specifically made with extra pockets for tickets, passport, American and destination currency, etc. I look presentable, I can go to a decent restaurant, I have all my stuff readily at hand, and it works as a blanket on the plane if I need one. If I put a sweater underneath, I don't need a coat in most environments (if I'm wearing a jacket, I'm probably in an urban area and will only be outside for a short period of time). A no-iron shirt completes the plane/ nice places ensemble and I don't have to pack it. I wear it on the plane and take off what I need if it gets warm. The sweater works double duty on the hunt- I get cold easily; I grant I may bring more clothing of this sort than the average person. A knit sweater is not a good outer layer in the bush: it picks up seeds and thorns and everything else. The sweater is a layer worn underneath something else. I happen to like a heavy wool button-up shirt in the bush if it is cold; others may differ. Mine is a Korean war surplus job that I got for $3.

In the carry-on is always a change of socks and underwear. I've had my luggage lost for as long as 4 days and was able to do fine by washing socks and underwear in the sink. You can wash the no-iron shirt and it comes out OK, but if you are wearing it every day prepare to start the day off wet if you are just drying it on a hanger in the hotel room.

Travel light and plan double duty for everything and you won't be sorry.

TAG safari had the only left handed shirts so I got them. I like the fact that I can roll the sleeves up and then button them. Add cotton shorts and the kit is complete for warmer weather. I looked at a lot of long pants and finally found them at Orvis. They are here. http://www.orvis.com/p/14-pocket-expedition-poplin-cargo-pants/387y . A fleece vest for cooler nights rounds out the gear.

A couple of pairs of everything is more than enough as laundry is done daily.

As far as shoes go I have a pair of Russell PHs and a pair of Courtneys for Africa. I also brought a pair of Danner's USMC RAT Temperate just in case I needed waterproof boots, but did not need them.

On the trip over I did have the Russell's, underwear, shorts and a shirt in my backpack just in case. Along with my travel clothes (long pants in the link above) worst came to worst I would have been OK.

I have the shorts version of those Orvis cargo pants. They are pricey but well worth it. The pockets are huge! To give you an idea, I could put an iPad mini in them or even pocket carry a full size pistol completely concealed in the front if I really wanted to. And you still would have 13 pockets left. I have two pairs for my trip come April.

Wear what is comfortable in the weather conditions you will hunt.

I like the late season hunts in Zim or Moz. They tend to be hot. Cabelas trail shorts with the short inseam and 100 percent cotton shirts. I think most shorts I have are from Cabelas. At one time Carhart sold a perfect shirt for hunting but I can no longer find it. Under Armor tee shirts. They last and are cooler.

Wool socks. Not cheap wool socks. Smartwool is good.

I walk a lot on my hunts. I also walk a lot before I go to Africa. I will walk at least 100 miles in the boots (along with shellbelt rifle binos etc) I hunt in prior to going, which is not really too much, three to four miles for thirty days. I have never had a blister.

Plus where else can you wear short shorts and not have your masculinity called in to question.

Wow lots of different opinions.
PHSC PH's all were Courtney boots/shoes
when its hot we where shorts (drimac, jeep or woolworths) they all work well
when it cold well we where shorts too(hahah), if its real cold working chinos ( drimac johnson)
We have found that most of the hunts in South Africa it will get warm during the day even in winter.
So we tried using a pair of foul wether gear pull over pants deigns for very cold conditions.
they work like a charm ( bass proshop redhead i think) they just take up a lot of luggage space.
Find out what season your hunting in and move from there
and stevenson hamilton ripstop shirts (where real well )

Good hiking socks work well too and sock protectors ( grass guards or kamasta)

But it is very personal and i suppose as long as you are comfortable and can move quietly and are reasonably concealed ( not neon yellow) it will work just fine.

Shot Shot

Their is almost always daily laundry service so you can easily pack all your clothing in carry on. Plus its best to trust as little luggage to the airlines as possible, luggage loves going missing or delayed. Check with your PH on what the weather is looking like and if their is a lot of ticks and/or tseste flies. If their is a lot of tseste flies you will want long sleeve pants and shirts, plus light gloves, etc. Or if their is a lot of ticks in the area were you will want to wear pants. Then you can take twine and tie the bottoms so the ticks can't crawl up your legs. Also if their is a bunch of ticks check you boots at the end of the day, they like to hitch hike in them. Although many areas you don't have to worry about either. Otherwise shorts and a shirt is the way to go. Don't forget a light jacket as it can get cold at night and in the mornings. Then a hat and a nice pair of boots. Then just a pair of sneakers/leisure shoes and two or so sets of recreational clothes. Pair of jeans and shorts and two t shirts. Two sets of hunting clothes is about all you need.

Yup that looks like it is spot on , must share a story a friend that is a very big hunter went to shoot Marcopolo sheet in Tajikistan he said they were between 4000 and 5000m.
True to airline form they lost his luggage and it was cold.The had a great trip and took some great specimens.

Lesson he passes on is it is amazing how little you actually need to make do.
I know i am a sukker for over packing always making sure that all angles are covered.

But as Bsums said follow up with your PH and take just what is necessary.
I am sure if you are in need of anything the PH will ( we do ) help you find what is necessary but you need to communicate this to him if your not comfortable and they will gladly help out and organise what you need.

Shot Shot

If you are worried about ticks (or even if you aren't worried about ticks) it is a good idea to permethrin treat your clothing. It will tremendously reduce the creepy crawlies.

Got most of my stuff from E-Bay. allready had the broke in look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you