Possible Safari Delay Questions

Konrad.inc

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, RSA
My dad, wife and myself have a plains game safari trip booked for May 3rd through the 20th. As I’m sure you are all aware, this may or may not happen due to Covid-19. If it doesn’t happen, our guide service has offered some other dates this year as well as the option to delay till next year. I’m wondering what the weather and small critters (snakes and bugs) are like if we delay our trip to September or October of this year? Are the bugs and snakes going to be worse, if so how much?

As far as weather, I know it will be warmer for sure but is it going to be hot AND humid like what we have in the SE part of the US? I take several work trips a year to the SE part of the US (Alabama, Georgia and Arkansas), they always seem to end up being in June-September and the weather is terrible (read hot and humid) compared to home (Oregon). We will be hunting the Free State and the Limpopo if that helps the question.?

I guess the last question is, does anyone see a downside to going plains game hunting in September or October compared to May of next year if need be?

Thanks for any advice.

I guess the last question is, does anyone see a downside to going plains game hunting in September or October compared to May of next year if need be?

I am in similar situation.
My advise is: keep in contact with your outfitter. And follow this situation. The safest bet is not before 2021.

I have hunted in Africa in September and it wasn't bad, but this was in Zimbabwe. Nights would get to 40s though. Personally if I had to choose between this year and next year I'd choose next year. Wait for the craziness to pass.

I have a hunt scheduled in August, but I doubt that it is going to happen.

This year is a write off. Go for next year.

Next year!

I do not see anything wrong with going in September. It will be a bit warmer but won’t be a problem and the hunting may be better.
You see the problem with continually putting off something like a safari is the chance that it may never happen. Life changes, things happen, and some dreams never come true. Talk to your outfitter, Make your plans, and GO!
Philip

That's when I rescheduled so I think it's possible. But I haven't got plane tickets yet so not definite.

It will be mid spring down there at that time. According to Accuweather it was in the upper 70s to upper 80s F during the day and 50s to low 60s at night for the Limpopo at the beginning of October last year. Limpopo is relatively dry, so southern Arizona in April for US comparison. I grew up in Tucson AZ, so I can relate. Rain is possible, but it's not Southeast US humid.

Hi @Konrad.inc ,

I would certainly not write off the 2020 African hunting season yet. A lot can happen between now and then. As others have already correctly advised, hunting most South African provinces in September will be very similar weather-wise to May. I have hunted both in May and September and both months offer mild weather, no bugs, and great hunting. In fact, as a bow hunter, September is my favorite month to hunt RSA.

I would also consider the first two weeks of October depending on the province. Later in October the humidity and the chance of rain increases as the rainy season begins, but even then, you rarely see enough rain to ruin a safari. Bow hunting at the water sources will get tougher, but spot & stalking with a rifle or bow hunting will remain excellent.

We’re definitely not giving up on 2020 yet, in fact we are waiting to make any changes until after April 19th, so we can see if the lockdown in SA will continue or not. I still have hopes that we can go on original dates in May.

I appreciate all your feed back, especially those who gave detail on seasons. I looked at several weather sources for information on temp/humidity and such. But nothing beats info from people who have actually been there at those times.

Please keep the info coming.

I have hunted both the Free State and Limpopo in September. It was a good time to hunt IMHO, weather should be mild. I cannot say for October, but many areas in the Free State and Limpopo have fairly high elevation compared to the areas named in another post in the SE US.
One thing to consider, at least for this year, is normally by that time of year most of the farms in RSA have been shot over by September/October. This year there will have been few hunters on any of those properties, so your chances of securing some good animals should be higher. That would also apply I assume to any of the hunting areas in Africa.
I am considering booking a hunt for September myself, however there is far to much uncertainty to commit to anything at this time. My advice to the OP would be to stay in contact with the outfitter and if September/October can be worked out GO, but be ready to roll your dates to 2021, as that is the most likely scenario.

In 2017 hunted Limpopo and the Free State the first 10 days of September. Was warmer than I liked but it worked out. Highes in the low 80’s and us fat guys prefer cooler.

I have taken four hunts in September, one of them running into early October, warm but not really hot.

As to possible delay, I also have plans for September , but who knows how hard Africa is going to be hit with Covid19 ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg