Powder Shortage

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Joined
Apr 30, 2020
Messages
664
Reaction score
811
Location
Virginia USA
Media
28
I emailed Aliant over my struggle to find Reloader 17. Just got this reply.

Screenshot_20250311_154012_Gmail.jpg
 
I feel your pain, my go to powder is RL22.... The last time I saw it available was 2020 and I bought 10lbs, which was the maximum allowed by powder valley.

Since then I have been saving the RL22 and going through all the random powders I have and using them up for practice.
 
Right now Alliant Powders is owned by Vista Outdoor Media who is a major manufacture of powders for military ammo. As long as the wars are going on they will be putting all of their manufacture into military ammo and not the civilian market.
 
Last time I looked at it, only a few "Alliant powders" were actually made by Alliant. Most are manufactured by European companies, shipped to the US and rebadged by Alliant.
 
Right now Alliant Powders is owned by Vista Outdoor Media who is a major manufacture of powders for military ammo. As long as the wars are going on they will be putting all of their manufacture into military ammo and not the civilian market.
Correct, their making money hand over fist and can't be bothered with reloading powder which is lowest on the totem pole of contract priority.

1. Military
2. Commercial
3. Civilian

Last time I looked at it, only a few "Alliant powders" were actually made by Alliant. Most are manufactured by European companies, shipped to the US and rebadged by Alliant.

I believe that's correct and all the EU countries let their ammo supplies get laughably low and between the conflicts, replacing all the ammo the EU ignored for decades and finally replenishing the stockpiles after conflict..... Yeah it's going to be a while!
 
Correct, their making money hand over fist and can't be bothered with reloading powder which is lowest on the totem pole of contract priority.

1. Military
2. Commercial
3. Civilian



I believe that's correct and all the EU countries let their ammo supplies get laughably low and between the conflicts, replacing all the ammo the EU ignored for decades and finally replenishing the stockpiles after conflict..... Yeah it's going to be a while!
I specifically asked about Ukraine causing is troubles, and they avoided that question all together.
 
Does anyone know for sure if ADI powder is the same as Hodgen? I’ve seen a equivalency chart floating around online.
 
i,m a old pack rat who could never turn down a decent price on powder and have close to 90 lbs right now stored in old army steel lockers, last week at a small local gun show i bough four unopened 1 lbs cans of norma magnum rifle powder for 50.00 with a unopened1 lbs can of norma 205 powder thrown in the deal. looking tru a older reloading manual i found i will be able to use it in several of my large bore rifles.
 
Winchester took over the lake city plant in 20 or 21 I think. Vista used to operate it if I’m correct. I would think that would have cut back on their demand.
I’m sure they supply other plants and military’s as well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,824
Members
170,393
Latest member
MartiMcRey
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top