Politics

Along the lines of your post, if I ever go to Canada, if will be to hunt or to visit people I know there. Their government's actions, good or bad will have no bearing whether I ever go to visit. Same with other countries, unless they plainly forbid my entry.

I agree 100%. I don't mix up politicians with the populous. I know a lot of Canadians, been there a lot, have Canadian relatives. Buddies played jr. hockey there. There's this massive inferiority complex in a small % of Canadians where they have to bash the USA. This has been going on a for a long long time and I'm sick of it. If you want to say these type of things, no problem, that is your right imo. It's my right to make you stand behind your comments. Go look at Canada's trade with the USA? It's the main reason they exist. I think a bit of humility once in while would be welcomed.

So after pages and pages of "discussion" which was almost exclusively rants by Republican Americans speaking to each other and even congratulating each other about the wonderful discussion they were having, nobody listened to any of the points being made by the few dissenting voices from non- Americans. So typically arrogant..

Ad hominem attacks tend to make the writer feel superior. The reader understands them for what they are, and in turn tends to discount all the writer says.

Trump did use the completely unjustifiable excuse of "National Security" to push his economic agenda and impose steel and aluminum tariffs on allies. An illegal move supported by his flock of power hungry supporters in the Republican party. .

Many American Senators and Congressmen are beholden to the US Chamber of Commerce and Tom Donohoe. The agenda of the USCC is at odds with Trump's agenda of helping the working man and MAGA. ie: If US corporations can make a product, at a labor rate of $2/day in Vietnam instead of $15/hr in Akron, they will do it. The USCC supports those corporations and lobbies congress to the tune of tens of millions of dollars per year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Chamber_of_Commerce

Trump can not create legislation without Congress. Congress is paid off by the lobbyist. So, Trump used a legal way by declaring "National Security" to impose the steel and aluminum tariffs. The problem for America is that there is not much of a steel or aluminum industry left with the dumping that China has done, so, it is arguably a "National Security" issue. The problem for Canada is that they too have lost their steel and aluminum industry. Canada, instead of making their own steel and aluminum, as NAFTA was intended, became a conduit for dumping those metals into America with out any corresponding tariffs against China.

The final part of your sentence falls back to ad hominem, yet I am listening and responding despite the comment that nobody is listening.

Trump insulted every G7 nation and has attacked each G7 leader personally. He singled out Canadas prime minster for his most poisonous insults. .

Is this Trump attacking the G7 leaders you are talking about? Perhaps I am confused and don't understand how to read body language. As I recall, Abe and Berusconi are the only two that seemed neutral.

trump_merkel.jpg

You mention that Trump saved his most poisonous comments for Trudeau. It is interesting that Trudeau acted like all was okay at the G7 and Trump even conceded the sunset provisions, then when Trump was airborne, Trudeau had a change of heart and announced retaliatory tariffs, not even having the fortitude to address Trump personally. It was then that Trump withdrew the sunset provisions and made the following tweets.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justin-trudeau-trump-trade-fight-g7-today-2018-06-09/

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

Based on Justin’s false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!

6:03 PM - Jun 9, 2018

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!

His America First policy has already resulted in an effective transition to America Alone. Who in their right mind would trust Trump to follow the rules when doing business with his government?

Trump is an American President. If not an America First policy, who should he put first?

Canada has an effective MFN 17% higher tariff rate on American goods going into Canada than America has on Canadian goods coming into America. (WTO numbers which I have supplied in an earlier post) Many might say that Canada has been taking advantage of America for decades, thus leading to the $18 billion surplus Canada has had with America. If Canada truly wanted to be a good neighbor and be fair, why would they continue to take advantage of this discrepancy for years?

Most American's don't fault Canada. Canadian leaders have been doing what was best for their country for decades. It has been the American leaders who have allowed this to happen. Trump has said enough. It is understandable if many Canadians do not like Trump for taking care of American's first.

I admire the American people as individuals, but Trump's government is destroying Americas former place in the world. I find it puzzling that that seems to be OK with his supporters. .

Or could it be that America and American's have been betrayed by previous leaders. Could it be that Trump is really doing things to "Make America Great Again". In the end, is Trump helping the average American. Possibly that is the reason Trump continues to gain support.

Is Time Magazine's Person of the Year, Merkel, the leader you want Trump to be? A leader who is loosing her own party and scrambling to stay in power with ever weaker coalitions. A globalist leader who has imported 1,000,000 people who do not want to assimilate, work, or learn the language and are a leach to the welfare system of Germany.

Or perhaps you want Trump to be more like Trudeau. How is GDP? How is FOREX? How is the unemployment rate? ......

canada-gdp-growth.png

I admire the American people as individuals,........... I for one will not be buying American, or travelling there, any time soon.

Thank you. We admire Canadian's also!

Where we differ is that I have no problem traveling to Canada or spending my money on Canadian products. We love your country! In fact, my wife and I enjoyed time in Nova Scotia, P.E.I., and Quebec last month. Newfoundland is the only province I have not had the opportunity to visit. Northwest Territory and Nunavut are the two territories still on my list to make it to. Hopefully I will accomplish this one day. Possibly in conjunction with a hunt ;)

All the best.

Attachments

• trump_merkel.jpg
    trump_merkel.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 65
  • canada-gdp-growth.png
    canada-gdp-growth.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was fun, how bout we all go get a beer and tell hunting lies now?

4e8e4b69e4ddbd24936ce4e220b0711b.gif

Attachments

• 4e8e4b69e4ddbd24936ce4e220b0711b.gif
    4e8e4b69e4ddbd24936ce4e220b0711b.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: WAB
Hey, there is more than one guy.
Of course, what can you say when you're the best. Effectiveness is the key.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 13.02.05.png

I guess this guy just got tired of people taking chip shots at the record and decided to just sort it all out. :ROFLMAO:

By the way, don't take life so seriously.

Last edited:
Hey, there is more than one guy.
Of course, what can you say when you're the best. Effectiveness is the key.

View attachment 253241

I guess this guy just got tired of people taking chip shots at the record and decided to just sort it all out. :ROFLMAO:

By the way, don't take life so seriously.

Hey, used a MacMillan rifle, made in the USA! You're welcome for the rifle, we are generous people! You probably won't have anymore since Longtalker is boycotting the USA and it's world's best goods. Oh wlell, there's always black powder. But, to be fair, you guys had a great tank in WWII.

I'm sure at the end of the day if we were all sitting in a gin mill not knowing each other and someone brought up hunting in Africa, it'd be libations all around and politics would never enter the conversation. Cheers!

Hey, used a MacMillan rifle, made in the USA! You're welcome for the rifle, we are generous people! You probably won't have anymore since Longtalker is boycotting the USA and it's world's best goods. Oh wlell, there's always black powder. But, to be fair, you guys had a great tank in WWII.

Let me know when he's in charge and we'll schedule and Indian wrestling match with the king of tweets and settle the worlds problems. :ROFLMAO:

Oh ya, who is the twit who scheduled your mid term elections during hunting season. Dumb ass.

Well as a Canadian/American living in Alabama, all I can say is "How ya'll doing eh?"

Oh ya, who is the twit who scheduled your mid term elections during hunting season. Dumb ass.

It's why we have absentee voting. Duh.... :D

Alas, it was first set and administered by Congress and James K. Polk. And Yes, he was a Democrat:(

So what country is the President of the US supposed to put first? I think the "World" is mad cause the US no longer has squishy pushover Presidents. We actually have a President looking out for American's interest.....

So what country is the President of the US supposed to put first? I think the "World" is mad cause the US no longer has squishy pushover Presidents. We actually have a President looking out for American's interest.....

:S Agree:

The last President, pink pussy hat wearing Obama, went on an 8 year apology tour, to the rest of the world.

Hopefully, Trump will kick the Saudis in the teeth for assassinating that journalist.

I think anyone who expects the leader of a country to act other than in the best interests of the country that elected him or her is being more than a little naive. As a Canadian (whose wife and children are Americans), I have no problem with President Trump acting in the best interest of the US. I only wish our Prime Minister did the same.

Let's talk about the steel tariffs for a minute. I believe that Canadians and others, either intentionally or through ignorance, have taken the "national security" justification given by President Trump for the imposition of tariffs the wrong way. The power to impose tariffs for national security reasons is not there to protect the US from countries which are threats to its national security. So those who argue that Canada is no threat to the US, while correct, are mis-stating the argument. The national security interest in issue is the interest the US has in maintaining a strong steel industry of its own for national security reasons. So even if countries which are allies of the US are shipping steel in a way which puts in jeopardy the sustainability of an industry which is vital to US national security, the President has not only the right but I'd argue the obligation to step in to protect that industry. I'm not even sure the distinction is subtle, so those who get it wrong must not be making a big effort to get it right.

But let me give you an example of the problem many non-Americans are reacting to. Because all of my children now live in the US and we have a summer place there (and I used to work for a US company), I often visit the US. I expect the US Customs and Border Protection officers to do their jobs, and to protect America's borders and enforce American laws. That's what they're hired to do, and what they're sworn to do. I respect them, their job, and the laws of the countries I visit. My experiences in dealing with these officers however is often unpleasant, and for no good reason that I can tell. Once, when my wife and I and our three (then young) children were going to visit Disney World, I was asked for the purpose of my visit. I began to say "we are going to Disney World" when the officer stopped me and said "Not them - they have a right to come to the US - why are you coming to the US?" in about as sarcastic a tone as possible. I replied that I was the Canadian financing the trip by these four American to Disney World - which was snarky, I admit, but to embarrass me in front of my young children? For what purpose? On another occasion, my twelve year old was playing a handheld video game in the (long) line as we were waiting to go through customs. A very imposing officer came over and began to yell at him, asking him if he was unable to read the signs ("No Cell Phones"), and was he looking to get arrested. The entire place was staring at us. My son was going to say that he wasn't using a cell phone, but I stopped him, and apologized to the officer, and told the boy to be quiet and put it away. Again, what was the purpose of the officer's outburst? Yelling at children - and as it turned out, for no reason - seems both unnecessary and intentionally intimidating. And it only creates needless ill-will.

How often do you hear people say that CBP officers are on a power trip? Far more often than should be the case. To avoid dealing with nasty boorish people is one reason to get Global Entry, but even there, you are not completely immune. (By the way, this problem is not unique to CBP - Canadian Customs officers can be just as bad, but I may be more comfortable pushing back with them).

So what's my point? Simple. You can look out for your own or your country's interests without being petty, rude, vindictive, nasty or crude. In fact, I think you'd be more effective looking out for your country's interests if you weren't any of these things. Rude and boorish people can get ahead in life, but I'd suggest it's in spite of their behaviour, not because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg