Reactions: lcq

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I've come to the sad realty that "cheap hunts" are overpriced in many ways. So much of an Africa trip is a fixed cost and so little is a variable cost it just doesn't add up. Let me give you some math for examples:

Last year, booked a hunt on 144,000 sq. KM area for myself. Literally, I rented an area about 1/6 the size of Rhode Island by luck of the draw.

Bag / Tags I purchased:

Kudu
Giraffe
Zebra
Warthog
Impala (9)
Hyena
Baboons (2)
Steenbok
Francolin
Sandgrouse
Guinea Fowl
Doves/Pigeons

I then bought my guns.

I then bought my binos.

I then bought my travel essentials.

Travel Insurance / Rescue.

Taxidermy.

Trip transport.

Airline Tickets.

Daily Rates.

The total was:

$10,000 for bag/camp
$8000 for daily rates
$400 for transport
$400 for lodging before/after
$20,000 for rifles
$3000 for binoculars
$1500 for gadgets/cases
$5000 for airfare

Basically, all-in I spent $40,000 to have a fair chase, wild environment experience in a fly camp. It was a memorable time but I planned poorly. For example:

I could have added a Leopard for about $4000 more (world record book quality...saw several but had no tag). Dumb. I could have added a tuskless elephant for $4000 more. Dumb.

Dangerous game rates would have been the same.

So if I go back this year, I'll spend about $30k all-in and I'll hunt 3 of the dangerous 7 along with some nice plains game, roughly the same price as last time. (guns don't need to be purchased again, nor do gadgets)

Even if you go "super cheap" and get one of those $8000 hunts for 4-5 animals, you can spend say $12,000 and hunt maybe 10-12 animals. Bottom line, don't go all the way over there and go cheap on the actual game bag when that is a tiny piece of the costs. Save up, get a bigger bag.

JAC

Reaction score
how do i PM? i would like to get my hands on one of these spread sheets yall are talking about.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
how do i PM? i would like to get my hands on one of these spread sheets yall are talking about.
The PM system on AH is called Conversations. If you go to your Inbox at http://www.africahunting.com/conversations/ you will find your messages there. If you want to start a conversation, go to your Inbox at http://www.africahunting.com/conversations/ and click on the button that says Start a New Conversation or go to the following link: http://www.africahunting.com/conversations/add.

Also by clicking on a member's avatar, a window will open up giving you the ability to click on a link called Start a Conversation to send a message to that member.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
truenorth1 the extra paperwork and separate shipping container only apply if you are shipping the trophy back to the usa for the taxidermy work. If you have the mounts done in Africa a warthog comes back in the shipping crate with everything else.

firehuntfish

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
truenorth 1,

As AZDAVE touched upon, the laws only apply to swine and primate parts that have been dip & packed. Fully finished taxidermy is not subject to USDA inspection like unfinished animal parts. However, there is no law that states swine/primate parts cannot be shipped as a container within a container. In other words, it is perfectly acceptable to have your dip & pack company put the box/crate containing swine/primates inside of the main shipping crate as long as it is properly labeled, packed and sealed.

Should you have swine/primate parts to ship, I would request this of your dip & pack or taxidermy company. I have done it for years with my own dip & packed trophy parts. It will save you some money.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeneseGall

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.