Plains Game Rifles

BARTFRNCS

AH enthusiast
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
304
Reaction score
45
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
RMEF DU SCI NRA
Hunted
CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
Whats the opinion about the 300win mag for plains game with a premium bullet like the tsx or accubond.
 
I have used the 300 Win Mag so have in RSA and Namibia to take most of the plains game animals. TSX or Accubond bond bullets in the 180 grain weight class will kill most anything in the plains game class.
 
it should do the job...

however a move up to the 8 mm, 338 or 340 i think is better...

but how dead is dead...take what you shoot well
 
Depending on the area you are going to hunt you could find better options, but the one you say will work perfectly, as allways with a good shot.
 
Nothing wrong with a 180gr TSX bullet and shooting around 3000fps you will flatten any plainsgame even Giraffe you will just have to do your part and learn the shot placements.

The penetration those bullets give are unbelieveable but I still think the 338 win mag loaded with 225gr TSX is the best for plainsgame.
 
Fully agree with Frederik, I have used a .338WM with 225gr Swift A-Frame on plainsgame most were 1 shot kills.
 
Common opinion is that the 300WM is a bit fast for typical bush hunting, yet the only real problem with high speed calibres is bullet disintegration. With decent bullets though, that argument loses steam.
The only other argument against the 300WM is its recoil, but with proper technique, and a well built rifle, it shouldn't bother most people unless they're shooting 20 rounds or more, which I trust you wouldn't do while hunting.
 
Whats the opinion about the 300win mag for plains game with a premium bullet like the tsx or accubond.

I used my 300 WM in RSA last year shooting 180gr TSX's. The shots varied from 60 to 120 yards. The only animal that did not get a pass through and went any appreciable distance was due to bad shot placement. Still nothing got away and the animals hit properly dropped within 50 yards.

The TSX performance from what I saw was fantastic. They don't shoot particularly accurately in my rifle and I will use 200gr A-Frames in the future. A bit slower but very accurate in my rifle. The other reason for stepping up in the weight is I hope Eland will be on the menu next time I go.

But if the TSX of Tipped TSX shoot well in your rifle, I'd say you'd be fine. I don't have hunting experience with Accubond to offer an opinion on them.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,335
Messages
1,573,242
Members
169,726
Latest member
FayChecchi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top