Politics

@sgt_zim Adding to your post. After WW2, there were cheap VA and FHA mortgages, veterans pensions, along with the GI bill which allowed the middle class to flourish. My father, a disabled WW2 vet, paid the mortgage with his monthly pension check. Fast forward three decades, rebuilt economies in Europe and Japan spelled the end of U.S.'s monopolies. Put the Far East and now China in the mix and it's game over for the middle class in this country.. The general public just doesn't know it yet because government debt is still just a number. At some point, that chicken will come home to roost.
Color me very optimistic that we *can* recover and grow our middle class, and pessimistic about politicians letting go of their power and letting us do what free people would do.

8B00EB81-D606-4ED5-9749-C263CC42BEC9.png

@sgt_zim Adding to your post. After WW2, there were cheap VA and FHA mortgages, veterans pensions, along with the GI bill which allowed the middle class to flourish. My father, a disabled WW2 vet, paid the mortgage with his monthly pension check. Fast forward three decades, rebuilt economies in Europe and Japan spelled the end of U.S.'s monopolies. Put the Far East and now China in the mix and it's game over for the middle class in this country.. The general public just doesn't know it yet because government debt is still just a number. At some point, that chicken will come home to roost.
Their generation and even ours through the '80s had defined benefit retirement plans for almost EVERY civilian occupation through their employers. They didn't have to take a large chunk of their salaries to put into a 401K. When Reagan was president, the average CEO of a company made 10 times what their average salaried employee made. The last I heard it was 300 times what their employees made, and that was years ago. Now, much of that disparity is because CEOs take stock options and other compensation instead of a salary in today's world. But, look at the explosion of billionare CEOs now compared to the '80s and '90s, even when factoring in inflation. Factoring in inflation, many/most employees have not gained much, if any, more buying power than they had years ago. Our traditionally defined middle class IS disappearing and your right about our massive debt. It will eventually CRUSH our future generations that will make the Great Depression of the '30s feel like a vacation. It's coming unless we reign in our unsustainable spending of monopoly money.

Seems to me that the ”need” for 2 incomes is partially self-inflicted for many of us. Our expectations as consumers have grown exponentially over the last 65 years. Some examples:

We’ve bought into the belief that everyone should go to college. So before lots of people turn a productive screw in life, they blow $100k or more on college. For too many, it’s a bad investment no matter who pays for it.

When you first got married, how many of you even dreamed that you’d spend 20 grand (or a whole lot more) to marry off one of your kids?

My mom and dad had one car that satisfied all of our transportation needs for years before we got a 2nd car. My neighborhood resembles a used car lot. Every driving-age member of the family has one. Yes, I’m part of the problem here.

Kids on my street participate in “select” sports teams that cost their parents thousands of dollars a year. Traveling outside the state is common, and expensive. Plus, their kids are generally awful at sports. Same thing for dance lessons, riding lessons, etc.

My wife had a great job as a systems analyst when we had our first child. We agonized over the decision but ultimately decided that she would quit to stay home until the kids were in all day school. Then she took a MUCH lower paying, part time job so she could drop them at school and pick them up at the end of their school day. Sacrificing 50% of our income was not something we did without big adjustments in our standard of living….but totally worth it.

It’s hard to argue this way while planning a 5th trip to Africa, but I guess the point I’m making is that no one is forcing us to live the way we do. We don’t have to buy into everything our consumeristic society says we “need,”
You hit the nail on the head. How many of us are raising two kids in a 800sqft two bedroom one bath house, let alone six kids like my grandparents did. I don’t think my fathers childhood home had running water until he left in ‘68.

A colleague of mine retired from a Ford engine plant where he was an electrician 12 years ago or so. He said he bought his first house for $48000, while making $12/hour, or roughly 2x annual salary.

I bought my first house in 2008, a 1040sqft three bedroom one bath from ‘73 for 330,000 before the crash. I was making around $150k/year, so not too far off from 2x annual again.

100% the price of staples have risen, but middle class today would look like royalty to anyone two generations ago. Vacation homes, dining out, full walk in closets, Rigbys, Leicas, house cleaners, and the list goes on.

Moral of the story, life is expensive these days, but we are living pretty fucking amazing lives!

our massive debt. It will eventually CRUSH our future generations It's coming unless we reign in our unsustainable spending of monopoly money.
The car has already gone over the cliff. It's just a matter of how much freefall there is before it hits. 20 Trillion dollars is about $67,000 per person in the US. Just write a check for your portion.

The car has already gone over the cliff. It's just a matter of how much freefall there is before it hits. 20 Trillion dollars is about $67,000 per person in the US. Just write a check for your portion.
You‘re right about the crushing debt load we’ve taken on…..but that’s just the principle! Let interest rates hit double digits and watch our debt skyrocket. it has happened before in most of our lifetimes. It’s going to happen again.

Well, it's now 30 TRILLION and counting! 20 TRILLION was a bargain. LOL

You‘re right about the crushing debt load we’ve taken on…..but that’s just the principle! Let interest rates hit double digits and watch our debt skyrocket. it has happened before in most of our lifetimes. It’s going to happen again.
China holds and services the second most amount of our debt, behind Japan. They both make a lot of money servicing our debt. If China were to ever use this as a "weapon" and stop taking on our debt, we would be COMPLETELY SCREWED! That's where the greatest US Depression in history would come from. Our politicians are leading us down the road to ruin and not many people can see it or if they do, they don't care as the party continues with the band playing "Highway to Hell". That light at the end of the tunnel isn't a flashlight. It's a Chinese train bearing down on our massive debt.

This is a monumental mistake. No sane administration with an actual President in charge would do something so obviously detrimental to the cohesiveness of the country. But because our Chief Executive is a senile figurehead, true believers are running amok.

Agree, but do enough care to do anything about it is the question ?

40% of the country will be supportive of this just because the raid was on Trump. So they only have to fool 10%.... That's pretty good odds for those running amok.

Scary times....

We have reached a new level of low.

Should Trump get reelected, the DOJ and FBI will be completely gutted.
The obvious idea behind this is to ensure that Trump cannot be elected ever again to anything.
Even Jonathan Turley was perplexed by this.
This is a monumental mistake. No sane administration with an actual President in charge would do something so obviously detrimental to the cohesiveness of the country. But because our Chief Executive is a senile figurehead, true believers are running amok.
Right on all counts!

The obvious idea behind this is to ensure that Trump cannot be elected ever again to anything.
Even Jonathan Turley was perplexed by this.

Right on all counts!

Not sure how absentee voting or drop boxes goes in two years but absence of election malfeasance, this may have just put Trump well over the top.

If DOJ has gone this far then there is a good chance that they bring charges against Trump in DC Federal Court. A criminal charge against Trump will almost be guaranteed by a DC jury. My guess is Emmitt Sullivan will be the Judge should an indictment happen.

This is bullsh*t and flat out criminal. The left is out of control.

1660005691174.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois