PLEASE, PLEASE, PAHLEEEEESE GET FIT FOR YOUR HUNT IN AFRICA..!

This is a great topic, one that has always been of interest to me. I have been fortunate enough to have a "hobby" that keeps me extremely fit for all my hunting adventures. I have been riding and racing bicycles for 30 years. All disciplines, road, MTB's and a rather new sport, ultra distance adventure racing. I will honestly tell you, it has brought me more outstanding hunting trophies than anyone thing I can think of. I believe we would all agree that a PH wants his clients to shoot big stuff. If he sees a client show up really fit, he likely figures he can pass up the first "representative" trophy and pursue something special.

I hunted LDE in CAR in 2012. We tracked the same herd of Eland for 5 days. We would begin in the morning, where we left the herd the prior evening. Everyday we would get glimpses or perhaps a tawny flash. They tend to slow-up and stop at dark. we would catch them, only to run out of light prior being able to sort out a bull among the many other LDE. On day 5 of tracking we caught them at noon at a mud hole. I made the shot and we closed the deal. The tracking wasn't difficult but relentless and pretty fast. Knowing every time we slowed or stopped they would widen the gap. You must keep moving.

Point being, bikes are literally the fountain of youth. NO IMPACT, not hard on knees, back or ankles. Anyone can start, besides, the activity itself is fun and not a "chore." Give it some serious thought.

Steve
1009066_1377332645819368_569772054_o.jpg

What about the arse? :ROFLMAO:

Well there's always that. :D

In all honesty, that is a two to three week thing. You simply work through it. After that, its a non-issue. Another positive, I can literally eat as much of anything I want, no weight gain. At 57 years old, I feel fantastic.

Well there's always that. :D

In all honesty, that is a two to three week thing. You simply work through it. After that, its a non-issue. Another positive, I can literally eat as much of anything I want, no weight gain. At 57 years old, I feel fantastic.

I hear you and I'm fortunate, been skinny from day one and can eat pretty much anything in any amount and still not gain weight but even with biking, going to the gym and eating right some are sabotaged by their genetics. Getting in shape for them is nothing short of a Sisyphean task. Having said that, I hope PHs and outfitters would take care to not discourage them from taking on a hunt albeit at a slower pace.

this is a big deal even over here in the states. i went on an elk hunt this past October in Colorado. we hunted up to 11500 feet and down to 7000. it was beyond hard. i trained hard for that and it sill whooped me up. some of the guys in my camp were over 350lbs. needless to say, they didnt hunt much .

IMG_6437.JPG
IMG_6448.JPG
IMG_6450.JPG

this is a big deal even over here in the states. i went on an elk hunt this past October in Colorado. we hunted up to 11500 feet and down to 7000. it was beyond hard. i trained hard for that and it sill whooped me up. some of the guys in my camp were over 350lbs. needless to say, they didnt hunt much .

Yep. I have lived in Colorado some 40+ years and it doesn’t get any easier. Every year there are stories of hunters coming from low altitudes trying to hunt. Occasionally one will have an aneurism and die on a mountain. Skiers also have the same issues. Even rafters die almost every year from falling into the ice cold water causing a heart attack.

You definitely either need to be in good or better great shape, or plan on sitting in camp and keep the fire going.

Yep. I have lived in Colorado some 40+ years and it doesn’t get any easier. Every year there are stories of hunters coming from low altitudes trying to hunt. Occasionally one will have an aneurism and die on a mountain. Skiers also have the same issues. Even rafters die almost every year from falling into the ice cold water causing a heart attack.

You definitely either need to be in good or better great shape, or plan on sitting in camp and keep the fire going.
I am headed to Colorado for my first elk hunt in the fall from Texas. We are looking at DYI 3rd or 4th gun season. I am working on getting as ready as possible for an old fat 57 year old. Maybe I will get lucky and a blizzard will push them to a lower elevation !

where abouts are you in Colorado? we hunted gunnison area .

I am headed to Colorado for my first elk hunt in the fall from Texas. We are looking at DYI 3rd or 4th gun season. I am working on getting as ready as possible for an old fat 57 year old. Maybe I will get lucky and a blizzard will push them to a lower elevation !
The weather has been very warm the past few years . Be prepared to go high

Lon
where abouts are you in Colorado? we hunted gunnison area .
Longmont

I’ve hunted south of Gunnison around Lake City. Also near Granby, Camp Hale, Buena Vista, Rawahs on the Laramie River, Deadman, North Park, Steamboat, and I think that’s it. Taken 17 elk. Took my last near Granby and hauled 3 loads myself for 1 1/2 miles through mostly deadfall. My 40+ year old partner hauled 2 loads. I was 69 then, 5’8” and 156 lbs. I’ll be 71 this season and debating if I want to hire a guide just so I don’t have to haul another one out(n).

Lon

Longmont

I’ve hunted south of Gunnison around Lake City. Also near Granby, Camp Hale, Buena Vista, Rawahs on the Laramie River, Deadman, North Park, Steamboat, and I think that’s it. Taken 17 elk. Took my last near Granby and hauled 3 loads myself for 1 1/2 miles through mostly deadfall. My 40+ year old partner hauled 2 loads. I was 69 then, 5’8” and 156 lbs. I’ll be 71 this season and debating if I want to hire a guide just so I don’t have to haul another one out(n).

A guide with a nice team of pack mules is a beautiful thing when you've down a big elk.

pack-mules-jpg.209619

Attachments

• pack mules.jpg
    pack mules.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 139
Lon

Longmont

Awesome . I’m still elk less. I was going to go back but leaning toward Africa while I’m young and have the money

For some reason, after Africa, I have zero desire to hunt the western U.S. or Alaska for any big game animal. Between the exorbitant non resident license fees, byzantine regulations, tag lotteries, what seems to me like a state run extortion scheme and going after only one animal, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort. It may be for residents but a total non starter for this guy. Is it me or do others have the same attitude?

https://wildlife.utah.gov/license-permit-fees.html

Reading this page is enough to make me say FK Utah.

Last edited:

If it is hot, I’d find water and work the dark timber on the north side of the mountain. Find the benches with grass and you might find their beds.

Another serious issue is all the beetle killed trees! Any wind can blow them over! As I walked back in for my last haul out, two trees fell just a few yards from me in different places. Scary especially when you’re alone.

It all comes down to common sense training. Back in 1986 I lost 60 lbs when I booked my first mtn hunt. Mountain goat on the Kenai peninsula of Alaska. The following year I dropped another 20 lbs for my Dall sheep hunt. My point is I’m now 60 years old and this past August I harvested a vahl rhebok on the eastern cape. It was difficult, the miles I covered in Limpopo hunting buffalo the week before also took its toll on my aging body. I m on my feet all day at work constantly moving, I come home and run on my treadmill 2 .5 miles 5 day’s a week. Bottom line book a hunt where you can have a good chance of keeping up. Let’s face it I know my mtn hunts for something like stone sheep are long over. Train smart for your age. Get in the best shape possible. Africa can be tough no doubt. The eastern cape if hunted right will demand you be able to walk.

If it is hot, I’d find water and work the dark timber on the north side of the mountain. Find the benches with grass and you might find their beds.

Another serious issue is all the beetle killed trees! Any wind can blow them over! As I walked back in for my last haul out, two trees fell just a few yards from me in different places. Scary especially when you’re alone.
I was in this drainage during a windy morning . One of the scariest times of my life. Deadfull blowing everywhere around me
A160A90E-AA66-4FFA-8676-04754DE13053.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, after Africa, I have zero desire to hunt the western U.S. or Alaska for any big game animal. Between the exorbitant non resident license fees, byzantine regulations, tag lotteries, what seems to me like a state run extortion scheme and going after only one animal, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort. It may be for residents but a total non starter for this guy. Is it me or do others have the same attitude?

https://wildlife.utah.gov/license-permit-fees.html

Reading this page is enough to make me say FK Utah.
I agree the fees for non residents is outrageous. Colorado point system even makes you pay for the entire tag up front the. Wait a few month for a refund . Non residents tags are 430ish for a cow close to 700 for bull. I’ll probably never hunt Colorado for elk again due to this system . Illinois is similar. Combo whitetail archery tag is 482 if I remember . It’s always said to have high non resident fees to keep the resident fees low. I think it’s a scam

Yes I agree fees are completely out of control. I hunted whitetail several years back in Montana,$500 for the tag! Simply crazy.

+1

My place in Southern CO is at 9200ft.. you MIGHT see elk at that elevation by 3rd season.. but there was hardly a trace of them this past year.. They pretty much stayed right at the edge of the tree line (about 11,500) and wouldnt come any further down...

also a big +1 on the beetles.. its a shame how much of the forest they have killed off.. huge swaths of land are devastated not too far from our place.. Thankfully we havent seen a lot of beetle damage in our immediate area (yet)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois