Awesome bow! I've taken a couple of small mule deer bucks with a primitive bow. I selected the tree cut and dried it and made a all wood primitive bow, pretty fun project.

A room with a view...lol
Inside the natural ground blind waiting with my 'primitive' weapons for nightfall and some moon and hopefully the bushpigs to the left
14141658_286859201676912_5851534552405273068_n.jpg

20160723_160727.jpg

Taking a rest after some walking-and -stalking
RSCN0463.JPG

Walk -and-stalk with a 'primitive' short range Oryx-horn bow....
these were some of my most difficult hunts so far.
[Only the spear-hunting was tougher!]

14089294_283933898636109_1732314264133237546_n.jpg

The bushpigs were so close that I could hear them and smell them in front of me !!
I could even dimly saw movement not very far from me , but its definitely NOT easy hunting with a primitive oryx-horn bow in the near darkness...
These trailcam pictures are much more clear than the real cloudy moonlight alone.
With a shotgun or even handgun I could probably got one, but NOO , I mule-headed insisted to hunt them the primitive way with a bow...
Eish, next year.!!!

14222086_287031321659700_1973050848590237583_n.jpg

Beautiful bow,
you say you are turning into a sissy ,but 65# in a primitive bow isn't easy.
looks like you change broadheads in the bush pig hunting picture, to a cut on contact, good idea.
I would go with a 175 grain or heaver cut on contact broadhead. Forrest

Kathy,yes we later modified the original broad-heads by grinding off the 2 smaller 'blades'.
The reason was that we could not sharpen the 2 bigger cutting edges to a razor sharpness as those 2 smaller blades were in the way and we could not get the desired angle with them there.
For sure the #65 in such a bow is not easy,and I've already send it back for modifications so it could be in the 50-55# range for next year.

That is one of the coolest bows I have ever seen. I have several selfbows made of Bois D' Arc and have killed one deer with a river cane arrow and Obsidian Arrowhead that I made. A two blade cut on impact broad head like Zwickey, ACE, or Magnus will greatly improve penetration. Dale Karch of 3Rivers archery demonstrates this in a youtube video by pushing elk hide down against various broadheads using a scale to measure the resistance it takes to penetrate. A chisel typ point took over 20lbs and barely poked through. The shaft was bending badly. With a 2 blade broad head it took only 2lbs of pressure before it completely cut through the hide. Here is a link to the ACE website. I think that you would be well served by their products. Easy to sharpen and very tough too.
http://www.acearcherytackle.com/Broadheads.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you