Point of Aim?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Knowledge basis: I'm primarily a rifle shooter but at times also shoot handguns and shotguns. My present problem is that I've been invited to a wild turkey hunt and need a shotgun that has a dense pattern in a 10" circle at 30 yards. I took the prospective shotguns to the range, set-up targets at 30 yards and blasted away. Results were varied- but one thing I wondered about was the possibility that a shotgun had a tight pattern, but was off of the paper.
I'm going to make another trip to the range, this time setting the targets closer, possibly 15 yards- so the pattern will still be tight and I could determine the pattern center- so to readjust my sim point.
Is there a better way to sort the guns out as far as figuring which is best for the desired pattern?

Are you using red dot, or some kind of optics on shotguns for this purpose?

In that case, I am basically clueless.

I just sold a SBE2 and used nothing but the beads for Turkey. Had good patterns out to 50 yards with this combo.
1648826054990.jpeg

Might I suggest that it is more of a combination of things, not just the shotgun. It’s the barrel length, shot used, choke and distance to the target. All of these play a factor in POA/POI. Doing the pattern testing is the hard part.

I made up these sheets to keep track of what I’ve done with each shotgun for future reference. A real time saver in the field.

You need a pattern board not just a target. The big sheets of craft paper at Lowes or HD will work 36" or bigger. Tape sheets together if necessary. Orange dot (or anything) centered for POA.

You are first trying to see if the gun fit is good, i.e. is the pattern centered. Without work, most shotguns pattern low for me.

Do you have a shotgun with fixed chokes? If you can outfit a turkey choke that will do wonders. Also I would suggest if legal TSS number 9 shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!