AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
I just returned from hunting roe deer in Poland outside of Warsaw. I really enjoy hunting roe deer, the most of any animal. This hunt/hunting was really exceptional. I hunted this area with this hunting club in 2019. I was supposed to return in 2020 and bring my Dad, but it was postponed to 2021, then finally to this year over covid entry requirements. Hunt dates were July 27-31 consisting of 9 morning and evening outings about 0400-0830 and 1800-2130. I took 10 bucks over the trip. My Dad came on this trip and also took 10 bucks. The rut was just starting. We saw some rutting activity every day, but heavy rutting action only started on the last morning and we were finally able to call in bucks. The first day I took 5 great bucks. The 2nd day, I was trying to hold out for really great bucks and passed on two bucks I probably should not have. I had an almost opportunity at a huge buck this evening, but didn’t see him after he stepped into the brush until we spooked him again. The third day was very slow for activity, but I was still searching for exceptional bucks. I took a representative 8 year old buck at last light on the third evening. The fourth day was again somewhat slow, I took a representative buck in morning. That evening the heavy rain started and we were unsure how rest of hunt would go. I took a very old buck, but was my only opportunity that night. The final morning there was a break in rain and rut was really starting. We found a huge buck right next to the hotel. It came into call and I unfortunately missed when it circled behind me. We found another relatively good scoring very old buck and I took him. Then we found a really nice tall old buck. He came right into call and that made 10 for the trip. We tried to find the buck I missed again, but the heavy rain resumed and we called it a day/trip. 10 bucks is a very successful trip to me.
I’ve hunted roe deer in southern France, Spain, and Poland. Poland is my favorite. The hunting club I hunted with controls about 30,000 acres of continuous land. It’s a very non-commercial club. They hunt themselves and take a couple non-resident hunters each year to supplement their club’s income. They get roe deer (around 45 bucks), boars, and small game on quota. There are also many moose in area that you see while hunting but not on quota. You hunt with different club members each day and they really enjoy taking you hunting. They made sure we had a translator every day. It wasn’t necessary but really good of them to provide. The area was reserved for our hunt, but other club members were constantly scouting during our hunt to try and help us be successful. They really put in 100% effort all the time. The amount they know about the roe deer and age of their deer incredible to me. The strict rules the resident hunters must follow really creates this and it shows. It’s a much more personal hunt than nearly any other hunt I’ve been on. Everyone enjoys the hunting and participates even when not directly guiding. The last day, they put on a very nice dinner and drinks with everyone who participated in the hunt. France and Spain were more commercial operations with outfitters/guides not just a hunting club personally selling some excess quota. This personal aspect is what makes it my favorite, but will really be dependent on the specific club you hunt with.
You see roe deer every day, sometimes 20 per outing sometimes only a few. The area consisted of pine trees, brush, corn fields, hay fields, oat/wheat field, and some other smaller crops like canola or potatoes. Villages are scattered throughout area. Some areas were better for visibility than others, but all had great bucks they knew about. I unfortunately have to be at work starting Aug 3 or I would have chosen the first week in August for my hunt and could have had some better rutting action. The constant action and miles covered roe buck hunting is what makes it my favorite. I have photos of all my big deer and a few of my others. I wanted to keep hunting during prime time rather than take photos. If your interested in this hunt, PM me for details. I purposely left out names on this report. I went though a polish agency that arranged the hunt with this club for me. I highly recommend this hunt and will do it again.
6E3BDA55-51FB-498A-86C9-F62A2DB4417F.jpeg
749ADF66-9B47-4737-9228-73A86A2B1F46.jpeg
C6D137F6-07AC-43CA-9BD9-A97021C2339F.jpeg
1EC77CB7-EF56-49F1-966C-FD5EAEB540AB.jpeg
695314EA-B24F-4F85-965B-2E1DC065B94E.jpeg
8130F372-6ED6-4563-8BEC-8D7EB1A3E2E8.jpeg
922BEF96-A6FF-42B5-ABF4-778D0D74EE69.jpeg
F1E6972D-D69D-4A04-8E47-0CCA522C245E.jpeg
FAB485F1-A7B8-4342-B37F-235B5DC4F87F.jpeg
0B8B103A-1AAC-4F08-8C4F-ED9875FCF174.jpeg
9CE13FE7-5741-4FFA-8A1F-2DC29E186F76.jpeg
A1514977-F973-4B10-9A02-BB8494C8386D.jpeg
7095437D-38E1-4CFB-B678-B558651DB2A3.jpeg
3D8DE24E-1388-49DB-8B8F-1370BAC0EAA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed hunting roe bucks and plan to make many trips in the future to hunt them. Sounds like you are in the same boat. You took some really good ones!

Sounds like an interesting hunt. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

I’m glad to hear you had a good time.

Darz Bór

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing.

it's on my list- I was going this year before the Ukraine mess broke out. I'll try again next year.

Very nice. Do you have any other pictures of the landscape/area you were hunting?
I’m bad about stopping to take landscape photos. I’m actually missing a few trophy photos because I chose to keep hunting instead of stopping. The first night I actually took 3 bucks between 8-9 pm as an idea of pace. This is only other photo I have from this trip, cow moose is at center of photo. I’ll PM you some trophy photos from 2019 that show landscape better. The fields look exactly like NW PA/western NY except completely flat. The fields are 5-100 acres depending on field. The land is probably 40% crops, 30% fallow with swamp grass, brush, or golden rods, and 30% woods mostly pine plantations, but also birch and oak.
4E892B2B-3641-45CA-B3E2-D8466F691A84.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed hunting roe bucks and plan to make many trips in the future to hunt them. Sounds like you are in the same boat. You took some really good ones!
Where did you hunt your roe bucks at? I’d like to get an idea of differences between each country (really I want to hunt them in every country), but I really liked how non-commercial this hunt was. It really felt both trips like you were a member of their club.

it's on my list- I was going this year before the Ukraine mess broke out. I'll try again next year.
From my perspective, you couldn’t tell there was a war in Ukraine. They said crime had not changed and no refugees were visible. They did say they had new Ukrainian neighbors at the apartments some of them lived at. Also one member of club was involved heavily with church, temporarily housing them and helping them get visas to different countries.But from my perspective, there were no differences from my hunt there in 2019.

Yeah I had to book in March to make things go and it has just started. With the uncertainty of how big it might have gotten, I past. Although I would have probably still gone myself, if my whole family wasn't making the trip also. I decided to be mature in my decision making at the time :D

Congrats, you got some nice ones and enjoyed yourself.

Yes, hunting with a Club is different, I had that experience in Finland.

Thanks for sharing !

Looks like some very fine Roe deer. Congrats and thanks for sharing
Bruce

Well done. Poland certainly has great Roe Buck stalking. This bring fond memories of my trip there a long time ago.

Sounds like a good time. I too greatly enjoy hunting Roe Bucks. Hope to get back over the Eastern Europe soon to do it again

I will also post weights of roe bucks once official. My best buck is buck with black antler tip and weighed 450 gram net (full skull minus 90 gram) unofficially.
I received official weights. I’m posting this to help anyone interested in booking a roe deer hunt. This was a fixed price hunt but many are charged by weight or score depending where you hunt. CIC score is confusing to me, but grams is easy for me to understand. The top 6 bucks weighed 380, 390, 410, 420, 430, 460 grams net (full skull minus 90 grams). The 7th buck in photos was 270 grams. From what I’ve seen 300-350 is a very nice representative roe buck, 350-400 is a nice trophy, 400-450 are really nice trophies, and 450 starts the really exceptional trophies. I hope I can break 500 grams on a future hunt.

I received official weights. I’m posting this to help anyone interested in booking a roe deer hunt. This was a fixed price hunt but many are charged by weight or score depending where you hunt. CIC score is confusing to me, but grams is easy for me to understand. The top 6 bucks weighed 380, 390, 410, 420, 430, 460 grams net (full skull minus 90 grams). The 7th buck in photos was 270 grams. From what I’ve seen 300-350 is a very nice representative roe buck, 350-400 is a nice trophy, 400-450 are really nice trophies, and 450 starts the really exceptional trophies. I hope I can break 500 grams on a future hunt.

So I have actually wondered about the weight system myself.

All Roe deer heads are weighed and then 90 grams are subtracted from the total weight to eliminate the skull weight?

I am assuming it’s the same for Fallow and Red Deer, but subtracting a larger amount?

Thanks for the info. I attempted to goggle that scoring system one time and couldn’t figure it out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg