Project Goal: Ruger No1 in 460WBY for Speer AGS Tungsten Solids

Sir, I resemble that remark, thank you.
Yep, some of us are not so prissy about a barrel stamping.
This is my all-time favorite bubba-ed barrel stamp, and the Artiste even signed his name.
But the best part is the "XXX" over the "LOTT":

The 450 NE 3-1/4" Thin Rim reamer cleaned up that .458 Loser chamber slick as greased owl poop.
I'm glad you included a few more pictures of the stamps. It looked like a .450 "WE" at first and I was going to further inquire as to your ballistic experiments. So the "Artiste" "made his mark"? With the XXX over the Lott stamp? :A Voodoo: Or MCGEE is the name of the name dishevelled stamper?
giphy-1349537998.gif

Sir, I resemble that remark, thank you.
Yep, some of us are not so prissy about a barrel stamping.
This is my all-time favorite bubba-ed barrel stamp, and the Artiste even signed his name.
But the best part is the "XXX" over the "LOTT":

View attachment 592213View attachment 592214View attachment 592215View attachment 592216

The 450 NE 3-1/4" Thin Rim reamer cleaned up that .458 Loser chamber slick as greased owl poop.
Mr Crank what do you have so against the 458 Lott?

I'm glad you included a few more pictures of the stamps. It looked like a .450 "WE" at first and I was going to further inquire as to your ballistic experiments. So the "Artiste" "made his mark"? With the XXX over the Lott stamp? :A Voodoo: Or MCGEE is the name of the name dishevelled stamper? View attachment 592264
Great gif above, showing the mature SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum
smacking the immature SAAMI .458 Lott on the back of the head
with some true news, new powders, new bullets and the .458 WM+ capabilities.
In the same rifle action and same higher pressures the SAAMI .458 Lott is the .458 Loser.
The Gunsmith Artiste is not prissy, he is just good, retired mechanical engineer by profession,
Gunsmith by Divine Providence: Rusty McGee.
The XXX marks the Lott as poison or profane, take your pick.

Mr Crank what do you have so against the 458 Lott?
There is a lott to say about the .458 L. It is partly about the handicapped SAAMI version of the .458 L,
but it fundamentally starts with the .450 Watts Magnum. The .450 Watts magnum was a spark in the mind of James Watts starting in 1939. The .450 Watts Magnum was a shooting rifle in 1949 and its valor was stolen by Jack L's eponymous wildcat in 1971.

The first wildcat .458 L was made by running a .450 Watts Magnum reamer with non-cutting belt
into a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chamber.
I no longer recommend cleaning up a SAAMI .458 L Ruger No. 1's chamber with a .450 NE 3-1/4" reamer.
Instead the better way is to use a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum reamer to clean up the shallow throat.
The .458 L is thus transformed into safe handling of .458 WM+ loads that make a .458 L red in the face.

Now the Gunsmith Artiste can XXX over the L-word and mark it ".458 WE" for .458 Watts Express designation.
The prissy might want to send it to the engraver for the lettering of ".458 Watts Express."
Maybe I should invest in some technology to do my own so as not to offend the prissy ?
I would need real training of this old dog to do that new trick.
Laser engraving takes big capital.
I heard about some acid etching technique that any Bubba can do to please the prissy ...

Last edited:
Eacy to see why the hatred. The Lott has killed off almost all of the 375 based 458s and has taken most of the 458wins thunder. There would be no other reason because the Lott does everything it was designed to do. Never heard one word against it. If my 458win won’t do it I get my Lott or 470. No need to jump hoops to make 458win into a Lott or rigby.

I no longer recommend cleaning up a SAAMI .458 L Ruger No. 1's chamber with a .450 NE 3-1/4" reamer.
Instead the better way is to use a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum reamer to clean up the shallow throat.
The .458 L is thus transformed into safe handling of .458 WM+ loads that make a .458 L red in the face.
Uh, I'm a little lost in the Lott, Watts, NE, WM quagmire. How would a 458WM reamer clean up the throat of a 458 Lott, it's over 14" shorter; wouldn't bottom out at the belt?

Rafiki,
No GUFF !!!
Jack L's own drawing admits he was using a .450 Watts Magnum reamer:
2.650" + the 0.220" belt section = 2.870" chamber length meant for 2.850" brass length.

000000000000.jpg

Later drafted, exact copy of same drawing:

00000000-1.png

Severe Lottites refuse to believe that a SAAMI .458 WinMag reamer will clean up the tightie-shortie throat on a SAAMI .458 Lott with no alteration of head-space on belt, no barrel set-back.
It certainly does, no guff.

0000000.jpg

For those who prefer eyeballing reamer steel instead of drawings on paper:
00000.jpg

0000.jpg

Above two reamers are set side by side with the belts exactly abreast, for same distances from breech bolt face in the chambers, visual comparison.

Throat Jump refers to the distance a RIGHT CYLINDER of 0.458" diameter can travel from case mouth of brass at maximum SAAMI length until it contacts rifling at start of 0.458" diameter in the tapering lands.

Tightie-shortie throat like in the SAAMI .458 Lott:
zzz016.png

Versus leade-only throat like on the SAAMI .458 WinMag:

zzz017.png

BEHOLD THE SAAMI .458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM:

458WINspecs.jpg

Last edited:
Eacy to see why the hatred. The Lott has killed off almost all of the 375 based 458s and has taken most of the 458wins thunder. There would be no other reason because the Lott does everything it was designed to do. Never heard one word against it. If my 458win won’t do it I get my Lott or 470. No need to jump hoops to make 458win into a Lott or rigby.
Behold the words of a .458 WinMag denier, Flewis.

My .470 NE DR pales in comparison to the awesome power and flexibility of a bolt action SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.
The only thing the former is better at is lesser elapsed time in getting off the second shot.

Have owned several 458 wins and still have 3.

So what do I need to use to clean up the Lott throat and make it more powerful than the WM without changing the chambering?
I'll not deny that my Lott has a short throat. I've proven it to myself with the dual cannelure Speer bullets.

Put some Dykem in the belt recess of your simple SAAMI .458 L chamber
and run a simple SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum reamer into it without altering the headspacing on the belt: Stop short of removing the Dykem stain in the belt recess.

For the less skilled, it would be best to have a simple SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum reamer made with a non-cutting stop at the belt recess,
like Jack L. had on his .450 Watts Magnum chamber reamer that he used to ream his SAAMI .458 WinMag.

Another easy route is just get a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum neck and throat reamer.
Make up a GO Gage dummy cartridge and ream until that just barely seats in chamber, same as it does at maximum COL for a SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.

You can re-throat a .458 L, or "re-brass" a .458 WinMag like Jack L. did originally.
You can still call it a .458 L if it makes you feel better.
You can call it a ".458 Watts Express" to return the stolen valor to James Watts, father of the .450 Watts Magnum of 1949 (2.850"), .450 Watts Short Magnum of 1954 (2.500"), and hence ".458 Winchester Magnum" of 1956 (2.500") by his request and release to WRAC.

What is not to understand about this ?
It is just the facts. Not opinion.

So what do I need to use to clean up the Lott throat and make it more powerful than the WM without changing the chambering?
I'll not deny that my Lott has a short throat. I've proven it to myself with the dual cannelure Speer bullets.
@Forrest Halley
You better ask Linda Lovelace how to clean up a throat mate.
You may be a bit young to understand, if so Google her .
HA ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blackscreenspace

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!