Preparing for 1st Safari

I wear my super comfy Georgia Boot Eagle Trail boots on the plane and pack an extra pair of cheap similar hiking style Cabelas boots in checked baggage. Always have extra boots in case one pair needs to dry out or has a blowout.
Ontario, sound advice for any away Hunt - ALWAYS have 2 pair of boots - wear one on the plane and pak one. Your comment “blowout” is possible: I had a great pair of all leather ankle hikes that were light, comfortable, and supportive…only wore them for certain hunts and took great care of them, they looked fairly New after 10 years. On day ONE of a Wyoming hunt, the “Soles fell off”, seems the glue can fail with age even on these decent quality Merrill’s. It was funny walking back to the truck, me cussing and Guide & my Son “laughing”….but fortunately I had packed 2nd pair of boots. I prefer “sewn on soles” to avoid this risk but those are getting Harding to find especially on Light Hikers.

As mentioned earlier, I would consider vaccinations and an expanded first aid kit.

Agree, I got several “recommended vaccinations“ but avoided the Rabies vaccine as that disease is very rare and has a long incubation period if you are exposed. I also got a prescription for strong antibiotics, and Pain Killers (doubt any Dr. would allow that today). But the most useful pill I brought was Imodium — that stuff is not only very handy but you can almost give it away as a “tip”….very prized stuff !

A problem with buying ammo once you land at Joberg is what happens if they don't have what you need?
Safari Outdoors is the name of the shop. They’ve got a website and contact details. Email them in advance and place an order.

Ontario, sound advice for any away Hunt - ALWAYS have 2 pair of boots - wear one on the plane and pak one. Your comment “blowout” is possible: I had a great pair of all leather ankle hikes that were light, comfortable, and supportive…only wore them for certain hunts and took great care of them, they looked fairly New after 10 years. On day ONE of a Wyoming hunt, the “Soles fell off”, seems the glue can fail with age even on these decent quality Merrill’s. It was funny walking back to the truck, me cussing and Guide & my Son “laughing”….but fortunately I had packed 2nd pair of boots. I prefer “sewn on soles” to avoid this risk but those are getting Harding to find especially on Light Hikers.
Oiling boots with glued on soles is dicey. The oil works the glue loose at edge of sole and starts the process of blowout.

Oiling boots with glued on soles is dicey. The oil works the glue loose at edge of sole and starts the process of blowout.
Notation, I’ve never used oil (not since 1960s Neetsfoot oil) but have used a wax “Snowseal” and similar high end products. wipe on, warm & soak in with a ‘Blow dryer” wipe off excess….usually do every couple years. It doesn’t seem to do much but it cleans them off nicely and I don’t believe it harms a glued sole….glued soles just suck and have a lifespan regardless of use. Friend kept a brand new pair in the box for 7 years then finally wore - 1st time out soles came off….these were “Rocky Boots” and this was 10 years ago.

Florescent orange, green, pink, or another real bright color luggage tag works for me.

You also don't need to pack half of your clothes in your carry on. I wear my hunting boots on the plane over, in my carry on I have 1 more change of clothing along with what I NEED encase my other bag doesn't make it. Laundry is done daily so you really only need 2 sets of clothing unless you plan to play tourist after you are done hunting.
I wear one set of hunting clothes on the plane (not camo), a change of clothes in carryon daypack, and another change of clothes + extra boots in checked bag. Only two changes of clothing is risky. Always possible to rip a shirt or blowout the butt of pants. Or maybe get drenched in the morning and need to change into something dry for afternoon hunt. If your only change of clothes is in the laundry, you're out of luck.

Notation, I’ve never used oil (not since 1960s Neetsfoot oil) but have used a wax “Snowseal” and similar high end products. wipe on, warm & soak in with a ‘Blow dryer” wipe off excess….usually do every couple years. It doesn’t seem to do much but it cleans them off nicely and I don’t believe it harms a glued sole….glued soles just suck and have a lifespan regardless of use. Friend kept a brand new pair in the box for 7 years then finally wore - 1st time out soles came off….these were “Rocky Boots” and this was 10 years ago.
I had a new pair of Rocky Boots both blowout in just three days hunting. They are crap.

I had a new pair of Rocky Boots both blowout in just three days hunting. They are crap.
I’ve owned 3 pairs and All were extremely comfortable, light, and fit my wide EE size 13 feet. None failed me - but that one pair failed my friend. The glued soles that fell of of mine were Merril and they are a respected brand, Not cheap. I’ve lost trust in any Glued sole and would not trust them on an away hunt if more then a few years old

I wear one set of hunting clothes on the plane (not camo), a change of clothes in carryon daypack, and another change of clothes + extra boots in checked bag. Only two changes of clothing is risky. Always possible to rip a shirt or blowout the butt of pants. Or maybe get drenched in the morning and need to change into something dry for afternoon hunt. If your only change of clothes is in the laundry, you're out of luck.
But just how often do you loose your checked bag with the rest of your hunting clothing. If you have just one change of clothes you can at least hunt a couple of days while your check bag catches up with you. And I am sure that if you destroy a shirt or a pair of pant there will be something that you can bum from the PH or others in camp.

This isn't like a safari in the early 1900's where you are miles away from anything.

But just how often do you loose your checked bag with the rest of your hunting clothing. If you have just one change of clothes you can at least hunt a couple of days while your check bag catches up with you. And I am sure that if you destroy a shirt or a pair of pant there will be something that you can bum from the PH or others in camp.

This isn't like a safari in the early 1900's where you are miles away from anything.
JimP: I want to have access to my own clothes and do Not want to ask to borrow my PH’s underwear…that could get the hunt off to an “uncomfortable” start.

JimP: I want to have access to my own clothes and do Not want to ask to borrow my PH’s underwear…that could get the hunt off to an “uncomfortable” start.
I was just saying, the odd of not getting your checked bag in a day or so is very remote in today's world.
If you are afraid of that then pack two changes of clothing in your carry on. That way you'll have 3 sets of clothes and you can always throw in a extra couple pairs of shorts if you are afraid that you might have a blowout somewhere along the way. Or just go commando for a day.

One change is in my carryon in case checked bag is delayed or lost. What else would you put in a checked bag besides clothes, ammo, extra boots, and a bunch of small stuff? Here's what I take with me.
Africa Trip List 2023-page-001.jpg

And it all fits in here. The red bag is checked. Computer bag and camo daypack are carryon. Ammo case is put inside red bag after inspection (except in Joberg where it must be checked separately. The red bag has shoulder pack straps that zip inside.
16830563278891910742398558418242.jpg

Last edited:
I was just saying, the odd of not getting your checked bag in a day or so is very remote in today's world.
If you are afraid of that then pack two changes of clothing in your carry on. That way you'll have 3 sets of clothes and you can always throw in a extra couple pairs of shorts if you are afraid that you might have a blowout somewhere along the way. Or just go commando for a day.
I do have three sets of clothes: one I'm wearing, one in my daypack carryon, and one in checked baggage.

I am also sure that there are stores in the area if your bag comes up missing where you can purchase some clothing.

As I said, this isn't the early 1900's. If there is a airport there will be stores. The clothing choices might not be just what you want but you can find something to wear in them.

I’ve hunted two areas in the Limpopo, one was flat and rocky and the other was hilly and rocky, so it depends on where you’re going to be hunting and the animals on your trophy list.
I wear clothes and footwear that I can hunt in and in my carry on I have my binoculars and any medicine I need I always have extra skivvies and socks and maybe some long pants just in case it’s cold. Everything else goes in my checked bag. If my checked bag goes awol I can usually borrow from the PH but you being 6’6” that may not be an option. Take sunscreen as well.
I’ve done the cheaper flights with connections and layovers, I will never do them again, 30 hours of travel sucks compared to an hour flight to Atlanta and catch a bird to Johannesburg and be eating a steak at Afton 18 hours later with the 16 hour flight and an hour or two clearing customs and rifles. I leave from Pensacola where would leave from Panama City?

Attachments

• The medicines that could get you jailed on foreign holidays – and the countries where tourists...pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
Be careful when traveling, some of them are regulated drugs!
Only the first result from Google -
The medicines that could get you jailed on foreign holidays

The main thing here is to make sure that you have a prescription for the regulated drugs that you take. Do not place them into a unmarked bottle or change bottles. If you look at most prescription drugs you will notice on the prescription that the color of the pill is indicated, so don't mix white pills with yellow pills.

May have missed it in previous posts but IMHO, buy travel/medical/ evacuation insurance. Global Rescue, Ripcord, AIG, etc. sell different products. Some cover everything, others specific items. Check with your travel agent.

JAGER_Ivo: ”possibly” but that is the least of my worries when traveling to Africa
@spike.t can clarify this but I think I saw it written on an official state website that simple anti histamine tablets can land you in hot water in Zambia. I don’t remember if it was a state department or may have been the CDC website. This may be out of date though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdolphAbne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.