Politics

Leaving Trump out of it, did anyone not know that overdosing on Tylenol will kill you? That has been since long before Trump ever ran for political office. This may be Darwinism at work. Or God's way of weeding out the stupid?
Yep. For at least the last 30-40 years, I too thought it was common knowledge that there was a proven connection between Tylenol and liver damage. When you look at your hospital bill and see that a single Tylenol tablet costs $40, who doesn’t think big pharma will do practically anything to protect that market? I thought the stories about $40 Tylenol tablets were some kind of conspiracy theory until I saw it on my bill a few years ago. And yes, Darwin does work, but sometimes it takes time. During that time lag, a wake of damaged innocent lives can be left along the way. :(
 
Yep. For at least the last 30-40 years, I too thought it was common knowledge that there was a proven connection between Tylenol and liver damage. When you look at your hospital bill and see that a single Tylenol tablet costs $40, who doesn’t think big pharma will do practically anything to protect that market? I thought the stories about $40 Tylenol tablets were some kind of conspiracy theory until I saw it on my bill a few years ago. And yes, Darwin does work, but sometimes it takes time. During that time lag, a wake of damaged innocent lives can be left along the way. :(
It’ll cost you $40 to get an advil or an aspirin too…

$100+ for a pillow..

They literally factor in the wages of everyone from the doctor that prescribes it, the pharmacist that fills it, the RN that delivers it to your floor and the BSN that hands it to you in the pill cup and tells you to take it…

The tablet is just $1… it’s all the wages, liability insurance, and other bullshit associated with the tablet that costs so much…
 
In many public schools, Tylenol is specifically listed in the medicine cabinet as the only OTC drug available for minor aches and pains, with the stipulation that parents must sign a permission waiver before being available through the nurse’s office.

I’ll guarantee that if Trump or RFK Jr republished the extensive list of studies showing cause and effect of fetal alcohol syndrome, there would be social media posts similar to the recent Tylenol insanity, with young, pregnant women showing themselves drunk and slugging down booze. TDS is a mental disorder. The inability to self diagnose is a primary symptom. A $40 Tylenol tablet or aspirin or advil or (fill in the blank) temporary, inexpensive OTC symptom medication distributed through a hospital shows the depth and pervasive nature of the health-industrial complex. Many of these are pennies apiece- not even close to a dollar apiece! 100 count Walmart 500 mg acetaminophen is $2. Do the math. The medical fraternity can try to hide behind whatever they like to justify a simple rip off.
 
Yep. For at least the last 30-40 years, I too thought it was common knowledge that there was a proven connection between Tylenol and liver damage. When you look at your hospital bill and see that a single Tylenol tablet costs $40, who doesn’t think big pharma will do practically anything to protect that market? I thought the stories about $40 Tylenol tablets were some kind of conspiracy theory until I saw it on my bill a few years ago. And yes, Darwin does work, but sometimes it takes time. During that time lag, a wake of damaged innocent lives can be left along the way. :(
What makes you think that "big pharma" gets any part of that $40? The hospital buys meds from the manufacturers (cheap) then resells them to the patient. Anything you have to pay for at a hospital is drastically marked up over what they paid for item.
 
Yes, but the article claimed the victim was on a ventilator, which takes 5 days or so.
If they don't get the Mucomyst on board within about 8 hours, it ain't very efficacious, and not much they can do but watch their condition deteriorate.

I've given it a couple times, stuff smells like total ass. Right up there with c-diff and occult stool. Similar chemicals in it as mercaptan, one of the things that makes skunks smell so bad.
 
Last edited:
Exactly why the American healthcare Mafia is such a rip off.
I sort of agree, but... Hospitals cost a lot to operate 24/7. Doctors and nurses get paid a lot of money, and they should. I do not want someone who could be working at Wal-Mart figuring out how to treat a serious illness or injury. During my life I lost several fingers in a major accident, 2 years ago I had a heart attack, and last year I had a serious incident with dehydration that required a 45 mile ambulance ride to the nearest hospital. Having hospitals with well trained staff available at any time of the day or night, especially for those of us that spend time in remote areas, is really important. Somehow these things have to be paid for.
 
If they don't get the Mucomyst on board within about 8 hours, it ain't very efficacious, and not much they can do but watch their condition deteriorate.

I've given it a couple times, stuff smells like total ass. Right up there with c-diff and occult stool. Similar chemicals in it as mercaptan, one of the things that makes skunks smell so bad.
You are quite right, but think about when the ventilator is needed in the process.

Tylenol poisoning causes liver failure. The liver failure would have to be so bad as to require a ventilator to continue breathing before you would consider using one right? To be fair there are other more intrusive methods to treat liver failure (transplant or partial transplant) after the eight hours but that is really neither here nor there.

The simple fact is the timing makes the already bizarre claim just about impossible to have occurred the way it was described.
 
1759109750024.jpg
 
In many public schools, Tylenol is specifically listed in the medicine cabinet as the only OTC drug available for minor aches and pains, with the stipulation that parents must sign a permission waiver before being available through the nurse’s office.

I’ll guarantee that if Trump or RFK Jr republished the extensive list of studies showing cause and effect of fetal alcohol syndrome, there would be social media posts similar to the recent Tylenol insanity, with young, pregnant women showing themselves drunk and slugging down booze. TDS is a mental disorder. The inability to self diagnose is a primary symptom. A $40 Tylenol tablet or aspirin or advil or (fill in the blank) temporary, inexpensive OTC symptom medication distributed through a hospital shows the depth and pervasive nature of the health-industrial complex. Many of these are pennies apiece- not even close to a dollar apiece! 100 count Walmart 500 mg acetaminophen is $2. Do the math. The medical fraternity can try to hide behind whatever they like to justify a simple rip off.
It should not be such a rip off....having said that, I know a man who had to have a heart condition attended to in a Russian hospital twenty years ago. He said he begged God to let him get stabilized enough to get home to an American hospital.
 
Remember our cost of health care pays for the research that went into developing the treatments and seed money for research on future treatments. What we pay actually subsidizes the rest of the world because they benefit off of the treatments developed here.

Not saying other countries don’t also develop treatments but we do a lot of it.
 
I’m a free market true believer. But I must say that medical costs have skyrocketed largely because of competition. How can this be? Every hospital in a market is compelled to stay on the leading edge of every new technology, even though the market they serve only needs a limited number of the new gizmos. The hospital system my wife works for is investing tens of millions in new robotic surgical systems, even though the market is already saturated. Why? The new docs graduating medical school were trained to use these machines. They won’t use a hospital that doesn’t have them. So the cost of these underutilized robots gets added to everyone’s bill. Welcome the $55 Tylenol pill!
 
I’m a free market true believer. But I must say that medical costs have skyrocketed largely because of competition. How can this be? Every hospital in a market is compelled to stay on the leading edge of every new technology, even though the market they serve only needs a limited number of the new gizmos. The hospital system my wife works for is investing tens of millions in new robotic surgical systems, even though the market is already saturated. Why? The new docs graduating medical school were trained to use these machines. They won’t use a hospital that doesn’t have them. So the cost of these underutilized robots gets added to everyone’s bill. Welcome the $55 Tylenol pill!
Except that Tylenol may have 10 or more different prices on the hospital's Chargemaster. Depends on who is the payor as to the cost of that Tylenol.
 
I’m a free market true believer. But I must say that medical costs have skyrocketed largely because of competition. How can this be? Every hospital in a market is compelled to stay on the leading edge of every new technology, even though the market they serve only needs a limited number of the new gizmos. The hospital system my wife works for is investing tens of millions in new robotic surgical systems, even though the market is already saturated. Why? The new docs graduating medical school were trained to use these machines. They won’t use a hospital that doesn’t have them. So the cost of these underutilized robots gets added to everyone’s bill. Welcome the $55 Tylenol pill!
The cost of medicine has gone up for the same reason the cost of college has gone up.

People felt the cost was too high. So the govt decided to do something. They didn’t do anything to control cost they just made it so more people could pay. They pumped money into the system. Of money is available the market will accept it. There is no incentive ti control cost because most consumers don’t feel the cost.

I have decent but not the best health insurance. I pay a fair amount every month with my employer paying even more. When I get an actual treatment it costs me very little o don’t feel the $55 Tylenol even though I see it on my bill. The cost out of pocket doesn’t reflect it.

And I have no choice. All the facilities charge basically the same to me no matter where I go.
 
At least it was feasible that the Tylenol was given to the patient. When my dad had an angioplasty, his bill included a number of expensive tampons. The hospital seriously tried to justify them. Any system that produces such an outcome needs to be rethought.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,254
Messages
1,570,750
Members
169,145
Latest member
uneminceo1985
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top